D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:37 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: G major scale and C major scale, numbers 2 and 3. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Finally, we'll look at nine simple tunes, pages 16 to 20
Anonyme : Scarborough fair

Anonyme : Ah vous dirai-je maman

Anonyme : La bonne aventure

Jean-François Delcamp : SI SI RE

Anonyme : Sur le pont d'Avignon

Johann Kaspar Mertz : Übungen im Wechsel – Anschlag. auf zwei Saiten

Patty & Mildred j. Hill : Good-morning to all

Dionisio Aguado : Leccion 5a

Anonyme : Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and" in English)
Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.
When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

You can memorize different tempi (tempos) by mentally associating each one with a tune you have learnt by heart. Learn a suitable tune for each tempo. Begin with Good-morning to all (the same tune as Happy Birthday) for the tempo of 120 (beats per minute).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Jean-François Delcamp : SI SI RE
Anonyme : Good-morning to all
Dionisio Aguado : Leccion 5a
Anonyme : Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a
Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Ben Spurr
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Juan Silva
Good-morning to all

Halil Akaydin
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Erik Baselier
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Scott Fountain
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

CasperVanKerschaver
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Barbara DiNenno
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Archit Junnarkar
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Bill Davis
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

David Lavallee
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Antonio Carneiro
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Theresa S. Sedlock
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Brian Hunker
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Eddy Sung
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Shelby Brown
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Paul Shepley
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a

Loo Kin Xing
SI SI RE
Good-morning to all
Leccion 5a
:( + ♫ = :)

Barbara DiNenno

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 pm

I am wondering if instead of counting the beat outloud, one could use the foot to tap the beat? It is easier for me to tap the beat rather than say it outloud.

Thanks

Barbara

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 pm

I would be afraid that tapping one's foot may cause movements of body, thus the whole posture/position optimal for playing may be unstable.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks.

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 pm

I notice that in the demo by Jean-Francois playing Lo,Nous Marchons Sur Un Etroit Chemin, he does not use the thumb to pluck the strings as the music calls for. The easy he is using his right hand seems easier than repeatedly plucking the notes with the thumb. Can it be done either way?

Barbara :merci:

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Barbara, as far as playing the tune goes you could play it any way you want, but to get used to playing with the thumb I think it's best to start now, while you are playing the simple tunes. Later on you will be using the thumb and the four fingers of the right hand for the more complex tunes, if your thumb isn't trained by then they will be difficult indeed.

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:48 pm

D01 Lesson 3, pg 19, Good Morning to All

[media]https://youtu.be/whiaqgK1a0Y[/media]

Erik Baselier

Post by Erik Baselier » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:17 am

Hi Barbara,

I believe Ben is right, the thumb is going to play an important role soon so i think it is best to play as the scores state for now.

Erik

Erik Baselier

Post by Erik Baselier » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:28 am

Hi Ben,

Well done! I think we can't see your right hand playing, maybe you could adjust the camera angle a bit. On your left hand, it may be worthwhile to hold your hand so that your fingers are perpendicular to the strings. Maybe others have a different opinion but I thought it benefits speed, reach and accuracy over time. Good job anyway.

Erik

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks, Erik. I've improved on my left hand a little bit, but I know I have a lot more work to go to erase the many years of bad habits I've acquired. I'll have to back up from the computer a little more to get my right hand to show up, I notice that what little did appear in the video got chopped off further when uploaded to youtube.

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 am

Good job Ben. Once again, you are leading the pack.

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:19 am

*EDIT- I added the remaining two assignments (SI SI RE and Leccion 5A)
Hey guys, here are my first two recording for this lesson. I must admit, these pieces are giving me a really hard time....especially "Chemim". That thumb action is giving me a whoopin'! Such a hard time that I will have to post at separate times! :oops:

D01 03 pg19 Good Morning to All
[media]https://youtu.be/3lQD67cXX_E[/media]

D01 03 pg 20 Chemin
[media]https://youtu.be/qBukIvFBBu0[/media]

D01 03 pg 17 Si Si Re
[media]https://youtu.be/nSNx980HLsQ[/media]

D01 03 pg 19 Leccion 5A
[media]https://youtu.be/kJYKDrYmPHk[/media]

Thank you guys. :chaud:
Last edited by Juan Silva on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:06 am

Ben Spurr wrote:... I notice that what little did appear in the video got chopped off further when uploaded to youtube.
Good point On the YouTube upload cropping challenge. I noticed this has been happening to my videos too. I will back mine up as well so that more of the hands can be seen. Thanks for the idea.

Also, good job on the good morning all song.

Bill

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 am

Juan, I think you did well with chamin :D. I see how this one is going to be difficult for me too. But I am encouraged because this will be a good exercise to develop the thumb coordination. :bravo: Bill

David Lavallee

Post by David Lavallee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Ben: Great job! Your left hand looks perfect! (At least,to my untrained eye..) :bravo:
I see no thumb peeking up behind the neck, which is something I struggle with quite a bit..

Juan: Excellent work! :bravo: Your posture looks perfect and I thought you did a great job on "chemin!"

I too am struggling with using my thumb on the right hand, especially when alternating with i or m on an adjacent string.

Thanks,

Dave

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”