D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Catherine Livingston

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:01 am

Penti and Win, your recordings were good examples r.e. how to dampen the bass strings while playing Schiarazula Marazula.
This is something I haven't done in the past and need to learn. Both of your examples have helped me with this issue.
Win, you play very accurately, and seem to be developing good habits. You
pay attention to details. The speed comes later. Emanuel, you play the pieces well, but the recording is soft. I am so glad you
have joined the class. Thanks for posting the recordings! Looking forward to week 2...
:)
Cat

P.S.- I bought an Amalio Burguet guitar used. The low E string buzzes. Any suggestions to fix a buzzy bass string? I am going to try higher tension
strings first.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:59 am

:bravo: Win

Good to see you back in the lessons, and even better to listen to your recordings :casque:

You are playing them very well. I noticed that you were damping the bass notes correctly (which adds complexity to the pieces), and at the same time playing them with a smooth rhythm and with feeling. That is quite an accomplishment in such a short time. :bravo:

I think you can skip practice for an evening and tidy up your apartment :lol:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:21 am

LindaWoodford wrote:I think you can skip practice for an evening and tidy up your apartment :lol:
And now you know the real reason for my upward looking camera angle :D
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:16 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aha!

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi, and :bravo: to all that have posted a recording. I followed D03 last year, but I was not satisfied with my result on the exam, so I want to try again if time permits... So I've recorded the required pieces for this lessons. My main focus this year is D05, but here are:
POLYPHONIE:
[media]https://youtu.be/dXd5_IpsRCs[/media]

Arpeggi:
[media]https://youtu.be/XHS6ccuPQe4[/media]

Schiarazula marazula
[media]https://youtu.be/bHR9HYXBCV4[/media]

I'll comment more later...

-Håvard
Alhambra 11P

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:54 am

Håvard,

I'm pretty sure that you are aware of this yourself, but I'm going to say it anyway. You are slowing down (even slightly) with 16th notes in Schiarazula marazula. Therefore you should slow down the tempo a bit, or find a right hand fingering that works faster for you. Otherwise you are keeping a very steady pulse. :bravo:

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 am

:merci: Marko. I started slow, and gradually increased the tempo 3-4 times when I did the recording. Unfortunately I had some fumbling in the slower tries, and I didn't want to spend more time, so I kept the last one which was best even with the slowing down... I recorded D04 L1 also (not edited/uploaded yet) which explains the hurry :chaud:
Alhambra 11P

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:50 am

So you're doing 3 levels this year! :shock: :lol:

I've been thinking about posting some of of the D04 pieces that I missed last year when they come up in the lessons, and it's tempting to record something that feels relatively easy at this point, but then again I think D05 will keep me very busy. We'll see.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments. It's nice to see everyone again.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:24 pm

HI!

I am new to this forum and these classes, so I have a silly question....

What does "Exam qualifying submissions" mean?
How does the exam work at the end of this class?

Thanks so much!
:wink:
Cat Livingston

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:37 pm

At the end of the course, one of the pieces is selected for the exam. You get an extra month to practice this piece, then you post up your recording, and it is evaluated by a panel of experts and you get a grade (in Spanish :) )
In order to be able to take the exam, you need to have posted the exam-qualifying pieces in at least 7 of the lessons at that level.

EmmanuelVankerschaver

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:40 pm

... and in order to (start) complying to this I have added my version of the 'Arpeggi di quatro note' to the earlier 'tre note' submission (matter of grouping them together) ...

Marian Kmet

Post by Marian Kmet » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Hello everybody,

nice to see you at D03! I would like to now what right hand fingerings do you use in bars 9 - 11 of Schiarazula Marazula. The suggested fingerings does not make much sense to me and I'm not sure how to continue with the rest of the piece. Have you found some logic/pattern in suggested fingerings? They seem almost random to me :)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:34 pm

The logic is very simple.
#1 Not to use the same finger twice in a row.
#2 No awkward finger crossings (e.g. play 1st string with 'i' after playing 2nd string with 'm' or 'a')

Assuming you end bar 8 with 'm', bars 9 - 11 could for example go (using that same logic):
i,m,i,m,a | m,i,m,i | a,m,i,m,i

Fast mam or ama combinations are something I generally want to avoid because I find them difficult, so I probably rather would make some exceptions to rule #2 instead. It is generally easier for the hand to play 'a' instead of 'm' when going to a lower string (in pitch) from 'i', so I could play those bars:
i,m,i,a,m | i,a,i,m | a,m,i,m,i
I also find ami more comfortable than ima...

I think it's important that you incorporate the use of 'a' finger in scale type passages, and that's the instructional purpose of the piece in the lesson in my opinion / guess. Otherwise the exact fingering you use isn't that important.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marian Kmet

Post by Marian Kmet » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Thank you Marko! I really appreciate your advice. However, I used to end bar 8 with 'a' - I thought that I should use same right hand fingering as in bar #4 there, because the situation is really similar.

But your suggestion works well, maybe I'm making this more complicated than it realy is.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”