D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Beatriz Martin

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm

:bravo:
Laura, welcome to the lessons! You did a pretty good job. In la fougere i noticed you had trouble doing the B with the pinky on the 3rd string.
This is not as easy as I thougth to be the first lesson. Every then and now I play this piece and I still dont get it right. After doing the B, it seems hard for me to do the A on 3rd and C on 5th strings.
I wish you good progress and fun with the lessons.

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Thank you Beatriz. I am working hard to get caught up with the rest of the group. Thanks for taking the time to revisit this lesson and give feedback. I'm pretty used to playing that B with the fourth finger, but unless my hand is perfectly placed, I don't always execute it cleanly.

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi, I just joined D2 and hope to catch up although it is a bit late..

Here are my submissions:

Polyphonie 1
[media]https://youtu.be/XkenG7XYVN8[/media]

Polyphonie 2
[media]https://youtu.be/XI90c8EVgDU[/media]

Oh!Susanna
[media]https://youtu.be/gw4AzuMHK_s[/media]

Que Ne Suis-Je La Fougere
[media]https://youtu.be/4CxDsZdSN4s[/media]
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 pm

:bravo: Haris - I think you're going to catch up fast
Regards, Linda

Laertes

Post by Laertes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:01 pm

In "Que ne suis-je la fougère" which fingers do you use to pluck the strings in bars 8 to 11? Most of the notes there are open strings so I have to mute them to avoid them ringing more than their intended duration (8th notes). I pluck the C and D at the end of bar 8 with m and i respectively and in bar 9 I don't know which is the best way for the E-G-E-G-F-E sequence of 8th notes. I tried m-i-m-i-m-i but it doesn't seem natural to keep the i on the 3rd string for the G and the m in the first string for the E and F. I tried also a-i-a-i-a-m but then bar 10 is a bit awkward i-m-i-m-i-m for the D-G-D-G-E-D sequence, bearing in mind that I want to mute the G when it is not supposed to ring. There are other combinations as well.

I suppose there is not a right way but I like to know your thoughts on it.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi Laertes,

In bar 9 you only need to stop G as you play F on the 3rd beat (E will stop automatically as you fret F). The most natural fingering for the first two beats of bar 9 is a-i-a-i. If you stop G with i, your only option to play F-E is either a-m or m-a. But if you do as professor Delcamp does in the video, and use p for stopping G, you could play F-E with m-i, and then continue bar 10 with m-i-m-i and again stop G with p, and play E-D with m-i. Bar 11 can be played either m-i-m-i-m-i, which will include an awkward string crossing, or m-i-a-m-i-m which doesn't.

Hope this helps! :bye:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Laertes

Post by Laertes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks Marko, that makes a lot of sense. The only thing I don't see so clear is that the first G in bar 9 does not need to be stopped according to your answer. It is just an eighth note so I think it should be stopped as soon as you start the second beat playing the E, shouldn't it? Maybe is just so fast that it doesn't matter if you don't exactly follow the score? Is this what you think?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:06 am

Laertes wrote:Maybe is just so fast that it doesn't matter if you don't exactly follow the score? Is this what you think?
No, it's not entirely because of that. Letting the notes ring beyond their written durations and on top of each other is something called 'arpeggio'. The problem is that it isn't easy to tell when to let the notes ring and when to mute them just by looking at the score, as it is largely dictated by guitar playing conventions. Some things simply will sound 'better' done in certain way, because the way we're used to hearing them. There probably are some rules, and lot of exceptions to them, but to understand those rules would require a deeper understanding of music theory. For beginners it is easier to just listen to more experienced players and try to copy what they do.

It's also worth noting that the rules are not absolute. Some people prefer playing some parts in different way than others. In this case it's not wrong to mute all the notes after their duration, but it will make playing the piece unnecessarily hard for 2nd year students, and in my opinion it sounds better to let them ring until the 3rd beat. In general professor Delcamp marks with the flower symbol all the places where he thinks students should use damping for open strings, but in this case it has been omitted from bar 9 3rd beat either by mistake, or perhaps he feels that it makes playing the piece too demanding for 2nd year students.

Besides the E's and G's in bar 9, I would also let the D's and G's ring until the 3rd beat in bar 10. And the same goes for bars 17 and 18, where the exact same pattern is repeated. Professor Delcamp also plays those bars that way in his video.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Laertes

Post by Laertes » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Yes, I agree. In my case I have just been trying to follow the score strictly before I start trying some variations but as you said damping everything according to the written duration is difficult. But that's why I try it, to develop the skill and later be able to do it or not consciously.

On the other hand, I never pay much attention to the flower symbol because I consider it more an aid for the people who can not read music when trying the course, which is not my case. Music notation is a wonderful thing that shows which is the duration of each note clearly. Besides, in many cases, it sounds awful if you don't damp properly, your ears are your guide! (as always)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”