D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jack Jarrett » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Coen, nice job.They sound like maybe the finger strikes are a little off, that is if you want more consistency.You may just need to work on hitting the fret in the exact same spot on the finger tip each time.At least that is what I was thinking I need to do as I have the same problem as you with achieving the same sound and volume.
Ross and Stewart, nice jobs with the additional trilles. I was wondering what others think about playing the trilles with different fingers in this manner. I have no real problems playing them when only two are played, but when more trilles are linked, as you two did, I find it easier and more consistent sounding when I use a single finger. It seems slower for me and I can't get as many in when I have to maintain the tempo. Has anyone seen M. Delcamp playing multiple trilles by alternating fingers?
What do you all think?
Jack

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:36 am

Jack thanks for your comments. I will have a closer look at what my fingers are doing excactly and try too get a more consistent trill by placing the accurately. I will report back if I found something relevant.

About thrills with multiple fingers: Mr Delcamp suggest using multiple fingers because he is the opinion that this will increase the speed of the thrill, especially if there are multiple trills following each other, or so much I understand from his link all the way at the top of the page.
I never played thrills this way before. But, I do have the feeling that using multiple fingers increases the speed of the thrill. The problem for me is that I am using the 4th finger a lot more this way and this tends to slow the thrill down. For a thrill performed 1020 or 1213 I can reach a pretty good speed, or at least, I am happy with it. I dont think I could reach the same speed that easily (after a weeks practice) if I only used one finger. Increasing the x3x4 thrill will take some time for me, my pinky is sooo lazy :(

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:51 pm

:bravo: Coen. This is very good performance.
I also have problem with execution of trills with 3 and 4 fingers. Unfortunatley I have lately very short time for exercise and, I think, this is actually bigger problem.
I hope to soon find the time to send my posts.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Dear All

Sorry to say I have been a bit absent the last week or two, lots of other things I had to sort out. I will try and view your practice videos over the next few days - I did have a quick look at Jack and Stewart's and also Ross' videos....but I want to watch again before commenting. All looked promising though. I only started the practice on trills yesterday but I do want to get something posted so here goes. I can see the tension...always shows in my jaw when I am trying a bit hard :oops: ...so there is room for improvement. But do feel free with your comments, it all helps. Thanks.

Ned

[media]https://youtu.be/pc3Lh2AqyF4[/media]

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:38 pm

:bravo: Ned, very good.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Jack and Stewart, well done both of you, very good practices.
Jack I liked your solid trill practice, a good sense of timing, strings ringing out clearly with the pull off and hammer on. The Sanz piece sounded good too but I am wondering about the precision of the timing during the first ("A") section. I think it is worth listening to Stewart's practice here because he is using a metronome to help hold the timing.
Stewart, good to hear your practice, I liked that you took it slow and steady and focused on the timing of the trills with the metronome. In the trill practice, I notice your timing is fine on the stopped strings but it seems to fall apart a bit when you play a trill on the open strings.
Overall though both excellent for a first practice. Look forward to hearing it again in a couple of weeks.

Ned

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 am

Hi all,

Glissando:
[media]https://youtu.be/wx0nET4AUFo[/media]

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:03 pm

:bravo: Ross and Coen, I thought both your practices were really good - I enjoyed your improvisation Ross and you seem to have the technique for the trills well under control.
Coen I particularly liked the tone of your playing on the Sanz piece and your LH fingering looked good and fluent on the trill practice. Nice to have a close up of the left hand.

Like Jack I am finding the alternation of the LH fingering for the trills quite a challenge, I sometimes find myself forgetting and "cheating" by reverting to the use of the same finger...but I intend to persevere. I also have the same problem with a weakness of the fourth finger on the left hand, it doesn't seem to hammer on or pull off the string with the same strength of accuracy as the others...more practice I suppose, to strengthen it.

Ned

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:21 am

Hello dear friends :bye:
At last weekend and little time for exercise
[media]https://youtu.be/OESgh6Elfk0[/media]
:merci: for watching.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Ned, pretty good start, especialy after so short practice time. The tension shows in your playing, but practice makes perfect. I noticed that your LH thumb is almost at the oppostite position of where is should be when performing the thrils: The thumb should be directly under the finger performing the thrill. This increases control. Try it, it real helps

Goran, also a good start. I have the feeling you sometimes want to go too fast. Speed is not everything, playing something slowly, but with a perfect tone, sometimes is better. If you go too fast too quickly you end up making small mistakes which may turn into a bad habbit when it is repeated often during practice. Stil: very good for a weekend practice!!

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:54 pm

D03,

I've been lurking but not posting. Most of the feedback given to the performances are spot-on and so I've had little to add. :desole: I for one am still having some finger pain from my 3 week old injury (It really was a fantastic bruise/lump!) especially with trills, naturally!

Speaking of trills and the use of multiple fingers: I too find it rather cumbersome. Has anyone seen this technique done this way as opposed to only using one finger? I think that Coen is right in saying that using any fingers other than 4 may not be such a bad idea but the use of 4 will inevitably slow you down. Coen jokes about his lazy 4 finger, but show me a guitarist that DOESN'T feel that way! I'll certainly still practice this technique as we're being taught both out of respect for our generous teacher but also to give that lazy 4 a workout. I cannot however imagine using 4 in trills for a performance (should I ever give one...lol). Perhaps future practice will make me feel differently!

Good job all!

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi all

I justed noticed that now at the bottom of Mr Delcamp post an index appeared where we are listed with which songs we have posted so far. This is cool! Just like the list Goran started a few weeks ago.
The list also appeared in the previous lessons. This is a nice improvement!
:bravo: :delcamp_fiesta: :love:

Mark, take care with your hand. Be patient, play ony short times. If you do too much, it might take longer too heal!
It must be awful not to be able to practice.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Coen van Dijk wrote:I justed noticed that now at the bottom of Mr Delcamp post an index appeared where we are listed with which songs we have posted so far. This is cool! Just like the list Goran started a few weeks ago.
The list also appeared in the previous lessons. This is a nice improvement!
And incidentally, looking back at our past lessons, there is an index list under each of M. Delcamp's posts....this has kindly been compiled by Robert Goodwin, to clarify whether we are meeting the exam entry criteria. Remember that if you want to take the end of year exam, you will need to post all the pieces that are requested in a minimum of seven lessons during the year...which means I think I have got a little catching up to do with one or two missing submissions... :oops:

Ned

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:27 am

Since I am new to the lessons I never took an exam before. How does this exam work? Should I get nervous already?

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 am

Coen van Dijk wrote:Should I get nervous already?
Yes :? :chaud: :contrat: .

:lol:

Last year exam you can see here os Spanish forum.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”