D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:11 am

Hi,
Marko,
Thanks
Understood the concept of phrasing, reading the link you provided.
Regarding numbers 1e,2e...4e.
If the note is 1/8th, it can be read as "1 and,2 and...etc".If note is quarter, or 4 quarter notes in a bar will read as 1,2,3,4.
If it is half note, the count will be one rest stroke, time duration of 1,2 count. On page 6,CORDES A VIDE, phrase begin with half note, above the half note, it is written "1e,2e", instead of "1,2".Not yet clear to me. Hope you may help me out to understand it.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:01 am

Zafar Haq wrote:Due to above mention reasons I'm not ready to post the three videos required as a condition.
Hope you will extend it to another week.Thanks
Hi Zafar,

I think you may have misunderstood. The posting of audio or video recordings of 'mandatory' pieces for at least 7 out of 10 lessons is a required condition to participate at the end of the year exam. You do not need to post any recordings before the actual lessons start, which will hopefully happen soon. What you see here is the lesson 1 thread for class D01 of last year. This thread will be moved into the archives when the lessons of this season start, and will be replaced by a new thread also named 'D01 Classical guitar lesson 01'.

It will probably be at least another week until the first lesson is posted here, and even when that happens you do not need to start studying it immediately. Just practice the lessons for at least one week before recording yourself and posting the recordings into the lesson thread.
Zafar Haq wrote:Regarding numbers 1e,2e...4e.
If the note is 1/8th, it can be read as "1 and,2 and...etc".If note is quarter, or 4 quarter notes in a bar will read as 1,2,3,4.
If it is half note, the count will be one rest stroke, time duration of 1,2 count. On page 6,CORDES A VIDE, phrase begin with half note, above the half note, it is written "1e,2e", instead of "1,2".Not yet clear to me. Hope you may help me out to understand it.
You shouldn't change the way you count just because the duration of the note is different than before. I think the point is to emphasize that you should count "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2..." all the way from the beginning to the end of the piece. If you already know how to read music and sing or play another instrument from the printed music, you probably won't need to count when you play. The purpose of counting is to establish the tempo and the rhythm, and help you with knowing when to play a note. Once you have become fluent with reading music, you won't need to count except perhaps when you come across some complex rhythmic pattern.

Also it's completely up to you whether you count with 'ands' or without them. If you find it easier to count just 1,2,3,4, and you don't have any problems timing the 1/8 notes, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do it like that.

Hopefully this helps! :bye:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:48 am

Hi, Marko,
Thanks,
1.Good to hear that, I have sufficient time to post any student material for year 2015 forthcoming classes.
Quite a relief to me.
2.Regarding, 1e,2e...,I will count, what the music sheet notes are. I understood it better now from your reply. :)

Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Im looking at the materials here, about to get started but I have a question.
The book is only a series of pieces, written in a PDF.

Is that the course in its entirety? (including the technique videos of course, like rest stroke video).

you do the material, once done, well, and at tempo, do the next?
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi samljer,

Did you look at the FAQs thread?

Also, if you're planning to participate in the next session of the lessons, please see the first post of Conditions for participating in the lessons thread. Mind you, that thread will be soon updated with relevant information for the next session of lessons (updated posters, dates, etc.). If you're not planning to post any videos / take the exam, you won't need to register for the lessons, and you won't need to fulfill the conditions.

The lessons of a single level, for example D01 contain only some, not all of the pieces and technical exercises of the corresponding pdf book. The course consists of 10 lessons per a level, each lesson in its separate thread, such as this one, where the first post contains the instruction and the videos. Each lesson thread should contain specific instructions of what is expected of you for that lesson. At the end of the session (in May / June time frame) there is an optional end of year exam for those who have completed at least 7 of the 10 lessons by posting their recordings of the pieces / exercises that are marked as requirement for the exam.

If you have any questions specific to a certain lesson, you can post your question as well as other discussion related to that lesson in the thread for that lesson.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”