D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Adam S. Vernon

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:47 am

Stefan Srećković wrote:I'm shocked to see someone with your post count attending D02! :shock:

Nevertheless, glad to have you on board! :cafe:
You're right, I probably should not skip D01.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:08 am

Tom Hayes wrote:Thanks for your help everyone. By reading the replies it seems like I just fell into the practice of leaving the thumb on the string for too long, when I can actually take it away from the adjacent string shortly after it has come to rest and then allow it to hover in a similar style to the free stroke technique. I hope this sounds about right :)
Hi Tom,

Once the rest stroke is completed, the thumb or fingers are free to move but leaving your thumb in place on the rest string until it's needed can have a stabilizing effect on your right hand. Floating the fingers continually may give rise to too much motion of the hand. Basically, your hand should be fairly still and your fingers should do the moving.

Best regards,
Bob G.

Tom Hayes

Post by Tom Hayes » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks Robert. To start with my fingers kept bumping into my thumb when I left it on a string, but it's getting much easier now after practice as I'm learning to slide my thumb slightly further up the string and out of the way. As you say it creates a more stable effect on the right hand by leaving it there, and acts better as an anchor now for the rest of the fingers.

Tom.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Adam S. Vernon wrote:
Stefan Srećković wrote:I'm shocked to see someone with your post count attending D02! :shock:

Nevertheless, glad to have you on board! :cafe:
You're right, I probably should not skip D01.
I think Stefan refers to your 1025 posts on delcamp forum :)

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:52 pm

I do actually, not sure what Adam was referring to. Making progress on that que ne suis je la fougere piece, Beatriz? I find it rather difficult.

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:40 am

Just a little sarcasm...

I think there is a lot to learn from D01 and D02... sight reading, which I stink at, plus the techniques that Mr. Delcamp emphasizes, specifically rest stroke and string damping. Rest stroke with the thumb and another finger simultaneously is quite awkward at first, and it's not something I've done before.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Adam, you are right, you could be playing guitar for years and still find D01 difficult. We are on the same boat :)

Stefan, actually I think I feel more comfortable playing Que ne suis je la fougere than Oh, susana, perhaps because it is at a slower pace, also he said la fougere with free strokes and oh susana with rest strokes. I hope you are doing that.
I started working full time in Sept so I got not much time to practice during the week, weekdays maybe just half an hour. That's why I am not ready to post yet.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:31 pm

I feel like I've got no control over my RH in Que ne suis je la fougere. Even when using free strokes :/

Tom Hayes

Post by Tom Hayes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Really enjoying the challenges in this lesson so far. After a few months rest from classical guitar, it's so nice to be back in the world of apoyando's and tirando's again! :) Here are my submissions for this lesson.

Polyphonie:
[media]https://youtu.be/eZFS3zq9Y1I[/media]
Que ne suis je la fougère:
[media]https://youtu.be/OeozTRDm5b8[/media]
Oh Susanna:
[media]https://youtu.be/156YC38e9_g[/media]

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Congratulations on being the first person to submit videos for this D02 course Tom!

I think you should review some of the notes in Que ne suis-je, bar two in particular and any other repetition of bar 2. I believe you misread the A and C for eight notes, and you've played those other two E notes as quarter notes. Instead of A and C being played as quarter, and two Es as eight notes. Susanna was spot on!

Pretty good considering you've only practiced these for 6 days! :cafe:

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:13 am

Well done Tom, its quite smooth play!
As Stefan has said it, on Que ne suis-je, the A on the 2nd measure is quarter note.
I also notice that you mute all of the bass notes according to the rest indicated. Correct me if I'm wrong but that little flower thing is just there to assist us in our learning - not the official symbol. So muting should be based on the rest symbols?

Your apoyando is also good. I'm still struggling with my apoyando cause most of the time, my nails get stuck on the string. I have to press it harder but it ends up the sound to be too loud sometimes.
Yamaha CG162C
D'Addario EJ45

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 am

Hi Tom, same as Stefan and William, I noticed the first phrase in Que ne suis-je la fougere didn't sound right, I am not good at saying what's wrong, but they already told you.

I liked your Oh, Susanna, very good, out of curiosity, at which speed did you set the metronome?
WilliamTee wrote:I also notice that you mute all of the bass notes according to the rest indicated. Correct me if I'm wrong but that little flower thing is just there to assist us in our learning - not the official symbol. So muting should be based on the rest symbols?
Yes, the flower is to damp the preceding note with thumb, but wait, I wasn't paying attention to mute when there is a rest, I was ignoring all the rest symbols. Someone clarify PLEASE...

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 am

Hi all,

Here is my recordings. Pardon the tapping sound on Que Ne Suis-Je La Fougere.

Polyphonie
[media]https://youtu.be/cFzg4CsrbkU[/media]

Anonym, Que Ne Suis - Je La Fougere
[media]https://youtu.be/DdAYFLhhhyw[/media]

Stephen Collins FOSTER, Oh! Susanna
[media]https://youtu.be/fwSGaY0mfC0[/media]

Thanks for watching.
Yamaha CG162C
D'Addario EJ45

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:40 am

Hi William,
I liked a lot Que ne suis je la fougere. That's a very nice piece.
In regards to Oh, Susanna, just keep working on increasing the tempo slowly.

Katherine Chu

Post by Katherine Chu » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 am

Hi Tom. I think you played quite well.

I agree with everyone else about the notes on Que ne suis-je, and I only have an extra comment about Oh Susanna, and it is that you missed the base D note on the bar 17

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”