D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
David Yang
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by David Yang » Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 am

Hi all, I'm late for the online lessons and still learning how to share the videos here. It's taken me too much time to share video from YouTube. So I'm trying Google+ instead. If anyone can watch my videos, please kindly let me know, thanks.

Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) : CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page 6)
https://plus.google.com/photos/+GuangYa ... 5701439168

Anonyme : Old Mac Donald

Anonyme : Il est minuit
Music begins where language ends.

Shelby Brown

Post by Shelby Brown » Fri May 09, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi David,

I was able to view your video, and you sounded good! :bravo:

Shelby

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Sat May 10, 2014 12:13 am

Thanks for encouraging, Shelby. I think other students are buzy preparing for the exams. It'll be great achievement and pleasure to make progress lesson by lesson. Lack of the feelings for long after school. I started from D01 and aim to join D02 in coming September.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Sat May 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Yang - just watched your "Old MacDonald" and must say it sounded good and your technique looked spot on so you should do well. You look at least up to D02 level and you may well finish D01 before D02 starts. Anyway best of luck. Mark

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Sat May 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for your feedback. When I study Lesson One exercises, to me, challenges at least include damping properly and playing while reading scores. It's great fun to watch other students playing the same pieces and to learn from them. Best wishes to you as well.

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Tue May 13, 2014 6:41 am

The timetable works for me. Practicing on a daily basis and focusing on tough sections are necessary for a gradual and promising improvements. Thanks for sharing this, Mr. Delcamp.
Jean-François Delcamp wrote: Timetable for the beginner:
In order to progress, you need a little time each day for 6 days of the week. Here is the minimum necessary when you are a beginner:
3 days when you can devote 10 minutes to repeating each difficult passage from 6 to 12 times. I'll indicate these difficult passages to you by putting a box (a rectangular border) around them.
and
3 days when you can devote 30 minutes to studying the guitar, made up of
- 10 minutes practising the difficult (boxed) passages,
- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases (indicated by phrase marks) several times in succession (3 to 6 times)
- and finally 5 minutes playing the piece or pieces in full.

Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Spend most of your practice time on the parts you have trouble playing: difficult passages, difficult phrases. Only play pieces the whole way through once or twice a week.

Balrama

Post by Balrama » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:08 am

Hi all

I am going to ask some questions that have most likely been asked before but I have looked through the postings and cannot find these questions but there are a lot of postings.

Firstly I have been learning classical guitar for about a year now and I have been using two resources the Hal Leonard Classical Guitar Method and the Noad Sol Guitar Vol1

So I have not see this course until now and it looks pretty good, so I will have to see where I am up to by September for the next enrolment. Hopefully I should be able to start on D02.

Now for the questions

- Is this course the same or similar to a classical guitar music course that you would do if you actually enrolled in a course at a proper music school at university?

- String dampening - The "Flowers" on the sheet music, I understand what this does in that it prevents the note ringing out beyond the time value as written on the staff. But my question is why have I not seen this in the other HL and Noad resources? and yet here it is on the first page of D01? Would it also follow that whether you chose to damp or not is also a matter old preference, as every open string will ring out if it is not followed by say a rest stroke an a string below which would mute the sound after that note is played

I have just completed all of the lesson 1 exercises and studies.

- A further question on damping, take exercise 3 on page 7, where you have to damp the open b string as the you play an "A' on the third string. I assume that you must therefore lay your second finger slightly flatter so as to sound out the A and mute out the open B.

Just as an observation I am very impressed with what I have seen so far 10 pages in, the technique in the question above is then used in the A La Claire Fontaine piece and Old MacDonald uses the open D damping from exercise 1 on page 6. So its all consistent, this doe not seem to be the case with the Noad book which is all over the place I find. Also Clair De Lune at 168 Bpm with F sharps, and B on the 4th fret there is no mucking about here.

Regards

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:24 am

Hi Balrama,
Balrama wrote:-Is this course the same or similar to a classical guitar music course that you would do if you actually enrolled in a course at a proper music school at university?
I will leave this question for someone more knowledgeable to answer, but will say that one major difference is that you don't get feedback of your playing from a teacher, but from your peers. Therefore it's very important that you spend some time doing research of your own regarding technique, music styles etc. And it is of course expected that you will give feedback to other students. In other words you will need to take on some responsibilities of a teacher.
Balrama wrote:- String dampening - The "Flowers" on the sheet music, I understand what this does in that it prevents the note ringing out beyond the time value as written on the staff. But my question is why have I not seen this in the other HL and Noad resources? and yet here it is on the first page of D01? Would it also follow that whether you chose to damp or not is also a matter old preference, as every open string will ring out if it is not followed by say a rest stroke an a string below which would mute the sound after that note is played
No, whether to damp or not (at all!*) is not a matter of preference in classical guitar. Damping is something that your teacher probably would assist you with. The reason why you haven't seen damping in other resources is probably because it isn't part of standard music notation. It is just assumed that a quarter note lasts one quarter of a bar, after which duration it mustn't sound anymore. It is with guitar that you need to take special steps to make sure that the notes do not overstay their marked duration, but the standard music notation was not developed for guitar especially. I guess no author just saw the need to indicate damping before professor Delcamp, because generally the method books are preferably to be used with a teacher.

*That is not to say that damping is something you need to do always. Sometimes (especially with eighth or sixteenth notes) the notes create a harmony and are supposed to be ringing on top of eachother, which is something called arpeggio. The usual clue is that the successive notes are all played on consecutive strings.
Balrama wrote:- A further question on damping, take exercise 3 on page 7, where you have to damp the open b string as the you play an "A' on the third string. I assume that you must therefore lay your second finger slightly flatter so as to sound out the A and mute out the open B.
Yes, exactly.

Regards,

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Balrama

Post by Balrama » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks Marko

What I am shocked about is that I have not come across this before, in what is fairly fundamental.

abel

Post by abel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:00 pm

hI Paola,
go on . Very nice. I love your sounds.
Bye.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi,
Mr. DelCamp/GeoffB
I, joined this forum on August 26,2014.I, was given access to download D01 pdf course booklet. I, can access this forum and able to watch Mr. DelCamp Demonstration videos, other students videos, discussions, postings, help, solutions etc. All the discussions were in year 2012 and onward. Can you please tell me, Will there be any further continuity of classes and exams for 2015.I have not yet received any confirmation e-mail about my status. Am I, accepted in D01 user group, Do, I begin my practice and submit my videos to be watched for comments etc in this forum.
From the music sheet, I understood most of the symbols placed around or over the staff.
Most prominent ones,
1.Treble Clef with 8 printed at the clef base.
2.numbers inside circles denote string numbers.
3.numbers written close to note tell me the status of the string,0 mean open string
4.p,i,m,a denote the right hand thumb, Index, Middle, Ring fingers
5.Flower symbol shows damping of the string after Rest stroke. It can be done both by left hand and right hand. For left hand, it is denoted by /2* , for right hand, it will be denoted by /i*,/p*etc
6.To repeat a piece, thick black bar with two dots on staff denote repeat function.
7.Concept of whole note, half note, Quarter note,8th note,16th note
8.Concept of rest,whole,half,quarter,8th,16th
9.Concept of sharp/flats
10.Concept of Tie, an arc line joining two notes
11.Concept of Vibrato
12.The following not understood from Mr. DelCamp D0 music sheet.
Long Tie line starting on first note of first bar and ends at last note of 4th bar,
Not understood numbers above staff lines 1e,2e,3e,4e.
Watched some external videos for understanding Classical guitar playing techniques referenced by other members on this forum. Thanks for all the efforts. Hope to listen from you soon. I will continue my practice

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi haqzaf,

Please read Marko's reply to you here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&p=951858#p952000

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi, Geoff
I did read the Marko reply and comply the following.
I requested the Forum administrator to update my real first and last name.
I updated my real location, Country using the control tab.
I already posted DelCamp Classical Guitar courses publicity link on youtube
I already posted my Greetings to New members forum
I already downloaded the D01 course PDF and started to read understand and practice the pieces.
I watched, read the student submitted videos, forum questions, solutions, corrections etc.
I read and make it ready, how to create mp3 files to be submitted for viewing.
Hope you will guide me if anything else required. Thanks for your answers help to many students.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi Zafar,

It looks to me that you are well prepared for the upcoming lessons. Now we'll just wait for the registrations to begin. Regarding the questions you had on Delcamp score collections, the long tie line you describe is most probably a phrase mark. It marks the beginning and the end of a musical phrase. To find out more information about musical phrasing please see Wikipedia, Phrase (Music) and use the search function of this forum to find more information about 'phrasing'.

1e,2e,3e,4e has to do with counting the rhythm out loud. 'e' stand for 'and' in English. It's a way to count two strokes for a single beat, the first half of the beat consisting of the number (1,2,3 or 4) and the second half of it of the 'and' syllable. I'm afraid I cannot explain it much better to you. Please ask more specifically, if you still have something about it unclear.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 pm

To,Moderators
GeofB,Marko
Hi,
Almost six days passed. During this period, I, did practice watching the Mr. Delcamp provided D01 printed sheets for page 6 to page10.
I, also spent lot of time searching, watching demo videos, discussions on the forum for good quality affordable solution for recording audio and video. I did visit the music store for microphone cables, portable digital mp3 recorder ,condenser microphones included. Now I'm testing this hardware to my existing room noise, computer interface integration, etc.
I recoded Mp3 audio file for CORDES A VIDE part1.Will not post it on this forum. Will wait to obtain a video audio recording of the same piece for forum viewing.
Due to above mention reasons I'm not ready to post the three videos required as a condition.
Hope you will extend it to another week.Thanks

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”