D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Mark Bacon

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Mark Bacon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:30 am

Ross,

For your Las Hachas-whenever you play a bass note along with a chord (usually on beat 1) the chord is barely audible, losing out to the bass note. This kinda makes the melody seem to spring out of nowhere in beat 2. This is most prevalent in the first section of the piece, you seem to improve it in the second part. Otherwise it seems to be coming along nicely-good job!

Mark

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Apologies to you all for my low input to this lesson. :desole: I didn't get chance to record again and haven't really managed much useful advice on your excellent postings. I'm afraid my work has taken up too much of my free time, including the weekend. Hopefully I'll manage more in Lesson 7. See you there!
Stewart

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Marko
Excellent Las Hachas :D
I would try to get it a little more legato the quarter notes in the first half are a little stacato for me.

Mark
Well Played :D
For the slide I like doing a bit of a barre so that the bass note C can ring for 3 beats.
I also tried this but in the end settled for the clipped bass note with the faster slide to the fifth fret with the little finger. It sounds considerably better in practice to keep the C ringing but as the speed increases the difficulty of getting the bar in place also increases while the duration of the C not is decreasing (and becomes less of an issue).

See you all in lesson 7. I've had a quick look hmmm... interesting... :|

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:31 am

Mark, similarly to Richard I settled for the position shift. The main reason for me was that with the 3rd position bar it was very difficult to get back to first position to play the F and D clean and in time. With faster tempo, bar 11 is already somewhat difficult in that the RH needs move up quickly to play the notes on 4th string. Having the left hand position shift at the beginning of the measure just made it difficult for me to keep the form, as too many things seemed to be happening too quickly. Although the two rapid position shifts were more difficult than the 3rd position bar, they give me more time to prepare for measure 11.

Richard, thanks for your comment! I tried the 3rd and 4th beat notes both legato and staccato, and ended up using staccato as it sounded better to me adding some percussive flavor. As the name of the piece means "dance of the axes", the staccato in my opinion added some atmosphere of danger :) I also dislike playing long melody notes on open strings, as I cannot do any pitch modulation on them ("vibrato" may be a bit strong word in this context). I guess this is a matter of opinion, and I also confess that I did somewhat sloppy job with the staccato. It sounded like I wasn't paying attention at all to the duration of those notes. I should have been more clear on my intentions, and do the staccato more sharply, or alternatively go for full legato :D
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Hello! Here are my submissions for Lesson 6. I see lesson 8 came out today. Hopefully, I can post lesson 7 in the next couple of days and get caught up with the group for Lesson 8!

C major trills:
[media]https://youtu.be/DUxAJ5w7xOE&feature=plcp&context=C42cbdb5VDvjVQa1PpcFPL05a8NKtzP2A5pBRIYnCEa9lo-8Gryy4=[/media]

Sanz- Minona De Cataluna

I was trying to soften the D bass notes on the repeat of the A section, I played them a little too quiet! :desole:
[media]https://youtu.be/NNNv59bMQaA&feature=channel[/media]

:merci: for listening!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”