D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:37 am

I can't help but to confess I haven't practiced the last two nights as I saw David Russell perform a small venue for two hours last night, and watched him do a masterclass tonight! He is amazing, and since this was my first witness to a masterclass, I must say it provided me with many things to think about, such as hand positions, finger position, slowing down when practicing in order to perfect things, and many other things I hope I can remember when I can get back home to play.After seeing how a teacher can provide individuals with specific details about their playing technique,I may have to reconsider about finding a private teacher even if it is only once a month! I'm leaving this snowy winter weather for hot and sunny skies for a few days!Keep up all the great work! :bye:

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 am

Hello Jack, you're lucky, you can also tell us :merci: . :bye: :discussion:

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:08 am

That is so cool Jack! I saw Russell years ago before he made it big and he blew me away back then (he played the Bach Chaconne among other things).

I also may have the chance to get a guitar teacher, if it works out I'm going to still do this course but get input from the teacher (for the rest of this year at least).
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:06 am

[media]https://youtu.be/J9WlrZ6FJTY[/media]Hello, in your judgment, my Pavana 1, with great effort. :bye: :discussion:

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Giuseppe,
This is a much harder piece to play than it looks and you did a good job! Trying to keep the proper tempo and stretch the fingers to make the barre chord and not get buzzing is very difficult.You succeeded much better than I have been able to up to this point.A beautiful piece that is good for working on good clear tone, variety of voices, proper tempo, fast finger shifting and stretching and personal interpretation. The sound of your guitar is very nice! :bravo:

I hope I can get a good take of this soon.

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:47 pm

As I mentioned earlier I was able to see David Russell perform up close, and was trying to learn as much as I could while watching him.

One thing I have problems with are bar chords and getting consistent clear notes, something I have been struggling to do with the barres in the Sor piece and also the Milan Pavan. I noticed that David when playing never lets the thumb of his left hand go past the middle of the neck and at times is right on the edge of the neck nearest the high E string, as when he plays some bar chords where he must really stretch to get the notes. His hand position is angled so that it is closer to the body of the guitar, which allows his index finger to be more parallel with the fret, and also the pinky is more easily able to reach the strings, especially the low E and A strings. This is hard to make habit, and feels unnatural, as I have always had my wrist angle the other way, probably from so many years playing simple chords. It is hard to describe and probably warrants a close up photo to see the difference. But, I will be focusing on that aspect while I continue to make my videos, and perhaps it will be obvious to see.
I just thought it might be helpful for others that may be having a hard time with the bar chords.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:57 pm

2nd post: Sor, Luis Milan, Barcarolle, and Lu Primm' Amore

More mistakes than the 1st post but I think I played with better expression.

I apologize for the camera placement and darkness of video, I guess I need to sit where I block the light from the window!

[media]https://youtu.be/O5w-FP7-bs8[/media]
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:44 am

:bravo:
Very nice little concert you put on Jeremy! The melody on all pieces is very beautiful, and the bass lines are soft and don't drown it out, but provide a nice accompaniment to it. Your tone is very good and it is very easy to ignore the mistakes as the feeling you project draws one into the music.Each one has a different feel, and now after hearing your versions, I see how important it is to slow down, and play as good as we can with feeling and emotion. I think these tunes are just as beautiful played slowly as they are a faster tempos. You really nailed the Pavan, and play those rapid scales and bar chords clearly and at tempo! I felt like maybe you started the Sor slow but somehow it speeded up, but I may be wrong about that, and really it doesn't matter because it sounded great.
Good job.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:41 am

Guiseppe, great work on the Pavane, you play it very beautifully and clearly! Nice stretch on the F-chord right before the fast run, I simplified this and played it with a barre on the 3rd fret and the C on the 3rd string, you did the stretch and made it work.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:54 am

Thanks Jack for the comments. You may be right about me speeding up the tempo on the Sor, what I was trying for was a flexible tempo guided by the melody notes, as if I were playing them without the arpeggio accompaniment in a kind of rubato expressive fashion. Then the arpeggio part adjusts to the particular tempo of the section that it goes with (that was the idea anyway, it worked better in some of my practice sessions!) Sometimes I could really hear the low not on the arpeggio as kind of a cool repeated note brought out a little more, and the motion of this note from chord to chord is interesting - I was hoping to bring this out but don't think I really made it happen.

One thing that has helped me on some of these barres is knowing which notes are actually held down by the barre (in most cases it seems like it's just two), so you don't really have to press down all 6 strings, just the ones that are played that aren't fingered by other fingers. I can focus my pressure on these points so I don't have to press as hard and I can wait to press until the note is needed - also this guides which part of my index finger goes over those notes.

I see from my mistakes that I really need to practice the beginning 6 measures of each song a lot more to avoid false starts.
Jeremy

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:21 am

Hello Jack, thanks for the comment, and explained how to play by David :merci: :merci: :bye:

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 am

Hello Jeremy, congratulations for all the pieces, Sor beautiful. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bye:

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Here is my Pavan. This take was my best as I hit the notes on the bar chords.Thanks for the explanation on how to play bar chords Jeremy. I have been trying that but it doesn't always come off.
[media]https://youtu.be/16JBVBXv4rA[/media]

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Very nice on the Pavane, Jack! Clear, good tone, played in rhythm and very musical. Also, you got the long stretch from the low F to the high A - I'm still working on executing that cleanly.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”