D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Richard Judge

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Richard Judge » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Good advice Jack.
I have found practising the extensions has been difficult but very useful, even though I am finding them hard I am slowly improving.
I'm the same with this too. I'm trying to use the tips off here but it will take time to get my fingers to do the stretches. Try holding the left hand positions and getting your hand to relax while maintaining the position. This helps release tension. As others have said thumb position is the key.
Hopefully a second post from me soon.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Jack Jarrett wrote:Ned, When I try to watch your videos it say they are private. You need to change the setting I think.
Hi Jack

Sorry about this. I have now changed the settings and hope the videos are accessible now. I got fed up of people e-mailing me after watching my videos to try and get me to subscribe to their channels....I think I had put them on public and I guess the best setting is unlisted.
Good to hear your thoughts about making videos of practice. It's a bit of an effort to edit a long practice video just to select the good bit...I haven't yet figured out video editing. So I find I have to turn the camera on before and off after each take or piece. It becomes a bit of a palaver shifting position all the time between guitarist and cameraman...there must be a better method but I haven't found it yet. Probably figuring out video editing would be useful so I could just isolate a section of my practice and then put that on youtube.

Richard
Thanks for helpful thoughts on relaxing the left wrist while practising the extensions...

Hope people can access my videos now

Ned

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Ned,
:bravo:
Very good! You did a nice job on both pieces with nice tonal variations and personal touches, especially the ending!
Your tone is good and the recording is well done, much improved from earlier posts. Did you upgrade your recording equipment?

I have sent for a new usb condensing microphone with the hopes that the quality of sound will be good from my computer, without the need of synching my edirol 09 hr recording with the video, which is takes way too much time. I have found that I am just using my computer to record the video and the Windows movie maker software to edit, as this is the fastest way to do it I have found.I would rather sacrifice the video quality in order to speed the whole thing up.

And I have noticed the requests for friends increasing on Youtube as well, but just ignore them, (although I have seen some remarkably talented guitarists on there).I guess I didn't know about the unlisted setting either and I will change mine to that setting.
Keep up the qood work!
Jack

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:13 pm

:bravo: Ned. Very good Valse. I think you need some more work on the bouncing, and all else is perfect. :casque:
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Cheating a little and just uploading recordings for my 2nd posts. It may be a little early but I'm working on a lot of material right now, and hopefully there is enough bounce in my Valse! :)
Carcassi, Valse Op 59.mp3
Fernando Sor Opus 35 Ex. 2.mp3
Excercise 9 pg 87.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Thank you Jack and Goran for your comments.
No Jack, I haven't upgraded my recording equipment. I am simply using the video recording setting on my digital camera with the in-built microphone. It is not very sophisticated but it is better than the webcam and in-built mike on my computer, which is an iMac. I have got a program called iMovie which has basic film editing functions but I have not spent time figuring out how it works yet....probably that would be the next step...
As for Youtube friends, at least you got approached by talented guitarists, most of my responses were from budding young DJs wanting to promote their own careers!
Goran Penic wrote:I think you need some more work on the bouncing, and all else is perfect.
thanks Goran. I played the piece with thumb damping, where it is marked but I did not damp with the fingers in the first section. I notice Jean-François Delcamp does this. I am not sure how else to add bounce other than by exaggerating the syncopation.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 pm

:bravo: Jack - just listened to your recordings, sounds very good to me. I like the evenness of volume and tone, sounds like you have a very steady right hand technique. The one thing you miss with a sound recording of course is seeing you play so it is harder to comment in detail on technique. It sounded as if. like me, you did not damp with the fingers during the first section of the Valse, and watching M. Delcamp again, I see that he does this.
The extensions sound like they are coming along well.

Ned

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 pm

To Jack:
:bravo:
sounds very good.
No constructive critisism, sorry.

To Ned:
I am not sure how else to add bounce other than by exaggerating the syncopation.
I don´t think it needs exaggerating. But the 1/8 rest underneath each d and b in the first phrase just creates the bouncing effect together with respecting the preceding note values. Which means sometimes you have to damp. During my first two weeks of practicing I did not realize it, but now I have learned.
I Guess a better term for bouncing, would be, hmm, valse? :lol:

Coen

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Well done Jack and Ned
I've nothing to add that hasn't already been said in terms of critique.
I have tried Jacks record it all and edit afterwards tip. These two are the last of my practice this morning before work. I'm not sure that the "morning practice is better" works so well when there is a short time limit. :(
Valse by Sor
[media]https://youtu.be/ClJ8ratAQzA[/media]
Valse by Carcassi
[media]https://youtu.be/PO8eNWzuMF8[/media]
My main problem with this piece is that the strings hit the nails on my right hand when they are damping. I think I am not getting the nail/flesh contact point quite right.
(The hesitance at the end is because the screen saver came on on my laptop and I wasn't sure whether it was still recording :shock: )

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 pm

My lesson 2 submissions. I'm getting a little annoyed by the sound of the D'Addario composites, although I recall liking them on my spruce top. Time to try on Savarez 500PR's with the rectified trebles. Be prepared for some squeaks :D

Extensions:

[media]https://youtu.be/L8JhuMidE5s[/media]

Damping:

[media]https://youtu.be/xZOkDIxIh0M[/media]

Carcassi Valse:

[media]https://youtu.be/FU9d4FGEhXk[/media]
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Marko, :bravo:
Very nice!

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

:bravo: Marko. Very good. :casque:
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 am

Well done Marko, good work.

I neglected to post my extensions practice when I did the lesson, so here it is now.

[media]https://youtu.be/N6Jqe7_SCmE[/media]

Ned

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:13 am

Very good extensions practice Ned!! Your wrist was straight, and you shifted your elbow position to accommodate for the changing hand positions, just as you're supposed to do! :bravo:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 2. I finally used my chair and foot stool for the Carcassi Valse. I need to get back in the habit of playing like that again, instead of just seating lazily on the couch! lol :oops: Thank you for listening. Let me know if it is clipping, and I will turn down my audio recording level more.

Extensions:
[media]https://youtu.be/zIHaXms1rfs&feature=context&context=C4c77874ADvjVQa1PpcFPL05a8NKtzP4bQKkyOhWGlXzG7K2DLPpY=[/media]

Damping no. 54
[media]https://youtu.be/UPF3nP3cd_I&feature=context&context=C4c77874ADvjVQa1PpcFPL05a8NKtzP4bQKkyOhWGlXzG7K2DLPpY=[/media]

Carcassi- Valse opus 59
[media]https://youtu.be/mj_H3TQXK30&feature=channel[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”