D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
abielikesu

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by abielikesu » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Here I post my first video for the second lesson.

(D04) Losy, Jan Antonín - Capriccio, en la mineur

It's still not too fast, but hopefully I was able to play it with some expression.
Speeding it up would require a closer look at the fingering, it seems.

[media]https://youtu.be/SZGjmfgbTX8[/media]

Thanks for watching, and all constructive comments welcome.

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Abie, Very nice! I think the tempo is OK, the piece sounds fine played like that. Look at the 11th measure, I think you are rushing the 3rd beat, maybe playing d-e as 16th notes. Otherwise it's smooth and musical and pleasant to hear. Well done. I am going along on this one OK, I've been experimenting with the right hand fingerings. The other pieces are coming along more slowly. There is kind of a lot to look at this lesson!

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Goran Penic wrote::bravo: Giuseppe, very good. :casque: :merci:
thank you very much Goran :bye: :merci: :merci:

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Greg Johnson wrote:Hi Abie, Very nice! I think the tempo is OK, the piece sounds fine played like that. Look at the 11th measure, I think you are rushing the 3rd beat, maybe playing d-e as 16th notes. Otherwise it's smooth and musical and pleasant to hear. Well done.
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the comments. I've checked the 11th measure and can see what you mean. I'll work on fixing the rithm there.
Greg Johnson wrote: I am going along on this one OK, I've been experimenting with the right hand fingerings.
I use the "a" right hand finger a lot in this piece. I found it to be easier this way.
Greg Johnson wrote:The other pieces are coming along more slowly. There is kind of a lot to look at this lesson!
Yes, there's a lot to work on this time. I've just started working on Tarrega's Andantino. Hopefully I'll be able to post my first version soon. Looking forward to watching your videos also.

:merci:

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:04 am

Giuseppe--great work on the Tarrega Andantino--quite fluid and clean. I enjoyed the Carcassi Waltz too, especially your use of dynamics and your phrasing.

Jeremy--I totally agree about damping. I didn't take it seriously until working on the D02 lessons last year. I feel grateful for M. Delcamp for incorporating this into his courses. It makes a big difference in the overall effect.

Abie--nice work on the Losy, clean and clear. This one has been hard for me to work up to speed too.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:39 am

Hi All
Also I think damping makes a big difference, but it is hard...very hard.....I never used this technique before.
I just started the D03 and try a bit of D04 for fun now and then. If you dont mind I would really like to know how you all perform the damping in the Losy piece, Cappricio.
I tried several vcombinations:
1. Play the bass line with only p. This goes ok for damping, but you cant build up speed than. I also learned it is always better to alternate fingers always. So, no-go for the p-p-p.
2.I tried to play the first bass note in every measure with p (Mostly you have to because its two note at the same time), the rest with i and m and damp with a. This goes ok, but gives me a headache because it is just too hard.
3. I am trying to play the first bass always with p. Then play as much as possibly with i and m. Play the note where damping occurs with p, because you can play it apayondo and immidiately damp the previous note, then continue the rest of the sequence with m,i.

Up to now the last solution seems best to me.I am grealty interested in your experiences.
It would be great if mr Delcamp could add the suggested damping to the piece, like */p, or */a.
On the otrher hand, experimenting is a good way to learn too.

Coen

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:57 am

Here I post my second video for lesson 2: Tarrega's andantino
This time I managed to get a better image from my phone's front facing camera.

[media]https://youtu.be/MDKe6DZHA54[/media]

again, all constructive comments welcome.

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I also thank Mr Delcamp for including the damping technique in the lessons. It's helped me a lot.
Coen van Dijk wrote:Hi All
Also I think damping makes a big difference, but it is hard...very hard.....I never used this technique before.
I just started the D03 and try a bit of D04 for fun now and then. If you dont mind I would really like to know how you all perform the damping in the Losy piece, Cappricio...
Coen
Coen, In my case I damp with the P. I'm kind of getting the hang of it now.
In Tarrega's Andantino in La there is one where the P plays the E and has to damp the D. It always landed on the A, so I had to do a lot of slow repetitions to convince it to jump a bit to the D, lazy P!

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 pm

On the Losy Capriccio, I do play the bass melody line with all p, i.e. p-p-p-p, etc. This works okay for me and I have seen fingering like this in various classical transcripts by Segovia and others.

My default damping technique for bass notes is to damp with the right hand p, as if I were playing the note to be damped but stopping short of playing and just touching it with the pad of the thumb instead. For trebles it is similar, except using i,m, or a (whichever is conveniently available) instead of p. However, I noticed that passages in several of the pieces where damping is required (both for treble and bass notes) seem very similar to some of the damping exercises we are also assigned this time (what a coincidence!). So there are many cases were you can damp with the left-hand finger that is playing the next note, similar to the left-hand damping exercises. There are several places like this in the Capriccio. This is easier than the 2nd strike required by right hand damping, so I use this whenever possible.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks for the comments Jeremy and Abie

I also noticed that the bass note D could be damped by the left hand 3-finger when playing the bass note C, I forgot to mentioned it, it was my very first try. Like you said Jeremy, because of the excersises it follows naturaly. However, since I am practicing to get me left hand fingers stand straight on its tips, I try to avoid this damping method. My left hand fingers tend always to damp the notes unwanted, because of an incorrect position. :oops: Therefore I try to avoid this damping method at the moment.

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:00 am

Hi everybody! :) The pressure here is very strong :( , I just started to record the lessons for this course :casque: . Here is the improvisation 4, [media]https://youtu.be/SYOswYHUTbY[/media].

And here is the Andantino by Tárrega, I did some obvious mistakes :desole: and I intend to correct them in the next future. This is the video [media]https://youtu.be/Yxq0Ipzt72o[/media]. C&C are greatly appreciated. :bye:
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:05 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/VhrV1hnRTNA[/media]Hello everyone, I insert the whim. :bye: :discussion:

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Elías López- Abie.Solano Andantino :bravo: :bravo: :bye:

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Abie and Giuseppe! :) Good rendering of the capriccio :bravo:

The andantino by Tárrega is also a good work :bravo: :bye:
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Abie--nice job on the Tarrega. Perhaps a little more volume in the bass?

Elias--good start on the Tarrega. My only suggestion is to take it more slowly.

Giuseppe--great job on the Losy. The voices were very clear and expressive

Here's my Capricio. I made a couple of rhythmic mistakes and I still can't get it up to quarter=132!!

[media]https://youtu.be/djGBiIWGNN8[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”