D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:35 am

Giuseppi, beautiful tone and well played :bravo: You obviously have that piece under your belt, though I feel this piece could be slowed down some and really allow the notes to ring!

Jeremy, I love your honest posts!If you only knew how many tries I make before I have the one that is good enough to post!I need to swallow my ego a bit and post some of my not so perfect ones! It would probably save me a lot of time and frustration! Anyway, you did a real nice job with Novelette, I do like that one!

Here is my first recording, this one I feel doesn't need a video as it is all about how it sounds, the technique or lack of is discovered with how it sounds in the end.
I can tell my guitar lacks some tone at the higher frets, as the sound of Giuseppi's is so much better.
Scarborough Fair.mp3
Happy Holidays :noel:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:02 am

Jack, you have a very good sound on Scarborough Fair, and are playing it quite accurately. I see what you mean about the high notes not sounding out as much, although they don't sound bad, but I can tell the difference. The rest of the guitar sounds quite good and projects well, so I'm wondering if maybe it's due to that particular string, or maybe a loose fret? Do all the notes above say the 7th fret on the high E string sound that way?

As far as my posts, I hope everyone will feel free to be as lousy as you want on tape using me as an example! Just kidding, but really, we're among friends here and I like to think of it as if we had an actual get-together and played stuff for each other. We would probably make some mistakes. The fact that the moment is captured in a video makes us want to make it perfect, and that's fine if you're releasing a recording, but may not be so important in this context. Plus I'm lazy. Last year I did take after take many times to get one to post, and I have to admit that I learned something about how to play and interpret better by listening to each of the takes that I rejected. But when you play for an audience you won't get that chance.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Jeremy, your points about the recordings and posts among friends is very good, and I too have wasted too much time trying to get that perfect recording, even again this morning as I struggled to put this one up. I will try to heed your advice, but I guess I feel that it is good practice to try to get it right, as this is the closest thing to an audience as I will get for a while. I'm hoping it will simulate some of the pressure I would feel if I were in front of somebody!
My guitar seems to have a poorer sound quality on the b string as I go up the fret, so I am trying to compensate with better technique. I think this may come out in this recording of Ghiribizzo 24, (this being take 15 or so! :oops: ). By the way I will be posting videos at some point.
Thanks for the input
Paganini;Ghiribizzo 24.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:44 am

Jack, you play the Paganini quite well! The only thing I could think to add is that there are a couple of places to clean up and maybe add more damping.

I hadn't thought about it, but it is always true that the higher fretted notes on any string have a different quality than fretting closer to the nut. It seems like fretting on the higher frets with the left hand has a similar effect to playing directly over the sound hole or even over the upper finger board vs. playing at the back of the sound hole with the right hand; basically both (higher l.h. frets and r.h. closer to the middle of the string) make a much sweeter (or less treble-y) tone. So maybe you're noticing an extreme example of this effect. I think you could counter-act it by playing the high fret B string notes closer to the bridge than the other notes, although this might be hard to do technically.

I always use high tension (Saverez Alliance) strings which tend to be pretty treble-y anyway, so even when you back off from this by playing on the higher frets it still has quite a bit of treble. But I have heard that a lot of good players use regular tension of various brands, and they recorded the entire "The Sound of Spain" CD (many different antique guitars from "the Granary" museum) using D'Addario normal tension, and it sounds great. So high tension may not always be advised. You might just try playing that passage closer to the bridge on all the strings. But although I could hear it since I was listening for it, I thought the tone difference in these notes was not that great and the overall sound was good.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:53 am

Jack and Jeremy--nice job for a week's work. I believe I have benefited from doing bulk posts (though I only just started doing this.) As Jack can attest, the way I've done things in these lessons so far has been to get in a submission right at the end of the lesson period. This was after many takes and attempts at getting a perfect one. Perhaps this is not so bad if you play complete takes and then pick the best one, even if it's just for one piece. But if you are like me, you have a bunch of starts and stops and end up quitting a take midway through the piece and starting over. I am starting to wonder if this is actually a damaging form of "practice."

The way I've been doing it lately is I've been practicing the pieces until I think they're ready to record, then I record them in succession in one take. Usually I'm not satisfied with the take but I just leave it alone for a day. I listen to it the next day and I'm better informed of what to work on. I work on those things and record it again in one take. The one I'm submitting today is the third day of this process.

Jack, as far as your sound goes, I didn't notice anything glaring, but maybe you should just commission Jeremy to make you a new guitar? :lol:

[media]https://youtu.be/X-iEwXPChGo[/media]

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:00 am

Hello everybody! :) Here is my first attempt at recording the A minor scale :casque: , this is the video [media]https://youtu.be/Jca1cOSiZeY[/media]

Critiques and comments are greatly appreciated :merci: :bye: .
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Giuseppe Gasparini
Student of the online lessons

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:23 am

Good Michael.Jeremy,Jack , I liked your songs. :bye: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Last edited by Giuseppe Gasparini on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Elias--nice Aminor scale. Beautiful tone! Keep working to get the rhythm smoother. :bravo:

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Michael! Thanks for your comments. I´m working on that, your pieces sound good, I heard them yesterday.
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks Jeremy for your advice and comments.I really wish I could hire you for a new guitar, but it will be some time before that can happen!

Michael, your playing is great as usual, you really are dexterous to be able to hit those Bb notes so fluidly on the Giulliani piece. I am still struggling to eliminate the buzzing that happens as I struggle to get the hand position right while playing at a faster tempo.I couldn't tell, were you damping as indicated?I did find the damping was a little easier on many of the notes as the thumb seems to already be in position.One question, is the ring in your recordings from your computer?It's not offensively loud, but noticeable when first listening to your recordings,a minor point as your quality playing makes me forget it anyway.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:16 am

Elias, the scale sounded good - are you playing it from memory or looking at the music? If looking at the music, you might try memorizing it so you can look at your left hand when moving to the higher positions. It's pretty hard to do this while looking at the music, although not impossible, but I think it's easier if you start by watching your left hand.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:31 am

Michael, a very nice "recital", even at this stage it was enjoyable to listen to! You are very sure fingered and relaxed. Also, you seem to always be thinking of where the melody line is going and where you've been, using echo's effectively and making the piece cohesive.

On the Giuliani, I think you played a B natural several times near the bottom of page 1 instead of a B flat. Very good sound on the Paganini, were you using rest-stroke for the melody? (I have been). It sounded like it on the 2nd part (where it's played an octave higher), if not, you have a very strong free stroke, nice tone!

I agree about a bad form of practice if you continually start and stop in multiple takes to get a good recording. When you're playing for an audience the main thing is to at least keep the rhythm smooth and keep going if you make a mistake, and think ahead. Stopping a lot makes it harder to develop the mental habit needed to perform something. I do think it is good that you do a few days of bulk recording and listen to it, because I think there is a lot of benefit from listening to recordings of your playing. This forces you to be aware of what you really sound like, and you can also get ideas for interpretation this way.
Jeremy

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:10 am

Jeremy, I think you are right about the starting and stopping when practicing keeping us from developing the ability to keep playing through our errors, and this is probably the direction I should go.

I have been doing something in addition to this course, which is playing duets with myself.I have been recording the guitar 1 or 2 part and then listening to it on ipod while playing the 2nd part. This forces you to keep going as the music keeps going. I'm finding this is really helping me to concentrate and improves my reading. The only negative is not being able to play with someone else, which is really fun, and it seems to add a depth to the music.
I would love to find someone who wants to participate in video duets, uploading a part and playing together.(Anyone interested send me a private message).

Anyway, I think I may try to do a mini recital on my next upload to see how it goes.
Jack

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Jack, I think playing along with recordings that you make is a great idea! This forces you to adjust and listen as you play, and as you say, it also forces you to keep going. It's too bad you don't have someone in your area you could just get together and play with, that is the best, but recordings are the next best thing. We have been very lucky here in Salem (Oregon) to have a guitar society that just started up this last year. There are only a few classical players, but I was able to play some duets with one of them (now he left for College) and I have also been jamming with a jazz player that I met through the society. This kind of thing is great if you can do it.
Jeremy

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Jeremy! I tried to play the scale from memory and apparently is a little bit better, I´ll try to put my new attempt perhaps only as an MP3. Wish good playing in this vacation period.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”