D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Mark_Steed

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Mark_Steed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Yeah, fantastic job Daniel great tempo and so relaxed you look and sound more like a 5th year student :bravo:

And Goran, your impro on Malaguena was great fun to listen to :merci:

Daniel Christiansen

Post by Daniel Christiansen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:12 pm

:merci:
Goran and Mark, for your kind comments.

Malagueña is a very enjoyable piece to play!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Great Job Daniel! I like how you move your right hand up and down the soundboard when playing the Malaguena. That is not easy to do.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Mark_Steed wrote:And Goran, your impro on Malaguena was great fun to listen to :merci:
What impro?

Daniel Christiansen

Post by Daniel Christiansen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:44 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:Great Job Daniel! I like how you move your right hand up and down the soundboard when playing the Malaguena. That is not easy to do.
Thanks Bea. Yes, moving the right hand was difficult for me -- I'm sort of experimenting with it at this point. But it was necessary in order to capture the tonal variation I was after, so I thought I would give it a try. Hopefully, it will become easier in time.

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Bea you ask what impro

Having watched Satyajit's Malaguena the YouTube screen reverts and there is Goren my old pal playing Malaguena Facil - you can find it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXTt3WLyU84#t=25

Well done to all who have managed this marathon :bravo: :bravo:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 pm

Sorry this is so late in the game everyone. Malaguena was giving me fits. I could not match the speed but tried to get it 80% or so. Just couldn't avoid a couple slip ups. Speaking of 80%, 80% of the time the slip ups were in that fast section, measures 41-43. The other 20% of the time, I would actually get that OK (at 80%), but something else would go awry! Oh well. I did like the tune ... no way I was going to skip this lesson.

Damping – p. 84 no. 40 http://youtu.be/3h-ahfry9eo
Extensions – p. 73 no. 6 http://youtu.be/XeHb7JVHCi0
Malagueña http://youtu.be/xSEFqxkYsYM

I know I need to go back and comment on others as well. I'll try to get to that in the day or so.

As much stress as this can be, there's no way I'd progress without the peer pressure, so I really value this forum. Thanks everyone.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:14 am

Halil: Nice job, esp. on the harder parts of Malaguena. You only stumbled in a couple small parts (:39, :57) so I suspect you could get it perfect without much more practice. Your work in measures 41-43 was great - very nimble fingers working quickly and accurately. Well done.

Your ex. 6 was excellent. Great work at keeping those fingers stretched wide and the notes clean.

Ex. 40 - you might have thrown a couple extra notes in there, otherwise, good. Cheers - CarlW

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 am

Satyajit, nice work, way to keep your composure on Malaguena with the beeping horns of traffic outside! You did a good job. Your finger movements seemed unusual to me in some way, but I can't figure out exactly why. Perhaps it's just the angle of the camera, I'm not sure.

Ex. 6 seemed about 50% slower tempo. (that might have helped me with Malaguena, though for that one, it wouldn't be recognizable).

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:32 am

Daniel,

The first thing that came to mind is, you have positioned your video camera perfectly for each tune! Well done. Did you have help? I always have to guess of whether the view is good or not.

Your Malaguena was remarkable for its tempo, varied intensity, and varied tone. Measures 41-43 went by so quickly I almost couldn't tell if you hit an extra note or not. A second listening - I think you got them all right. I did find the transition a little harsh around 0:46. For me, the tonal change from the notes alone suffice without needing to further accentuate it by playing closer to the saddle. But that's a matter of taste. I can find no fault in your playing. Remarkable skill - congratulations, and "I'll have what he's having."

Oh - a fellow Tennesseean as well - you will have to carry the CG torch for our state.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:56 am

:bravo: Carl.
In ex. 40 I think you move your hand a bit, instead of moving just the fingers. I am not sure if this is correct. I saw Mr. Delcamp moves only the fingers independently from the hand and I try to do that to, again I am not sure if this is a purpose of the ex. but it is an observation.
In regards to Malagueña you seem to know what you need to improve it. Something else you could work on is on the strumming or rasgueado at the end. It will add a nice taste of flamenco to the piece.

CarlWestman wrote: The first thing that came to mind is, you have positioned your video camera perfectly for each tune! Well done. Did you have help? I always have to guess of whether the view is good or not.
Interesting this comment, I have always struggled with my camera to try to give the video the best view of both of my hands. I can't put it in on my music stand because it doesn't work, so I have to put it on the side on a table and it doesn't take well both hands. I need to figure out a solution, this is something to think about it.

Daniel Christiansen

Post by Daniel Christiansen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Carl,

:bravo: on a very clean, well-articulated rendition of Malagueña! As you said, there were a couple of minor slip-ups, but nothing that impeded my enjoyment of the piece. In a few places, I think you could have smoothed things out a bit by playing more legato, holding notes for their full value and releasing them simultaneously with the next note played. But overall, a very good performance.

I continue to be impressed by the clarity of both audio and video on your recordings, and how well they sync up. I record using iMovie on my MacBook, with the built-in webcam and an external microphone, and I find both video quality and audio/video syncing to be lacking (although it's quite likely to be due to user error, since I'm new at this). One advantage of this setup is (as you noted) that I can see how the camera is positioned before I start to record, but I would like to solve the video quality and syncing issues somehow.

Nice to have a fellow CG enthusiast in a state where you can't throw a rock without hitting a steel string guitar player!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Mark_Steed wrote:Bea you ask what impro

Having watched Satyajit's Malaguena the YouTube screen reverts and there is Goren my old pal playing Malaguena Facil - you can find it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXTt3WLyU84#t=25

Well done to all who have managed this marathon :bravo: :bravo:
Thanks Mark, I saw Goran's video, I can't wait to learn Malagueña facil :D

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:: In regards to Malagueña you seem to know what you need to improve it. Something else you could work on is on the strumming or rasgueado at the end. It will add a nice taste of flamenco to the piece.
Beatriz, you are quite right, and it was out of exasperation with getting the piece right that I limped to the finish line and didn't cap it with all the bravado it deserved.

Thanks for your feedback - good point.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Daniel Christiansen wrote:Carl,

:bravo: on a very clean, well-articulated rendition of Malagueña! As you said, there were a couple of minor slip-ups, but nothing that impeded my enjoyment of the piece. In a few places, I think you could have smoothed things out a bit by playing more legato, holding notes for their full value and releasing them simultaneously with the next note played. But overall, a very good performance.

I continue to be impressed by the clarity of both audio and video on your recordings, and how well they sync up. I record using iMovie on my MacBook, with the built-in webcam and an external microphone, and I find both video quality and audio/video syncing to be lacking (although it's quite likely to be due to user error, since I'm new at this). One advantage of this setup is (as you noted) that I can see how the camera is positioned before I start to record, but I would like to solve the video quality and syncing issues somehow.

Nice to have a fellow CG enthusiast in a state where you can't throw a rock without hitting a steel string guitar player!
Ha ha! You are so right. To steal a line from the Blues Brothers, here in Tennessee we have both types of music - country and western! I can't imagine living in Nashville, I think it would be musically suffocating unless I were a fan of the favored genre.

Your comments are consistent with feedback I've received before - I need to find a way to play more legato. I'm not sure how to do it ... going from note to note is probably subconscious in terms of ending one note and starting the next. Is it a matter of speed? I.e., could I simply be slow in making the change? I'm just not sure how to go about getting better at legato.

Thank you regarding the clarity of my audio/video. It's actually quite an inexpensive setup - the only thing I didn't already own was the DR-05. I bought it after being very unhappy with the audio recording quality (for this purpose anyway) from my digital cameras and MP3 players. I suppose at some point I learned that not all microphones are created equal, and that just because an MP3 player or a camera can record audio digitally, it doesn't mean they do it as well as a dedicated digital recorder. As far as synchronizing, I just try to get it lined up iteratively. I do remove the audio track from the camera entirely. So it mixes in the AVI file from the camera and the WAV file from the recorder. But before loading to youtube it gets compressed down to wmv format (Windows Live Movie Maker does not give another choice). I do save the original files though, so that I'm not beholden to the wmv format and I can retain all the original quality.

I'm sure there are other ways to mix it, but once I got it "good enough" I would rather just keep practicing than pretend I'm a movie director. I'm not going to put time-lapse video of clouds rolling behind me! (cough http://youtu.be/FtoSsXaeaWk cough)

Thanks for your feedback, and I welcome your suggestions on getting better legato.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”