D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
LindaWoodford

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by LindaWoodford » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:51 pm

:bravo: Stefan, that was a great performance on Malagueña :casque:

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi one and all

Just must agree with Linda that was truly a fantastic job Stefan. A star is born *

:bravo:

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:42 am

Stefan, Malagueña sounds pretty much like Mr. Delcamp especially from bar 9 until the end, I notice something a bit off in the first few bars, not sure if it's a bit off in tempo or duration of notes. Overall that is pretty much very close to his version, it is a great accomplishment to reach what you have reached with this piece, congratulations!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi Stefan,
I notice something in your exercise 40. Mr. Delcamp leaves the fingers on the string without moving the hand, when he lifts one finger the other stay still on the string. I notice you were moving too much your other fingers and hand.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Here are my videos, all comments very much appreciated :)

An exercise short but difficult to do
[media]https://youtu.be/K6UhLAUY4Ow[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/0nbdJ9PJLEE[/media]
Best version of Malagueña so far, I need to keep on playing with metronome and Mr. Delcamp
[media]https://youtu.be/arISykvlbFw[/media]

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:06 am

Good job Stefan, good job overall. I agree with Beatriz, you rocked your hand too much on ex. 40 but I don't see you do it on other exercise or on Malaguena which I think you played it well and consistent in tempo.
Bea, I think what you meant by off is the bass note (A on bar 2) that is not sounded clearly?

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:30 am

Hi Bea, I bet you know it, on extension 6, the whole note should be held throughout the whole bar (bar 3).
Yup, you need to keep it on the same tempo on Malaguena. I notice that starting from bar 12, your tempo is getting faster. I suggest to play it slowly and more legato.
Keep it up!

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:46 am

:bravo: Stefan! Very nice malaguena!

Some random comments:

- You move your right hand quite a bit when playing rest stroke with your thumb. I'm not sure whether you do that for an effect, or if it's something that just happens. If the latter, it's probably something to be aware of.

- How are you damping the bass E note for example in measure 10? Do you use the side of your thumb? I think it's worth the effort to learn the thumb damping technique Professor Delcamp uses, i.e. plant the thumb on the string to be damped after playing the note on another string. In this particular case the thumb isn't even needed elsewhere. If you already know how to do that, and just wanted to do the damping the way you did, please ignore this comment :)

- Measures 10 and 12 have the thumb damping symbols, but the bass notes are dotted half notes, so there isn't any need for damping. As Professor Delcamp does not damp on those measures, those symbols are probably left there by mistake. Possibly the bass notes were originally quarter notes as in bars 34 and 36, and later changed.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:43 am

Beatriz Martin wrote:I notice something a bit off in the first few bars, not sure if it's a bit off in tempo or duration of notes
Bea, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Having listened to it again I can't hear any oddities in tempo / duration of the notes :(
Marko Räsänen wrote:You move your right hand quite a bit when playing rest stroke with your thumb. I'm not sure whether you do that for an effect, or if it's something that just happens. If the latter, it's probably something to be aware of.
I believe you're referring to bars 17->24 :D I do indeed swing my RH like a madman, never really realized it's this much. I guess I was carried away by the tune!
Marko Räsänen wrote:Measures 10 and 12 have the thumb damping symbols, but the bass notes are dotted half notes, so there isn't any need for damping.
Not sure about this. I can't remember whether Mr. JFD damps here, but I'm somewhat sure that even though the bass is a dotted half note, the damping symbol still affects it, otherwise how would you have written it down? And I am indeed damping this note E with the side of my RH thumb :D

Bea in exercise 6, like William mentioned, you need to keep your fingers down for each measure, especially for the last one. Otherwise your RH isn't getting any training! You still need to practice fluidity in Malaguena. Again I advise you to drop in tempo by quite a bit, for the sake of legato. Once you start feeling comfortable with a much slower speed, start bringing it up to the indicated tempo.

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 am

:bravo: Stefan. Very good. :casque:
I'm not sure what the damping with \p means in mesure 10 and 12. I don't see Mr Delcamp damp with the thumb here. My guess is that either the duration of the base note is wrong or the damping refers to E on 3rd string (the pause).
One thing I noticed was some sympathetic resonance (when you play E on the 4th string, the open E on 6 vibrates in resonance). This is worked on in a later exercise, so no need to worry about it now, but I remember wondering how to avoid it when I did D02.
For instance after measure 26, you are you're supposed to stop playing the E (3). As far as I can tell from the video you are lifting the 2 finger to stop the E, but the E on 1 is vibrates and should also be damped. If you study Mr Delcamp's video you may notice how he damp the E string with the thumb on several spots not indicated with * in the sheet (measure 26 and 31,41... I think looking at the score, but didn't check all spots in the video).
Alhambra 11P

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 am

Håvard.Bergene wrote:My guess is that either the duration of the base note is wrong or the damping refers to E on 3rd string (the pause).
My understanding is that only open string damping is marked by the symbol. Therefore I think the most logical explanation is that the damping mark itself is out of place in those two measures where clearly no damping is done by prof. Delcamp, nor needed.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:47 am

[quote="Stefan SrećkovićBea, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Having listened to it again I can't hear any oddities in tempo / duration of the notes :( [/quote]
WilliamTee wrote:Bea, I think what you meant by off is the bass note (A on bar 2) that is not sounded clearly?

Sorry Stefan, maybe it is what William says, or I am not sure what I mean, I will make sure that when I critique something I know what I am saying to be fair, at least I was right with my critique of exercise 40. :lol:

Guys, thank you for letting me know about Extensions, I will practice well tonight. And thank you for your advice to practice more legato, that has always been a problem difficult to overcome for me.

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Here is my recording. Your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks for watching.

Exercise 6:
[media]https://youtu.be/UY1smKXev00[/media]

Exercise 40:
[media]https://youtu.be/89JwX7KpKpw[/media]

Malaguena:
[media]https://youtu.be/sJiBTjvx0eQ[/media]

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:[quote="Stefan SrećkovićBea, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Having listened to it again I can't hear any oddities in tempo / duration of the notes :(
WilliamTee wrote:Bea, I think what you meant by off is the bass note (A on bar 2) that is not sounded clearly?

Hi Stefan, I too have no idea what I was talking about :D I just listened to your recording again using headphone and I don't hear any irregularity. When I compare it without headphone the A note sounds softer(last melody note of bar 2 and 4, not the bass A). So this could be the reason I guess. So you can ignore my previous comment too and my apology for the confusion.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:13 am

Hi William, nice work, I like your Malaguena, it was quiet pleasant to listen to! :bravo:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”