D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Ned Henderson

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 pm

:merci: Richard, Goran and Coen for your comments.

Richard - well spotted! :D A moose was imported from my daughter's collection of zoo animals to strengthen the reindeer team.

Coen - thank you for your detailed feedback which is very helpful. Yes my nails on the RH are a mess at the moment - all different lengths, having broken at different times in the autumn. It is crazy to play classical guitar and have a large garden and rather weak nails - I try to protect my nails when I work out of doors but sometimes I forget or they split anyway... so I sympathise with your nail problems. It can be discouraging when you have practised a piece well but it still sounds scratchy or uneven just because of the nails

I hear that some guitarists are using shreds of ping pong balls to repair their nails, but this is not a technology I have explored as yet, guess it must look a little odd unless you are incredibly neat in your handiwork...
The hesitations/ changes in tempo I think are down to needing a bit more practice but also the fact that damping with the thumb is still affecting/ disturbing the tempo of my RH...sometimes after damping with the thumb, the following note is fractionally delayed...drawing back the thumb to damp seems to slow me down, I am not sure whether this is a cognitive/mental problem or mechanical difficulty with co-ordinating two almost simultaneous actions of the RH.
If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be glad to hear them...

Ned :bye:

Giuseppe Gasparini
Student of the online lessons

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Felicitations à tous les étudiants, Merry Christmas :bye: :discussion:

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Hello all, just letting you know that I hoped to do the D03 and D04 lessons simultaneously but I'm just not organized enough. :roll: I've decided to stick with the D04 lessons. It's been a lot of fun learning with this group so far. I'm sure I'll be seeing you as the levels continue! Merry Christmas. Michael

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:59 am

Michael Collings wrote:... I've decided to stick with the D04 lessons. It's been a lot of fun learning with this group so far...
:cry: I'm sorry that you are going out of our group, but I'm glad because I think you made ​​the right decision. I wish you every success. :bye:
Here is finally my video
[media]https://youtu.be/Q2dvDUqovsw[/media]
Thanks to all the beautiful greetings. I wish everyone all the best. :noel:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:05 am

:bravo: Good job Ned both with the festive setting and the nice rendition of the Pound.I am also in the same boat as you and Coen with the broken nails, as I work Heating and AirConditioning so it is rare for me to have nails for more than a couple of weeks.That will be my out for this version of the piece!

Michael I understand your need to stick with D04 as I am trying to do both as well, and it is quite a lot of work and study.I am barely able to manage the two, and I have no children to fill my evenings up.I'll see you there.

Goran, beautiful job,smooth flowing and very delicate. Well played and a pleasure to listen to. :casque:

Here is my try. I notice the tension creeping back into my right hand and a buzz in my guitar perhaps because my strings are light tension. I only wish I had a festive Christmas Sweater to wear!
Happy Holidays! :noel:
[media]https://youtu.be/w-xeqyqXrFY[/media]

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:31 pm

D03 friends,

Packington's Pound is sounding good all around (too bad it's the only piece we have to do this month, I'm tempted to upload some of the others). Mine will be uploaded soon. I can't promise the same about the strumming technique, I'm finding it too foreign and it's not sounding musical at all! Is that why nobody else (except Stewart) has done one?

Stewart-Slow? Yup-but that's how it should be so early on. It was a little slow but otherwise just about perfect. Nice variation of dynamics. I caught myself nodding my head to the beat!

Coen- Nice variation in dynamics, but somewhere in m 20-22 there's a little loss of the melody to the bass. I couldn't tell if it was a recording issue or that you were just too into the piece and a little too forte! :D

Ned-I hope this across as I intend (that is, very positive)...but for me this piece was a turning point performance of yours. I think I've mentioned your RH and/or tone in some form for all of your uploads. But in the Cutting piece your RH starts to make a gradual move towards the soundhole from about 0:35-0:45 seconds. The rest of the piece just sounds wonderful! Keep it up! :bravo:

(great audio recording from a distance, by the way! Do you have a good mic or something?)

Goran- Excellent damping and control of the baseline-making for a crisp performance all around! You also showed lots of RH movement for tone variation! I think you can take this to the next level by using rest stroke in conjunction with this on the melody at times.

Jack- Other than your timing being a little stiff, mainly early in the piece,I don't think the performance was as lacking as you think. I didn't really have a problem with the tone either and some of the notes were downright pleasant! On your RH tension, I've been having some lately as well. I notice that you and I seem to use our 'a' finger more than most people. I wonder if that's the reason.

The passion that most of you mentioned for this piece is really showing in your performances!

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Goran, this was a very good practice, I especially like your variation of tone with movement of the RH position...once or twice you seemed to get a "call and response" going by playing a musical phrase near to soundhole and then repeating it near the bridge. Your right hand technique is very good.

Jack - it was good to hear your practice, I can sympathise with the nail issue which I think interferes with the subtlety of contact between the fingers of the RH and the string....one feels a bit less "in touch" with the instrument. This having been said, I thought it was all right for an early practice, the basic feel of the piece is there and with a little more practice and the recovery of your nails I think it will open up for you...

Mark - thanks for your positive and specific feedback, it is helpful. Incidentally my recordings are made with a digital camera ( Canon PowerShot ) which has an inbuilt microphone.

Michael - sorry to lose you to other classes but I have appreciated your contributions over the last year and watching your video postings has been an inspiration. I wish you all the best and maybe catch up with you elsewhere on the forum.

Ned

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks to everyone for the critics and compliments.But here I must say thank you to Stewart, whose interpretation has inspired me and whom I consider a very nice and clean.
Thank you my dear friends, and I wish you all peace and good :bye:

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Goran! Good rendering of your Packington. Merry Christmas!
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:13 pm

:merci: Elias. :bye:

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm uploading a little earlier than normal per our discussion last month. That said, I've got some flubbed notes and breaks in tempo. I also ended the piece briefly on a D chord for some reason. :oops: I have been working a lot through the holidays and not had a lot of time to spend on this piece. Hmm... Well, now I've got some goals for improving before the month is over!

Mark

I'm still working on the strumming exercise. I hear too much of my 20 year background as a rock/blues player and never come up with something that I like. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Goran: Nice performance. Nothing to comment about, sorry. :casque: :bravo:

Marc: Nice to hear a not so perfect version from you. This is proof that you too actually have to practice these pieces. :lol:
If you have some sort of rock/blues version of the saltaren, I am very interested in hearing it.

Jack: Good performance, with practice it will get more fluent. Something about you LH: (no, not the thumb again.....or....) I notice when you play bars 21, 22, 23 and 29, 30, 31 you shift your elbow/bent your hand towards the head of the guitar during each last 1/8 note of each measure (when playing the D and B simultaniously). This is sort of an excessive movement, not very economical if you have to play faster and it also descreases accuracy when you plant your fingers. Remeber the streching excersise a few lessons ago: Keep you hand parallel to the fret board. Part of the problem seems to arise because you have to move you elbow, but the core of the problem still might be thumb position. The rest of the piece you seem to keep you LH in the same position.
Maybe you can try to leave the thumb at the position where it is during the start of the piece and when you come to the afore mentioned bars/notes tilt you wrist upwards instead of turning it towards the neck.
I hope it makes sense what I wrote....

:bye:

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Goran: Nice performance. Nothing to comment about, sorry. :casque: :bravo:

Marc: Nice to hear a not so perfect version from you. This is proof that you too actually have to practice these pieces. :lol:
If you have some sort of rock/blues version of the saltaren, I am very interested in hearing it.

Jack: Good performance, with practice it will get more fluent. Something about you LH: (no, not the thumb again.....or....) I notice when you play bars 21, 22, 23 and 29, 30, 31 you shift your elbow/bent your hand towards the head of the guitar during each last 1/8 note of each measure (when playing the D and B simultaniously). This is sort of an excessive movement, not very economical if you have to play faster and it also descreases accuracy when you plant your fingers. Remeber the streching excersise a few lessons ago: Keep you hand parallel to the fret board. Part of the problem seems to arise because you have to move you elbow, but the core of the problem still might be thumb position. The rest of the piece you seem to keep you LH in the same position.
Maybe you can try to leave the thumb at the position where it is during the start of the piece and when you come to the afore mentioned bars/notes tilt you wrist upwards instead of turning it towards the neck.
I hope it makes sense what I wrote....

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Ned, you wrote:
...drawing back the thumb to damp seems to slow me down, I am not sure whether this is a cognitive/mental problem or mechanical difficulty with co-ordinating two almost simultaneous actions of the RH.
Realising damping is allmost the same as playing an additional note helped me a lot. Have you ever tried picturing that you are just playing an extra bass note, maybe even just writing the note to be damped into the sheet music at the proper positon. Then just dont play it, only put your thumb on the string.
I hope this helps...

To All:
To stimulate everybody to post their version of the Saltaren, here is my ******, boring, improvable-in-every-way version of it. :desole: It is sort of a Rasquardo excersise, since this is new to me.
I hope you dont fall asleep or break anything laughing while listening to it. But at least I can say, I have posted the second best version so far! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:39 am

Coen, very good. :bravo:
And I must get to work on this piece :chaud:
In the meantime, here's Andante (there are few mistakes, but I'll take it again if I had time)
[media]https://youtu.be/NC-GAlN1L0Q[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”