D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Gherman Shutkin

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Gherman Shutkin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi! Planning on starting D2 this year :D Haven't played in three month, but some of you guys who also haven't played in a while are doing great; which gives me courage! Hopefully I can get some videos up by next Tuesday!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks William, Marko and Stefan for your help and comments. It is good to have all of this feedback to improve these pieces and in order to avoid the same mistakes with other pieces. Well, I am sure I will always do similar mistakes but at least with this information I can try to play better next time.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 am

Hello all -

just dropping in to say I may be late with my recordings ... Lesson is coming next week and ... (recognizing this is a public board with my own name) ... suffice it to say I will be unavailable to record for the next several days. I had just started a few takes but some unavoidable circumstances have stalled my progress in getting things down well enough to post. I also discovered I had been trying to perfect the wrong technical exercises! So back to the drawing board on p. 26.

I don't want to pile on with comments, and do need to watch everyone's performance. I've watched just Stefan's and Beatriz's. Stefan, you play really well, and your version of la fougere is technically excellent but quite mechanistic compared to M. Delcamp's - who, it appears to me, went in the other direction, taking great liberty with the tempo and, effectively, adding rests where there are none. It was very artistic but harder to play along to since it went so slow in some spots. There's a happy medium somewhere, and I think you did slow things up nicely the second time through (and added that little - what? - a harmonic?).

Beatriz, I am about where you are, and I would say, practice along with M. Delcamp's playing, then move to the metronome (well, for the technical exercises you can probably hit the metronome right away). You may find getting the flow of the song easier that way, and later, the metronome can be used to fine-tune your timing, once you get it roughly down.

It is interesting to me that these pieces or exercises may benefit from shorter fingernails, which I've had all along, but I realize that's not the more common approach in CG. I just have a hard time controlling the nail ... it's tough enough to get the music down without adding one more element that requires additional attention and control. My understanding is that longer nails, of a specific shape, are primarily for volume (though tone too), but I don't need volume for what I do, and I prefer the mellower tone of flesh on the strings anyway. So a happy circumstance there.

Cheers all - CarlW

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks Carl, welcome back! Looking forward to your videos too!

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi folks, I'm still planning to participate, but I've been busy with other things and have not started the lessons yet. I'll dive into them this weekend and should have something to post in a week or so. Sorry for the delay.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Wow, Adam, good luck, the lessons seem demanding to me, maybe it is not the same experience for you so if that is the case I am happy for you. Mr. Delcamp said the songs in lesson 1 were the easiest for this level. Maybe I agree, I am already looking into lesson 2 from last year, although Mr. Delcamp didn't post it yet, but last year there was the malagueña and I started to practice it and it seems quite difficult to me.

Adam S. Vernon

Post by Adam S. Vernon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:Wow, Adam, good luck, the lessons seem demanding to me, maybe it is not the same experience for you so if that is the case I am happy for you. Mr. Delcamp said the songs in lesson 1 were the easiest for this level. Maybe I agree, I am already looking into lesson 2 from last year, although Mr. Delcamp didn't post it yet, but last year there was the malagueña and I started to practice it and it seems quite difficult to me.
D02 looks to be fairly easy technically-speaking, but my problem is sight reading. I usually "cheat" and memorize pieces I play. I'm pretty good at memorization, so I can get away with it. My main goal with the lessons is to improve my sight reading, so I'm going to muddle through it with no memorization and hopefully get better...

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Adam, memorizing is not cheating, actually that's great, that's what most people have trouble with. I used to memorize before reading,then I started to read and I can't memorize, you shouldn't let memorizing aside.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:51 pm

It's impossible not to memorize a piece if you go over it hundreds of times!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Yes, Stefan, you are right, I haven't memorized Delcamp pieces because I haven't gone over them many times, but I know if I did I could memorize them too. It's all about time too, I hope one day I will have more time to go over them, but you are right in what you say :)

Daniel Christiansen

Post by Daniel Christiansen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:13 am

Hello fellow second year (and other) students.

I realize I am joining very late (I hope not too late), but I hope to get in sync with the classes -- and the rest of you -- with the second lesson.

Following are my submissions for the first lesson:

Polyphony 1
[media]https://youtu.be/w_GTlNbpkzU[/media]

Polyphony 2
[media]https://youtu.be/8yltYDxn1w4[/media]

Oh Susanna
[media]https://youtu.be/RoEqB0dk1Jg[/media]

Que ne suis-je la fougère
[media]https://youtu.be/RwuNZ9Pf270[/media]

As you will see if you view the videos, I'm still quite a beginner when it comes to creating music videos. Hopefully that will improve as we go along.

Anyway, see you in lesson 2!
Last edited by Daniel Christiansen on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:31 am

Hi Daniel,

I have made a small edit to your post to embed the videos and make it easier to view them. You can find out how to do that here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24921&p=296052#p296052

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Daniel Christiansen

Post by Daniel Christiansen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:35 am

Thank you Geoff!

I was wondering about that. Now I know...

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 am

:bravo: Daniel, it's never too late to join.

Very good playing! I like how you silence the notes in Que ne suis-je la fougère, not too hard not too soft. I can see Oh, Susanna was a bit tougher for you, but very well in all!

Daniel Christiansen

Post by Daniel Christiansen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 am

Thank you Bea. I tried learning the pieces in sequence, and I think I spent too much time on Que ne suis-je la fougere, and didn't leave enough for Oh, Susanna! This time, I'm going to try to work on all of the pieces at the same time.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”