D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rachid Merabet

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Rachid Merabet » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Richard Judge wrote:Hi Rachid everyone's moved on to lesson 05.
Ok,I have understood, I will go faster next time :lol:
Richard Judge wrote:It would be really good if you could post a video so we could see your hands.
my webcam does not work, must I 'buys another.

thank you very much Richard. :bye:

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Here are my posts for Lesson 4. I lowered the recording level but again, after listening to Salteren, it sounded like it was still clipping. I lowered the webcab mic recording level to about 50%. It looks like I will have to lower it even more. Thank you for putting up with the bad audio until I can get the bugs worked out. :merci:

Salteren:
[media]https://youtu.be/oyr0giP0LQE[/media]

Packington's Pound: (m. 43 , I played a open g with that A and C note "a minor chord" on the first beat. oops it is NOT supposed to be an A minor 7th . lol)
[media]https://youtu.be/wp-1G1aOERo[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Richard :bravo: Very nice confident playing. Do you play other styles?
In the middle section you repeat the middle finger for a couple of notes in each bar. It doesn't really make any difference to the sound but alternation will be faster in the long run and is more economical in motion.

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:33 am

:merci: Richard. Great name by the way! :) Yes, I do play other styles. I also play banjo, mandolin, pedal steel guitar, and every once in a while, I will rock out with some electric guitar! lol... I enjoy playing classical the most because it is relaxing and meditative for me. With solo classical guitar, I also do not have to deal with other musician's egos and problems. Thank you for noticing that repetition of my M finger in the B section, I saw that when I went back to watch the vid. I will work on that fingering for that part. I usually do alternate for the most part. This one slipped through the radar! Thanks for listening. Richard

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:01 pm

:bravo: Richard. I agree with Richard :) about RH fingers, but generally a very nice performance.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:34 am

Here are my Packington's Pound and Saltaren. There are couple of missed notes here and there, but as I had so much fun playing these, I decided to post these takes. Trying to polish them too much would likely have resulted in somewhat less interesting listening (or so I'm trying to convince myself :lol: )

My apologies for the clipping at the end of Saltaren (I got a little carried away)!

Richard, very good playing as always! I didn't write any RH fingerings for PP, and really didn't concentrate on that too much, so hopefully I didn't repeat the same finger too much. I found those 6th string dampings while playing the 1st string quite nasty, so I'm not sure myself which fingers I used in those occasions. Any finger that reached that far probably :D

Packington's Pound
[media]https://youtu.be/JB4tjbaIvxQ[/media]

Saltaren
[media]https://youtu.be/Jdmk_vMjgcQ[/media]

:merci: for listening!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey Marko! You sounded really good on the Packington's Pound in projecting and getting that melody out front. The A section was good rhythmically also. The B section seemed to slow down in tempo a little. I am not sure if you did that on purpose. If not, see if you can metronome the transition between the A and B sections. Another thing you can think about like I am doing is trying to vary the dynamics on the B section of the song because of the repetition of E minor and B chords. Overall, it was enjoyable to listen to.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Richard! I was also happy with the A section, but after that I made some mistakes that made me lose some confidence. Some of the slowing down was intended, but I think that big part of it was me losing track of the original tempo because of the mistakes and otherwise. I also experimented with dynamics on the B section, but it seems that didn't come out so well at least in this take. I have been focusing on getting a good volume, and the room I regularly practice in is bigger and quieter than my recording room with the consequence that the recordings tend to come out louder than intended. I record with a Blue Yeti microphone at stereo setting, and that seems to pick up quite a bit of the room vs. the guitar directly. I wonder if that may play some part with some of the dynamics getting lost in the process?

Also at the time of recording this I had lightly polished basses on my guitar, which has shallower body than the average, and hence the basses aren't very deep to begin with, and that helps in getting the melody out front. I've now changed back to regular unpolished basses, and also upped the tension to extra high (Savarez Cantiga), as I noticed my left hand getting stronger and started to have some pitch issues. After the change I noticed two things. First, using the polished basses had made my LH technique somewhat sloppy, manifesting in lots of squeaking that I need to get rid of. I also need to make my practice sessions shorter, as my LH gets fatigued much faster now. On the positive side, I can get away with longer RH nails, as the 1st string is thicker and doesn't catch that easily.

Back to Packington's Pound, that is something I have been practicing for a month, but only occasionally (maybe a couple of times once a week), which isn't enough, and that shows in the recording with the problems at the latter sections. On the other hand, as I previously stated, having not practiced it to the death kept it fresh for me and fun to play :)

Anyway, thanks very much for the feedback, it was much appreciated and thought provoking!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”