D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Katherine Chu

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Katherine Chu » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:10 am

Hi William,

As Beatriz said, your Que Ne Suis sounds very nicely. I just wanted to add that you should work on damping the notes, specially when you see a rest symbol. Also it seems that you played the wrong bass note on bar 21.

For Oh Susanna, you missed the bass note on bar 13, but probably you have already noticed that :D .

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:11 am

Beatriz Martin wrote:
WilliamTee wrote:I also notice that you mute all of the bass notes according to the rest indicated. Correct me if I'm wrong but that little flower thing is just there to assist us in our learning - not the official symbol. So muting should be based on the rest symbols?
Yes, the flower is to damp the preceding note with thumb, but wait, I wasn't paying attention to mute when there is a rest, I was ignoring all the rest symbols. Someone clarify PLEASE...
Whenever there is a rest symbol the voice it relates to must be stopped. In case of an open string ringing, it must be then damped. If it's a fretted note, it is usually enough to ease the pressure on the fretting finger.

The flower symbols are not part of the standard notation, but are added in Delcamp music sheets to indicate and additional need for damping to prevent two notes from ringing on top of each other when they should not. They are typically used with open string bass notes, and melodic lines when there is an open string note followed by another note. Depending on which string needs to be muted, it can happen with any of the right hand or left hand fingers. For bass notes it is nearly always the right hand thumb though.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Tom Hayes

Post by Tom Hayes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:36 am

Beatriz Martin wrote:Hi Tom, same as Stefan and William, I noticed the first phrase in Que ne suis-je la fougere didn't sound right, I am not good at saying what's wrong, but they already told you.
I liked your Oh, Susanna, very good, out of curiosity, at which speed did you set the metronome?
Hi Beatriz,

Que ne suis-je la fougere was such fun to learn, but I'm aware I haven't even come close to perfecting it yet. Watching the video back I can see quite a few mistakes, including missing a quarter note in the 2nd measure as has been mentioned. I probably won't submit it again but will continue to practice this piece as it just sounds so nice :) For Oh Susanna, I didn't actually use a metronome, but maybe this is something I should do in the future. Out of curiosity, do many people use metronomes when performing these pieces?
William Tee wrote: I'm still struggling with my apoyando cause most of the time, my nails get stuck on the string. I have to press it harder but it ends up the sound to be too loud sometimes.
I had this exact same problem, but ended up just trimming my nails so that three-quarters of the nails on my picking hand gradually slopes up toward the outside of my finger, and the remaining quarter slopes sharply down. Bit of filing then to make sure it's smooth. I'm not sure if this is the correct method but it certainly made it easier for me.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Good luck to everyone else :)

Tom.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:16 am

I'm glad we started being honest to each other. This wasn't the case in D01 at all. Everyone's play was "fabulous" and "fantastic"! :D

We're all here because we want to become better at CG, so pointing out other people's mistakes is a good thing to do! :cafe:

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 am

Here are my takes after a week's work. I found that french titled one to be the most difficult.

[media]https://youtu.be/LL6RRrv8riQ[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/g8fDur5mHSE[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/lv_sYN10mmQ[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/vRTFyGEwFDE[/media]

Daniel Christiansen

Post by Daniel Christiansen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Nicely done, Stefan. Very clear, and smoothly played throughout.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 pm

:bravo: Stefan! I have no idea what are those right hand stability issues you complain about, as to me your right hand looks rock solid :P
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Stefan,
I like your converse sock :D
Stefan Srećković wrote:Here are my takes after a week's work. I found that french titled one to be the most difficult.
The title is so long we don't write it anymore :lol: I am going to say la fougere :)
One thing I didn't like about la fougere is the way you stop the strings on the rest symbols, it seems to me you press too hard to mute them, if you listen to Mr. Delcamp he mutes them gently, at least that's how I hear them, so this is a way I like it anyways.
Tom Hayes wrote: For Oh Susanna, I didn't actually use a metronome, but maybe this is something I should do in the future. Out of curiosity, do many people use metronomes when performing these pieces?
Tom, I haven't used metronome, I barely use it at all but I was curious 'cause I know the tempo is faster than what it seems to me.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Sock stood up to the challenge I must say!

Tom I use the metronome for the first couple of sessions just to get the idea of the tempo.

And Bea, I agree with what you say, my rests/damps are indeed too sharp. Thanks!

Katherine Chu

Post by Katherine Chu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:36 am

Hi Stefan, that was really nice!

I just have a comment on the Polyphonie #2, and it is that it seems that you played bar 12 the same as bar 13. But the rest was just perfect :bravo:

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Polyphonie p.26
[media]https://youtu.be/Ug0PU-_JLFY[/media]

Oh! Susanna
[media]https://youtu.be/3XpTYVjuZUY[/media]

LA FOUGÈRE
[media]https://youtu.be/tq5BmeF1mY0[/media]

'Oh! Susanna' is tough. I don't think I managed to do any of the string damps in this video, although I was sure I had gotten some of them. :?

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:13 am

Hi Halil, very good!
I would suggest for next videos that it would be a good idea for us to see your left hand and not just the right hand. I like how you play La fougere . I agree that Oh Susanna is tough, perhaps review bars 7, 9 and 10. Maybe someone has a more specific advise on notes durations, it seems some notes don't have the right duration.
Good job!

Valerie Reid

Post by Valerie Reid » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 am

First off: comments for those that have already posted:

Tom: overall well played! There was the note duration problem that someone mentioned earlier. The one other thing I noticed is that it appears that you have a lot of tension in your right thumb. The joint closed to your nail appears fully extended. Extra tension can cause fatigue and fatigue can lead to errors, pain, frustration, war... Anyway. Other than that I was very impressed with what you were able to accomplish in only 1 week!

Will: In the practice piece you seemed to have some difficulty playing the notes simultaneously. However, on the French piece you seemed to have no trouble at all! Oh, Susanna, had several paired notes that were fractionally miss timed. Some room for improvement, but no bad habits that I could see and a nice clear tone overall.

Stefan: In the first piece: It doesn't look like you dampened the bass notes. In Oh, Susanna I noticed some tension in your body- specifically in the left hand's little finger (5th finger, pinky finger). Also in the French piece and Oh, Susanna your head was very forward, I am guessing this is because your sheet music was below eye level. As a physiotherapist I cringe at that positioning and suggest raising the height of your sheet music to avoid a pain the neck

Hailil: Like, Bea, I noticed that the rhythm on Oh, Susanna was faster in some segments than in others. Delcamp recommends counting out loud, to develop an inner metronome. But let me be a bit of a delinquent and say that I find actual metronomes handy- as well as playing along with Delcamp video examples :)

And here are my samples from yesterdays and tonight's practices. I changed the fingering a bit. I'm nursing a very sore left hand that was injured two weeks ago. My fingers aren't quit up to the stretch needed to play the pieces as indicated. Also, some missed notes on the French piece, I feel like it took me so long to get the part in the box to sound smooth that I didn't have much time this past week to work on the rest of it!

[media]https://youtu.be/gpErt3jKzrE[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/pxDkiju2pgo[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/XLL_9CofVCU[/media]

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:07 am

Thank you for the comments on my videos. I agree that I need to work on keeping a steady rhythm on 'Oh! Susanna'. I could feel the problem as I played...

Valerie, nice job on 'Oh! Susanna'. Looked like the apoyando technique didn't give you much trouble. 'La Fougere' could be more legato I think. Try singing (out loud or in your head) how you want it to sound and then try to imitate that on the guitar.

Stefan, on 'Poliphonie n2' you move your hand back and forth very noticeably. I'm not sure if that's bad, but just thought I'd point it out...

:casque:

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:53 am

:bravo: Valerie.
It's nice to see you again. :discussion:
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”