D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Goran Penic

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:45 pm

:bravo: Donna, this is very good. :merci:
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Goran Penic wrote:
DonnaSutliff wrote:I am trying to delete this message, but have not been able to.
OK Donna, this is your video:

[media]https://youtu.be/5pECwd9eCxc[/media]

You just must put code after "..v=" from Youtube in this case code is "5pECwd9eCxc" and your link to video is:

Code: Select all

[youtube]5pECwd9eCx[/youtube]

Hi Donna! :) Good rendering of your exercises :bravo: . I envy your ability at not seeing to your left hand :!: , only a small objection, your thumb is "appearing" too up in the fretboard. Congrats. :bye:
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

DonnaSutliff

Post by DonnaSutliff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I have worried about my thumb position for years. At the few guitar lessons I had from an Eastman School graduate student in classical guitar over 15 years ago, I asked about my thumb position, and he didn't seem concerned. I have tried very hard to change it, but I can't do it without feeling unnatural. I have watched some videos of other professional guitarists play, and sometimes their thumb is where mine is. So maybe it's not such a bad thing? I'd like to hear more opinions about this.

DonnaSutliff

Post by DonnaSutliff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:16 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/5pECwd9eCxc[/media]

This is a YouTube test

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm

To Goran: As good as always.... 8)

Hi Ned: Excellent start. I also agree about greensleves. You have to work a bit on the rhythem. But iam sure it will sound super in a week.

to Donna: Also very good. I found the volume of your guitar a bit low, but I heard you tapping your foot( I Think) pretty good. Maybe change microphone position? Or just pluck the strings harder? Dont be afraid to make some noise :D . About the paganini piece: your ar getting there, but you need to improve the damping of the basses.

About thumb position. I guess it matters less if you have long, flexibe fingers, which you seem to have. If you have small hands, you have to maximize you reach by a perfect thumb position, I think.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Donna, to delte a post:
click on the "x"at the top right of the nessgae you want to delete.
The x is located somewhere here ...................................................................................................I

The x only appears if you have written the post. YOu cannot delte other peoples messages.
I never tried the x myselve, but I guess thats how it works...
Last edited by Coen van Dijk on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Oh, I almost forgot to post my own work.
Here it is, I know you dont here the basses too well, but its a problem of my microphone, a cheap chatting mic.
The technical studies wil follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:23 pm

:merci: Thanks to Ross, Goran and Coen for your responses. I agree the timing can do with a little work especially on Greensleeves, I am now playing with a metronome for a change and this seems to be helpful. I find sometimes that damping with the thumb delays my playing the next note and throws the timing a bit, I need to keep working on this. I am still using too much energy and concentration on the damping, I see from M Delcamp's videos how light a touch it is supposed to be but I can't do it so lightly....but slowly it improves with practice.

Goran - it is good to see your practice. The scales are good and clear, your movement between left hand positions positive and focused, and your right hand technique is steady even on the aiai picking, which I find quite difficult - congratulations. You play the scales quite fast too. I wonder if it would be good to try them more slowly sometimes and focus more on the tone.
With the legados, it sounds more clear and precise when you pull off with the second and first fingers...for some reason it is less clear with the third and fourth. I wonder if you can slightly improve the position of the left wrist so the fingertips are more perpendicular to the strings and the fretboard. But these are details, basically it was a good practice. :bravo:

Coen - I am sorry that we can't see your practice because there is not much we can say about your technique. But your playing sounds very good. especially the Greensleeves.

Ned

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm

:bravo: Coen. I like your Greenseeves. Very, very good. And Paganini to. :casque:
Ned Henderson wrote: ...
Coen - I am sorry that we can't see your practice because there is not much we can say about your technique.
Ned
A agree with Ned.
Ned Henderson wrote:... I am still using too much energy and concentration on the damping ...Ned
Yes Ned I immediately thought that it was about that.
Thanks for your suggestions.

This is my Greensleeves:
[media]https://youtu.be/cgHL_HdVkhc[/media]
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

DonnaSutliff

Post by DonnaSutliff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Coen, I agree. I'd like to see your video - especially because the Greensleeves was so beautiful. Thanks to all for posting your work - it's helping me overcome stage fright! I'm still confused about embedding a video here - on YouTube, I do not have access to the URL Goren referred to earlier. By the way, I was using a metronome playing the F scale, not foot tapping, to help get into the suggested tempo for Greensleeves, though now I notice it's 120, not 100, so I must have been playing Greensleeves too slow. I have a question - how much do you all follow Decamp's right hand fingering? I am trying to follow it, but I have developed my own idiosyncratic habits over the years of no instruction, and they are hard to break. The first teacher I had (Neighborhood Music School, New Haven, Conn.)was in 1975, and he was very rigid about following Segovia's fingering (such as in the Sor Studies), but that Eastman School graduate student told me to use the fingering I find most natural, and that he diverges a lot from Segovia's fingering. So what is the thinking nowadays?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi Donna, I've deleted the posts you were trying to delete. Members can only delete their own posts if they are the end of a thread. Once someone else has posted another one after them, you can no longer delete. You can always ask a moderator to do it for you though.

I've also tweaked your "Youtube test" post. You had it correct, except that a letter was missed off the end of the video name, so I added that and, as you see, it has now worked.

Goran, you are doing a great job of helping other members! :D

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:35 am

Goran nice job with the Greensleeves. You are hitting all notes perfectly and have good tempo. It will only improve with time!

Donna, Your Greensleeves is very nice as well with a nice pleasing softness to it.
I have also struggled with thumb sneaking out as well and have only recently made progress with keeping it more behind the neck, even with about the 2nd finger, by arching my wrist more and thus keeping it away from the neck more. It seems to help me to not accidentally touch adjacent strings when I have to reach to the lower strings.It keeps my fingers more perpendicular to the neck and seems to make it easier for finger placement on the far upper frets as well. Plus I find it helps with my mordents, and ornaments and my fingers and hand can move faster. I have to constantly think about it and check it though, as I keep going back to my old habits.

Jack

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 am

Thanks to all who like my greensleeves so much.
About the videos not being here: Firstly I dont have a fixed setup, setting up the camera is quit unnerving. It keeps falling from my music stand. Using the microphone only is more easy, I just put it on the floor and start recording. Secondly, I somehow just dont like making video, I guess I am camera shy. But the technical sessions I plan to record with video and focus on either left or right hand.

About mr Delcamp's fingering: I try to follow it strictly in the first few practice sessions. They are there for a reason: to maximise speed, or to make damping more easy/logical for instance, or any reason I fail to see at that moment. However, if I find another fingering works better for me, I use that instead. But always I try the the suggested fingerings first. Mr Delcamp is the professor, I am the student, no need to argue :contrat: :D

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I haven't had chance to view and comment on any of the earlier postings yet, but I struggled to upload my videos last night and just want to get my first attempts posted. I'll try to remedy this later in the week. Due to other pressures I didn't contribute much in the last few weeks of the last lesson either. I will try to do better. More positively I have been practicing fairly well last week as I've been using an app called Just Practice on an ipod touch. So far, it has helped me play with more focus than usual and more regularly!
Anyway, here are my first attempts. Still plenty of LH thumb visible! - I notice it about 15 seconds into Greensleeves and tuck it away, but it's back with a vengeance in the waltz!

D03 p88 n10 - F maj scale
[media]https://youtu.be/T9JD-QTekmU[/media]

D03 p94 n30 Slurs
[media]https://youtu.be/rEkkHLEQS1k[/media]

Anon - Greensleeves
[media]https://youtu.be/utaRYgtaYGA[/media]

Paganini - Waltz
[media]https://youtu.be/e02iifTfv0Q[/media]

Bye :bye:
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi steward, very well played. I realy like the sound of your guitar. The basses sound nice and soft but very clear. :casque:
About the paganini: You forgot to damp the basses a couple of times. But I can see that your thumb is hesitating. Try practicing the piece really, realy slow. I had the same probem, but by keep doing it slowly and suddenly made "click", and I could speed up. Slow practice is realy the key.

to Goran:I liked your greensleeves too. Well played :bravo:
Last edited by Coen van Dijk on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”