D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
ShaneSingleton

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by ShaneSingleton » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:30 pm

Mark_Steed wrote: Yes this counting business is tres difficile! :!: In fact the only recording that didn't sound great was the one when you were counting
Thank you very much.

I agree about the counting. I've been trying to count out loud and play for nearly 25 years and it's still a challenge for me. Some of the common mistakes I make when counting are mixing the numbers up that I'm speaking out loud with left-hand fingerings. I'll frequently put my index finger down when I say the word "one", middle down when I say the word "two", and so on and it isn't until my ear registers that I'm playing the wrong note that I realize what has happened. The other thing that happens is I'll start saying the fingerings out loud, so I might say "4 and 1 and 3 and 2 and". It makes for some really funny yet frustrating mistakes as I start playing notes or saying numbers that don't even make any sense. It never happens when I count internally though, only when I vocalize. I also really struggle with singing while I play, which was always a challenge when I used to play bass in a rock band. In fact, I have extreme difficulty talking or listening to other people talk while I play. It is as if the use of the language parts of my brain just derails my physical coordination and concentration. I tend to do very well if I use a foot tap, rock my torso, or head nod to keep the beat though.

Now one thing I'm considering trying is counting in Spanish or French to see if I can do any better, two languages that I can read with difficulty but can barely even speak. My logic behind this is that I normally can't sing and play guitar at the same time, at least not very well. I just end up doing very poorly at both singing and playing. The one exception was I was in a guitar ensemble years and years ago in college. I was never able to sing along with the songs that were in English, but then we started working on a few South American songs, including "Llegando esta el carnaval". Suddenly I was able to play chords, strum rhythms, and sing (in harmony) without any problems. It was a total blast and I really enjoyed myself, but I didn't know Spanish at that time so I barely understood what I was singing. It was more like my voice was just another instrument. But if I use English...? No bueno! It just doesn't seem to come that easy for me.

The brain is a weird thing indeed.

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Most interesting Shane - I think I shall try Un et etc or is it Une or go for the Ta Ti Tum method - clearly been a problem for music students for millenia! So has spelling for that matter.

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Smooth playing Shane.
Here's a second try on the Lo, nous marchons sur un etroit chemin:
[media]https://youtu.be/E969dY-IcpY[/media]

As I talked about when posting my last recording, the E string is resonating when playing E at string 4. I'll demonstrate it in this short recording
[media]https://youtu.be/Lh3Phn85VK4[/media]
What I'm doing is to play E on string 4, damp string 4. Notice the sound from the E string (6). Then damp string 6.

Any thoughts? Leave it vibrating or damp it?
Alhambra 11P

ShaneSingleton

Post by ShaneSingleton » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:33 am

I had similar problems with sympathetic resonance on the E as well for Nous Marchon. For that reason I would have chosen to use i and a instead of p in many parts of the song if the fingerings were up to me. I think Delcamp's logic was that we need to work on thumb dexterity and we weren't intended to worry about the sympathetic resonance as much in this piece.

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Yes, that makes sence. Thank you.
Alhambra 11P

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi fellow students and guitarists to be; Here are my goes at Si Si Re and Happy Birthday - if you can enjoy "good on ya" :casque:
:bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:03 pm

:bravo: Mark. Very good.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks :merci: Goren now my go at Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Now my Aguado :)

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Good work, Mark! Nice counting on si,si,re! One half note instead of a whole note in the beginning of the Aguado.
Alhambra 11P

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks for the feedback Havard. My damping is not happening when trying to play in time etc. Tough!

Vincent_Pera

Post by Vincent_Pera » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I hope everythings fine. I find Lesson 03 a little bit difficult in comparison to Lesson 02. Now, with the counting, damping and RH fingering at the same time.. :)

Anyhow, here is my practice videos for Lesson 03.

SiSiRe
[media]https://youtu.be/tCJQQ_X2jJ0[/media]

Good Morning To All
[media]https://youtu.be/S9r0EgRFUgo[/media]

Leccion 5a
[media]https://youtu.be/41IQPyKmBYY[/media]

Lo, Nous Marchons Sur Un Etroit Chemin
[media]https://youtu.be/BtVsSYwnrvI[/media]

Looking forward to your feedback and comments.

Thanks and best regards!

Vincent

ShaneSingleton

Post by ShaneSingleton » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Great work Vincent! You're definitely going to be able to catch up. I suggest moving onto the next lesson right away.

Vincent_Pera

Post by Vincent_Pera » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 am

Thanks Shane! I'm really hoping that I could catch up. I guess I'll just have to see it. For me every new lessons each week is a surprise :)
By the way, i already posted my lesson 04 videos.

Best regards!

Vincent

RaphaelPazos

Post by RaphaelPazos » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:19 am

Hello all.
I had problems with my guitar:
Oh noes.jpg
I work as a mate on a merchant navy ship and all this travelling gets in the way of my studies and affects the integrity of my guitar. So, enough with the QQ:
si si re.mp3
parabens.mp3
Leccion 5.mp3
lo nouns marchons sur un etroit chemin.mp3

Some of the recording are quite bad because I've been testing different methods and also been playing around with Audacity.
Thanks to Mr. Robert, the plucking is much better because I've trimmed my nails.
Si Si Re.....I tried for days to record this while counting aloud. This recording is the first attempt with no counting. There's no video image but trust me, I was bobbing my head and tapping my foot. Once you've played a lot, it's even a fun tune to play!

I've got no intention of putting all my recordings to try and take the test because I'd have to rush my learning and, that's not the way to do it I believe. I'll work on the pieces calmly and maybe next season I'll be able to take the tests.

Thank you all
Raphael Pazos

Thank you all

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”