D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
RossStep

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by RossStep » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I messed up the new youtube format on the slurs video. Hope it works this time.
Ross

[media]https://youtu.be/AUzNJ8iKxTo[/media]

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 am

D03 Crew,

Gonna shoot for posting some vids this week so I feel like I better give some feedback or else I won't deserve any of my own! Some of my opinions will echo some already given.

Jack-Good bass note damping in your pieces. The melody was a little stiff but that's likely something that'll get worked out with more practice. One thing I'd like to point out to you though with some urgency is your RH. Your wrist and 'a' finger are both arched towards the back of the hand.

Ross-I don't want to make this ever sound like a competition (especially 'cause I'm in it!) but I like your submissions the most so far. Your scales sound good and are in good strict time. Are you using free stroke though? Your Greensleeves really captures the relaxing mood that I think the piece is supposed to convey and the balance between the melody and bass notes is superb.

Goran-Good bass note damping of the pieces. I think it was stated earlier that the melody should be more legato and I tend to agree. I'd shift my right hand a little closer towards the sound hole for a less metallic tone too.

Stewart-Nice Greensleeves with a cool move towards the bridge with the RH towards the end for a tone change.

Coen-A good start with no glaring issues. A little extra practice for some additional smoothness is all you need. (I'm about at that stage!). I notice that you like a little rubato for that intro part of the Waltz. I do the same thing, it just seems to sound right. Purists may scoff however as I think dance pieces from the Classical era should be in strict rhythm.

Donna's vids got removed before I got a chance to jot down any notes.

Ned-Your RH has been mentioned and I'll second the opinions. A move towards the sound hole will mellow your tone by both giving the fingers a little angle of attack (as opposed to perpendicular like they are now) and just by the nature of the softer tone the closer we play towards the neck. The timing of your Greensleeves melody was mentioned, but I also thought I heard a few bass notes cut out too soon giving a sort of choppiness to what should be a rather relaxing piece of music.

OK everyone, I'm done 'complaining'. Good job for all of your hard work!

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:55 pm

:bravo: Ross, very good.

Jack I've already told you earlier about the position of your guitar, but I always wondered if it was just the camera angle. You should work on that a little.
But your performance is very good. :bravo:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:46 am

Still cleaning up the Paganini piece...here's the rest though. Thanks! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi Mark, well done.
You greensleeves showed a few changes in tempo/hesitations. But I really liked it. It had very well played parts in it. I allways like it when two or more notes, which should be played at the same time are played with a tiny bit of timing difference. Does this technique have a name? I gives the piece an nice delicate touch.

Nice even tone on the scale, good technique on the left hand apoyando excersice. No comments there.

:bravo:

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Coen,

Thanks for the feedback/compliments. That technique doesn't have a technical term that I know of. I think some call it 'rolling' the notes though (king of like a "rolled' chord). One has to be careful about which pieces to do it in though. As far as I know it's OK for early/Renaissance music but not so much for Classical and Baroque. I think it's allowed in Romantic and later periods as well. I've always been told not to 'over do' it when used. Someone else may want to chime in on this, they may know more.

I noticed in the D04 group that you're still unsure about some aspects of arpeggio technique. If you'd like we can discuss it at length via private message. Just send me a note, I'll try to help.

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Mark,
Well done. You have a very round, even tone especially on the legato exercise. Do you have any tips on to keep it even? My pull-offs are thin and not sure how to improve. I picked up the Shearer part 3 book you mentioned on expression last night and listened to the CD. Wow! I never thought about "prepared expression" or grouping notes. The CD really contrasts the difference between just playing the notes (me most of the time) and grouping for a more polished interpretation. More to work on, but I think this is major. Thanks for your comments, they're always helpful.
Ross

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:53 am

Good job Mark. You did a smooth scale and legato. As already mentioned the minor tempo and hesitations on the Greensleeves kind of lessened the smooth sound of it,I almost felt like there was a memory lapse of the music, as it looks like you have it memorized, but it was still a beautiful rendition. Very good tone. I really like your video as you are very easy to see and discern your hand and finger placements, the dark background is a good stage. I need to work on that with my videos.

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:02 am

Here is a better version of the Valze, although maybe a bit fast.
[media]https://youtu.be/KKzhuKA6bew[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:32 am

Well done to all who have posted so far. Here is my offering
Slurs
[media]https://youtu.be/JENrL4VdGP0[/media]

Fa Majeur scale
[media]https://youtu.be/qdmVcn1qVgc[/media]

Greensleeves (Too fast?)
[media]https://youtu.be/O4D62a7BzwY[/media]

Valtz
[media]https://youtu.be/Ktc-cTLtmgI[/media]

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback Ross and Jack,

Basically you're right there was a quick memory lapse or two in my Greensleeves. Since it was a 'first take' though I just thought I'd leave it as-is with possibly an improved re-upload as I continue to clean up the Paganini piece.

Ross-about your tone question. I'm not sure whether or not you mean with regard to legato/pull-offs or just in general. So, being the verbose guy that I am I'll speak to both. With tone in general I obsess over the RH, as I think all CG players should. Sounding the strings with our fingers (as opposed to merely fretting them) is what separates us from not only most other guitarists but most instrumentalists in general save for harpists. That said our individual tone will come from our RH technique and the subtle changes one can make (nail length, shape, RH position, etc) have profound effects on our sound. Experimentation is generally the key, especially for someone like yourself who has no glaring problems with your RH position or technique (at least as far as I can tell). Over the years I've also noticed a very interesting facet of my RH technique; I play much differently once I'm confident with a piece, and the difference is all in the right hand. That difference manifests itself in better tone. Shearer has a term for it that I forget (hesitation and insecurity, I think). I think that's why I tend to take longer than some on here to upload. Even once I've got the piece to a point where much of the flubbed notes and temporal pauses are ironed out, I know that another few days with the piece will improve the tone.

You may be asking about pull-offs in general however (the only real weak part of your Paganini piece, IMO). Mine got better when I started not only practicing them more not only as quick grace notes so idiomatic to CG but at ALL speeds. I do mean all speeds, too. Practice trilling a note as lightning fast grace notes and as quarter notes at 60 bpm. Only consider success achieved when BOTH volume and tone of the original note matches the note being hammered-on or pulled-off to. (as an extremely talented jazz sax player said to me once "if you can't play it right slow you sure can't play it right fast!).

Richard-no glaring issues with your pieces or exercises. I think you just need to connect the notes more for more legato/flow. Practice the legato exercise really slowly to improve your evenness. Also notice how your RH tends to come far away from the guitar giving your RH a rather straight-fingered technique. Your sound doesn't seem to suffer as a result but you might get a more secure feeling from bringing it in some and curling/relaxing the fingers some more. The benefits in doing so may not be apparent just now but it may pay off in spades when we're all in D08 together and playing some tough pieces!

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:16 pm

With tone in general I obsess over the RH, as I think all CG players should. Sounding the strings with our fingers (as opposed to merely fretting them) is what separates us from not only most other guitarists but most instrumentalists in general save for harpists. That said our individual tone will come from our RH technique and the subtle changes one can make (nail length, shape, RH position, etc) have profound effects on our sound. Experimentation is generally the key, especially for someone like yourself who has no glaring problems with your RH position or technique (at least as far as I can tell). Over the years I've also noticed a very interesting facet of my RH technique; I play much differently once I'm confident with a piece, and the difference is all in the right hand. That difference manifests itself in better tone. Shearer has a term for it that I forget (hesitation and insecurity, I think). I think that's why I tend to take longer than some on here to upload. Even once I've got the piece to a point where much of the flubbed notes and temporal pauses are ironed out, I know that another few days with the piece will improve the tone.
These are very good points and you are right to obsess over the tone, something that I forget about as I sit in front of the camera concentrating on not making mistakes! I have a real problem with tensing up while recording and this just ruins the tone, but I know really knowing a piece and becoming familiar with it allows us to work on the tone better. I am trying to memorize these excercises as it seems I can play them more relaxed when it's "showtime".

And with that here is a more relaxed Greensleeves, though still not perfect.
[media]https://youtu.be/qI4RX3M9nsk[/media]

Good first posts Richard!

Jack
Last edited by Jack Jarrett on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi All,
Jack, nice work, good tempo and feel. You look comfortable with a more upright guitar position.
Richard, everything sounds good to me. Well done.
Mark, Thanks again for the good information. I really haven't explored all the slur practice I should be working on.
As we come to the end of lesson 3, I'm impressed with the burst of improvement this lesson. Whether it's speed, tone or a new technical challenge, I see everyone stepping up. If you don't believe me, check out D02 lesson 1. Thank you all for sharing your talents and expertise. Lesson 4 should be lots of fun.
Ross

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:27 pm

:bravo: Richard, I think you play all pieces very good.

Jack, good performance with Greensleeves. :bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Jack,

Wow-a dramatic improvement on Greensleeves! Listen to your old version and then the new one right away and the improvement almost makes you sound like a different player. Equally of note is how much more relaxed your RH looks in your more recent videos. Way to go!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”