D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rachid Merabet

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Rachid Merabet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 pm

:merci: Stewart, Ok I will make a video next time.

Ned, that's very well :bravo: :bravo:

Richard, I have enjoyed your version :applauso: :applauso: :applauso: :bravo:

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 am

Rachid, Very good first post! You have a relaxed sound, and the only issue I noticed was the abrupt ending of the bass notes already mentioned.

Ned, You definitely have the thumb damping under control on this post.You have really worked on that aspect and you make me feel like I am avoiding this obviously important aspect.

Richard, you play it very well, with a gentle feel, that I think makes this piece sound nicer. My only negative is it sounds like one string is out of tune, otherwise a nice sound on the new mic.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:11 am

I think you may be right Jack. It's probably time for a new set.

Rachid Merabet

Post by Rachid Merabet » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Thank you very much Jack :bye:

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Richard

Thanks for your response. No I am not playing any of the melody notes with the thumb but I can see from watching the video why you might think so. My RH thumb has a tendency to rest parallel with the index finger when it is not actively involved in plucking a bass string. Not sure whether this is a good or bad habit!
Good to hear your recording. I also thought one or two strings were out of tune. It's worth treating yourself to a new set, if they are rather old. Last time I put on a new set, it surprised me how much pleasure you can get out of a meagre investment of £7 or £8 - so much more mellowness of tone and responsiveness. Unfortunately I still can't afford a roadie to put the new strings on for me though, it's a little bit of a schlep...
I thought your sense of timing was very good in the Packington by the way.

:merci: Jack. I am consciously trying to work on the thumb damping. It still doesn't come easily to me and I think it will probably be a long time before it does. It still seems quite effortful and laboured to me when I watch my own videos but I suppose any new skills starts out like that.

Keep up the good work
See you all in the next lesson

Ned

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 pm

:bravo: Jack very good.

Ned, I agree with all Richard and Jack wrote, but I must say that I like your Packington very much. :casque:

Richard very good. I can't wait for your Videos. :bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 am

Goran,the waiting is over!
I have been banished to the bedroom to record these as it's my son's 18th birthday and we have guests round. :roll:

Saltaren
[media]https://youtu.be/ZZ2bYXJ_4KU[/media]
Packington
[media]https://youtu.be/v4sRvY35EBM[/media]

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 am

:bravo: Richard, Very well played, but I have a feeling that you're a little nervous. It might be good for Saltaren, but not for Packington. :lol:

Happy birthday to your son. :bye:

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks for your get well wishes. I've started to play again and I will see you on lesson 5.
Ross

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Richard

Well played, but I agree with Goran that you seem a bit more tense than usual. Maybe the effects of being banished from your familiar habitat :D
Really it is almost all there, the left hand is making good smooth and econonical transitions - I think it is just tension affecting the RH which means that here and there the timing is marginally out. My hunch is that with a hot bath, an hour's yoga or whatever helps you unwind, it would sound excellent...just a matter of trying a little less hard mentally and letting the music flow. Probably doesn't help much but I come up against the same problem from time to time and I usually find not playing for a little while, doing something relaxing and then coming back to it works wonders.
The Saltaren worked better though.

Ross, glad to hear you will be back with us soon.

Ned

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks Goran and Ned fot your replies. I was trying to squeeze the recording into a busy weekend and it does show in my playing. I've been trying to overcome the camera shyness but it has crept back. The hot bath sounds like a fine idea!

Good to hear that your back Ross.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 am

Richard Judge wrote: ...
I've been trying to overcome the camera shyness but it has crept back.
I think you need to record the video as often as possible in order to overcome stage fright. It is also a good way to correct anything you think is wrong in your performance :bye:

Rachid Merabet

Post by Rachid Merabet » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:08 am

:bravo: Richard very good.

Here a version of Packington's inspired by a friend of the Italian forum
Packington's 3.mp3
:bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rachid Merabet

Post by Rachid Merabet » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 pm

No comments! :(

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Rachid everyone's moved on to lesson 05. :D
You have improved with this post but there are still some clipped bass notes. It would be really good if you could post a video so we could see your hands.
I love the flourish at the end. :casque:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”