D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DonnaSutliff

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by DonnaSutliff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:53 pm

I guess "the thumb's the thing". Maybe that's why I have a hard time making rapid chord transitions, despite all my years of playing guitar. Ned, Goran, Stewart - thanks again for posting your videos. The damping of the bass notes in Paganini does sound terrific.

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Hey all...a reminder about the legato/pull-off exercise:

M Delcamp has billed this as not only a legato drill but also a Rest Stroke drill for the LEFT hand! Watch his video again and note his LH fingers. It's much trickier doing it the way he does. I think the uploads so far have us lifting our LH fingers off the fretboard like we're used to doing. M Delcamp's method allows for a better hand position and builds strength.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Mark Bacon wrote:Hey all...a reminder about the legato/pull-off exercise: ...
I think I did all mr Delcamp asked. :)

:bravo: Stewart very good playing.

Coen your Paganini was excellent. Played exactly as it should be. BRAVO! :casque:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:45 am

DonnaSutliff wrote: I guess "the thumb's the thing". ...despite all my years of playing guitar ...
For my own part, I play guitar (with more or less interruptions) for about 40 years - my grandmother bought me a first guitar when I was about 11. Now, for the first time, I have a chance to really examine my way and playing techniques. I have not ever been recorded and observed which are the disadvantages in my technique, the position of guitar, hands, etc. It never occurred to me to stop (damping) strings after the expiry of the note. I never had the chance that other well-intentioned people (who are concentrated and interested in my, and their progress) to observe, comment and advise on ways to improve methods and techniques of playing.
I now see my flaws (except for the fight with notes, and the tempo :) ) - left thumb stick too high, the little finger extended, damping, etc. I do not want to look for excuses why this is so, but what is not good I want to remove.
So all of you once again one big :merci: for all your comments and your time . :discussion:
:bye:

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:22 pm

You have hit the nail on its head Goran :bravo:
I totally agree and are very very happy with these lessons, and the forum, and you all for making me try my best.
(but I stil dont like recoridng with the camera :oops:)

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:29 pm

Goran, I am like you and many others on here, a long time guitarist with an on and off relationship, and I too have concentrated the last 3 three years to trying to do it right this time. It has been very helpul seeing all the videos of how to play these exercises correctly, and also to see them not so good, as this gives me some encouragement to keep trying, as we all struggle with some of the same bad habits and technique issues. It is so good to have others that really watch and provide suggestions and observations for improvement.

I was wondering, though the language differences may be a problem, has anyone considered utilizing Skype to try to provide a live forum for classroom feedback and practice? I don't know if it would be of much use unless someone had a specific problem and needed a question resolved.
Just a thought.
Thanks for all feedback and to all my US classmates, Happy Thanksgiving!

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:27 pm

I am glad to hear everyone is enjoying these lessons, we have a very good and supportive group this year and I am glad to be part of it too. Thank you to all - and most of all to M. Delcamp and to Geoff B. and the others who help with the lessons and the translation. But really the feedback I get from my fellow students is very encouraging and helpful - even when it is also critical, I know it is well meant and helps me to gradually improve...

Goran - your Greensleeves was really good, I could not think of a way to improve it

Stewart - the F scale was very precise with the LH fingering, good positive position shifts. Your Greensleeves had a beautiful gentleness about it, very well played. With the slurs I agree with Mark, your left hand comes off the fingerboard often and as Mark reminds us, M. Delcamp suggested it is a sort of apoyando for the left hand, keeping the fingers perpendicular to the fretboard, keeping them pressed down on the fretboard as they pull off and rest on the string below. Easier said than done! Not that I have got it sussed yet.

Jack - I am wondering about your Skype idea...I have not used it more than once or twice, with our rural broadband out here in the country there can sometimes be stops and starts so I don't know if it would work all that well but willing to give it a try sometime if others feel inclined. Does it work one to one or can you have a few people Skyping at once in a group?

Donna - it was good to see your practice, glad you have joined us, I liked your playing of Greensleeves.

Keep up the good practice and the regular postings everyone, when you can.

Best wishes

Ned

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:56 am

This is my Paganini Waltz. I'm not quite satisfied, but I hope it will be better next time :(

[media]https://youtu.be/ESb4r9ECd3c[/media]

:merci: for watching. :bye:

Giuseppe Gasparini
Student of the online lessons

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:27 am

Hello Goran, very nice :bye: :bravo: :bravo:

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Goran, excellent damping on the basses :bravo:
Maybe you can try to make the melody line more fluent, or less stacato? Then it contrasts nicely with the bass line. Or vary mabey between stactao and legato for the melody? This maybe even nicer? am also still experimenting with it a bit.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:08 am

Thank's Giuseppe.

Coen, thank you for your comment and sugestions. I make a new version. Perhaps it's closer to what you think.
Of course it still needs some improve.

[media]https://youtu.be/DOgnZDs4fRs[/media]

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:36 am

Yes Goran, like that it is going in the direction I meant.
Thanks for taking my advice so seriously. That is encouraging for me too.
I realy like the contrast you can create by damping the bases only. It creates two independent voices.

Here are my excersises. I was practicing a renaissance song from d04 too, so I did not notice my 4th string was tuned down to F# during the slurs excercise. :oops: It will sound a bit different, but for the left hand techniquue it does not matter.
The scale can be done faster, I know, but I like to start slow until everything in my brain is written and saved correctly, before speeding up.

Thanks for all you advice in advance.

At Goran: :lol: I hope you dont mind downloading them to your computer. I promise the two files are 100% virus free :D :lol:

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:34 pm

:merci: Coen for your comments.
It's nice to see you :D
Should I buy a new disc drive now or you open the account on Youtube :lol:

DonnaSutliff

Post by DonnaSutliff » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Goran, that Paganini was very good. Here is a question; did anyone try Aguado, lesson 19, p.58, for example? Here there are 16th notes that theoretically all need to be damped, but how? I have always used a "free stroke" with this piece, letting the notes just ring through. I never had a teacher who instructed about damping treble notes, just the basses (with the thumb). So this Aguado piece should sound staccato? (Sorry, Coen, I did not download your stuff yet. It takes too long!)

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Hello everyone! I've finally had time to watch or listen to everyone's postings to date.Thank you to Ned, Goran, Donna and Coen for these and to everyone for the really helpful comments. Mark - until your post I thought I was doing the slurs correctly, but you are quite right, I am snapping the finger onto the adjacent string but then I'm immediately snapping it up into the air!
Ned - great early posts. I wondered if the first version of the waltz was going to be full of non-damped basses but you showed the way right from the start. You've probably figured out the rhythm corrections needed for Greensleeves, but just in case I think you were playing the A and B on bar 5 (and similar) as almost equal rather than quaver and crotchet.

Goran - very confident posts that I'm sure are helpful to all. It's clear that you are careful to follow all the instructions and as Geoff suggested, you are a model forum member. :bravo:

Hi Donna - welcome! You seem very calm when playing - something I struggle with. As mentioned, you need to watch the damping in the second section of the waltz. I wonder if sometimes your LH fingers are further from the frets than they need to be when they are 'waiting'

Coen - great to see your videos and your mp3s were very accomplished - it is so much easier to comment when you can see! You've got a really good position for the camera too. I clip mine to the music stand, but then if I set it too far back to make the RH and LH visible I can't read the music properly! (PS - one more vote for you getting a YT account though :wink: It took me quite a while to download your short slurs exercise. When it's on YT I can start watching immediately. I only use YT for these lessons and set it so that people need the link to find them, disabled comments and replies etc. )

Once more, thank you to all for making this an inspiring place to be!

:merci:
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”