D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
WilliamTee

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by WilliamTee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:24 am

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for your comment. I'm still not comfortable with apoyando and I have started working to improve it.

I watched your practice too and I notice that your fingers ( I don't know whether its LH or RH) touch strings unnecessarily in quite number of occasions that create buzzes. Also I don't notice that you play the damping, do you?

Cheers.
Yamaha CG162C
D'Addario EJ45

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:41 am

Thanks for watching my video guys.

Katherine, spot on!

Tom, Thanks for the advice.

Stefan,
I like the way you play the poly, nice! Smooth and clear!
I saw Halil's comment on your RH with poly#2, it makes me wonder too.
The french piece is good.

Overall your apoyando is good in my opinion, keep it up.

Valerie, I hope your LH recover soon. I just noticed that after I put my comment on your practice. So that must be the reason why you didn't damp the notes as indicated. If I may advise you not to put too much stress on your LH yet until it's fully recover.

Cheers,
Will
Yamaha CG162C
D'Addario EJ45

Rameen Raha

Post by Rameen Raha » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Hey All,

My nails are curved and I am facing too much problems with playing both p and i/m at the same time.

any solution?

Regards,

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Keep your nails short.

Keep practicing, eventually you will get it.

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Rameen Raha wrote:Hey All,

My nails are curved and I am facing too much problems with playing both p and i/m at the same time.

any solution?

Regards,
I agree with the above, keep your nails very short. I would keep my nails longer if I was doing free stroke all the time, but for these lessons, shorter nails are required.

When doing two fingers, I find that it's more natural if I kind of "pinch" the finger and thumb toward each other. It's a slightly different path for the finger compared to how it would be with single finger strokes.

Also, don't exaggerate and slow down your stroke too much... keep the stroke fast and natural. I find that I tend to get caught on the string when I over-think it.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Rameen Raha wrote:Hey All,

any solution?

Regards,
Hi Rameen :bye:
I would suggest that when you file your nails, hold the file at about a 45 degree angle to the long axis of your finger. generally, you can follow the contour of the tip of your finger in shaping the curve but if you find that a particular point is sticking, you can file just that spot. Go slowly in shaping your nails at first. File a llittle and then try a few notes to see the effect. In time you will know what works best for you. Do use a file with a smoothing surface to take off the roughness from filing for shape.

I had the same problem with simultaneous apoyando in my first year and even a little in second and third year. Just keep practicing. It does get easier with steady use and making little corrections in hand, fingers, posture and just plain familiarity.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Bob G.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:29 am

Valerie, very good. I like your apoyando techniques, it seems you are quite confident and comfortable with apoyando.
WilliamTee wrote:Valerie, I hope your LH recover soon. I just noticed that after I put my comment on your practice. So that must be the reason why you didn't damp the notes as indicated.
Good excuse, I wish I had one like this :lol:

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:16 am

Here are my submissions for the week, I will greatly appreciate your feedback, comments. Thanks for watching! :)

[media]https://youtu.be/X69MgDs9zWE[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/WwC2Ut8jnD4[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/so41uRWsi00[/media]

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:21 am

:bravo: Bea, it's amazing how much progress you have made over the past year. :casque:
No doubt the result of dedicated practice. Well done and keep it up :bye:

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 am

Very good Bea. :bravo:
A couple of things to work on: On "Oh, Susanna" you play the base note too early in some places. The counting is quite difficult in this piece, so I recommend you try to sing the melody line, and then nod your head (or stamp your feet) where the base not should be. Then when you get the feel for where the base notes go, it is easier to get the thumb to play the base notes at the right moment (where you nod:-)
On "Que ne..." you damp the first A base at the pause, but the next E you don't damp, but more important is that in measure 3 (4 if you count the first) you should try to damp the D and the E with your thumb right after the next base note is played.

I'm sure this tip goes for some of the earlier recordings in this lesson (I've not reviewed them now)...
Measure 3(/4) base line should go like this: C, D (lift 3 finger to damp C), E (damp D with thumb and prepare for A), A (damp E with your thumb)
In order to make all of this happen without disturbing the rhythm it is essential to go slow enough. I recommend to practice this measure a bit even if you don't manage to do it when you play the whole piece, as the thumb-damping-technique is very important to master, and the * marking will eventually not be marked in the scores. My experience (I did D01/D02 the year before last) is that now my thumb often damp the last played open string base note automagically :D

-Håvard
Last edited by Håvard.Bergene on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alhambra 11P

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:03 am

Thanks so much Linda and Havard for the encouragement.

Havard, thanks so much for the details description, but I don't understand all of this, certainly I am not understanding how to damp properly, the way I see myself working towards this is in learning to read well the scores.
Håvard.Bergene wrote: On "Que ne..." you damp the first A base at the pause, but the next G you don't damp,
Which G? are you talking about sharp G on third string? I didn't think you have to damp this G, I thought the flower on the open A 5th string indicates damping the preceding base note which is open E on 6th string.
Håvard.Bergene wrote: I'm sure this tip goes for some of the earlier recordings in this lesson (I've not reviewed them now)... Measure 3(/4) base line should go like this: C, D (lift 3 finger to damp C), G (damp D with thumb and prepare for A), A (damp G with your thumb)
Where is the C to damp?

Thanks a lot!

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:27 am

Hi Bea, I think Havard is refering to bass E at the 2nd measure (there is no * sign there but the rest in indicated below the B note)? Another thing I notice Bea is that you released some notes too early.
Yamaha CG162C
D'Addario EJ45

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 am

WilliamTee wrote:Hi Bea, I think Havard is refering to bass E at the 2nd measure (there is no * sign there but the rest in indicated below the B note)? Another thing I notice Bea is that you released some notes too early.
I too believe that by 'G' Håvard is referring to the open 6th string 'E'.
Beatriz Martin wrote:
Håvard.Bergene wrote: I'm sure this tip goes for some of the earlier recordings in this lesson (I've not reviewed them now)... Measure 3(/4) base line should go like this: C, D (lift 3 finger to damp C), G (damp D with thumb and prepare for A), A (damp G with your thumb)
Where is the C to damp?
It's the first bass note of measure 3. As far as I can tell you are damping it by lifting the 3rd finger when playing 'D', as you're supposed to do. Again Håvard's 'G' means 'E'. Apparently there is some kind of code here :D
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 pm

:oops: I dont know why I wrote G... It was the open E I was refering to. Ive edited the post.
Alhambra 11P

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

You're lacking fluidity Bea, especially in Oh Susanna. I still strongly recommend you record these with a metronome in the background! :cafe:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”