D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Tom Hayes

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Tom Hayes » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Pentti and Robert, thanks for your hep earlier. I initially wanted to do d02 and d03 this year, but have decided it would be best if I just concentrate on d02 to get the most out of it before moving on. Hope yours and everyone's progress goes well this year.

Tom.

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 pm

:desole: I'm late with the comments. I guess you've started the next lessons but I'll write something anyway, and you may be able to apply it to something in the upcoming lessons.

Cat: :bravo: Good playing. Nothing else to comment other than the damping issues.

Pentti: :bravo: I think you could let your arpeggios ring even if the durations noted are short. Just take care to damp the base notes.

Emmanuel: :bravo: In Schiarazula you should try to make the base line ring with the right durations. You cut every other note to early. In the arpeggios let the base notes ring until the next base note is played (then take care of damping).

Win: :bravo: Good effort on the damping on Schiarazula. Some missed, but you're definitely on the right track :-)
Alhambra 11P

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:38 am

Hi all,

I know it's a bit late but here is my submission for this lesson. Your comment is most welcome.

POLYPHONIE:
[media]https://youtu.be/cFzg4CsrbkU[/media]

ARPEGGI:
[media]https://youtu.be/v4OvZUfbDzU[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/_dfZ2MIAkzw[/media]

Schiarazula marazula:
[media]https://youtu.be/_OVoq3GW8y4[/media]

Cheers,
Will

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:07 pm

:bravo: William. I think you did the arpeggios very well. As far as I could tell you did the damping as you should on the Shiarazula. It is a bit difficult to tell because of the sound quality and the camera angle that hides your thumb. Maybe you could move the thumb back to the A string a bit faster. Tempo was ok. Only a minor slow-down in the difficult sections. I think your main difficulty in this lesson is the simultaneous rest strokes in the Polyphonie.

Btw I think your sound recording level is set to high, causing some clipping.
Alhambra 11P

Marie-Cécile Satonet

Post by Marie-Cécile Satonet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 pm

:bravo: Hi everybody ! I'm late again this year ! Only started today on the 1e piece !Anyway, I'm givi,g myself 2 years to do level 3, so I doubt I'll record much this year !
I'm quite impressed by your recordings ! Well done, William, WIn, Emmanuel, PEntti, Havard and Cat !

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 am

Thanks for your comment Havard. I usually perform the damping as soon as I could but in this case it was not possible for me to do it as indicated so I did it together with the following note. In Marazula bar 1 for example, I did the damping on the last melodic D note instead on the second bass E note.
How did you do it? I saw your video, not quite sure but it seems that you damped it with the back/side of your thumb?

I will have a look the mic setting in my next video.

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 am

William: It is difficult to see in my video because of the bad frame rate and tempo... In "slow motion" the A(on 5) - E(on 4) alternation should go like this: Thumb plays A(5) using rest stroke landing at E(4)) (to damp it), wait until the right time,thumb plays E(4), and immediately moves back to damp A, rest the thumb on A until the right time to play it. In the G(6) - D(4) alternation do the same but after playing G immediately move down to damp D and wait until the right time... (take care not to play the 5th string, so I suggest not to use rest stroke)
Alhambra 11P

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:07 am

quick question Havard, on bar 1 when you damped A(5), did you do it before or at the same time when you pick d(2). BTW, I totally missed to damp the D(4) in the G - D alternation.

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Damp A as soon as possible after playing E. Preferably before playing the D(2).
Alhambra 11P

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:45 pm

William,

Very nice on all your videos, very clean sound. You have a great sense of rhythm on all of your pieces. Just one comment, maybe it is just a personal preference but for me in some pieces I prefer a little break between phrases, keeps the feeling that there are phrases in the music. Especially in a longer piece like Marazula.

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Havard,

Nice playing on all the pieces. You got Marazula up to a very good speed, and make it seem so easy! Almost perfect till the small trip up at the end!

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi everyone! :D

@William: :bravo: Very fluent and flawless playing. :casque:

@Marie-Cécile: :merci: for your encouraging words. It's good to see you in the lessons again. :okok:

:bye:
Pentti

Mike Modjeski

Post by Mike Modjeski » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:49 am

Hi, looks like everyone is doing nicely.

I'm off to a late start, working on catching up.

Here are my submissions;

[media]https://youtu.be/9i1sQ0_SCns[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/tnKBbKEePzY[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/MP8VS5lGSK8[/media]

P.S. Sorry for the poor video quality, I'm working on it. :oops:

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:22 am

:bravo: Mike!

Well done.

I particularly liked your Schiarazula Marazula. :casque: It was very fluent and flawless.

Regarding Polyphony exercises; These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger. In many places I could not hear the higher note (treble) but only the lower (base) one.

Arpeggi was very fluent. Your submission included only the first part (Arpeggi di tre note) of the Arpeggi page but not the second (Arpeggi di quatro note) one.

Good work, Mike!

Best regards,
Pentti

Mike Modjeski

Post by Mike Modjeski » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Pentti Kotilainen wrote:
...Arpeggi was very fluent. Your submission included only the first part (Arpeggi di tre note) of the Arpeggi page but not the second (Arpeggi di quatro note) one...
You're right Pentti, I don't know how I missed that. I'll get that posted here today.

Thanks for your input!

Mike

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”