D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
User avatar
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 7:49 pm
Location: Brest, France

D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:23 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.



First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: G major scale and C major scale, numbers 4 and 5. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings.





Finally, we'll look at six simple tunes, pages 21 to 25
Anonyme : La cucaracha
Anonyme : C'est la cloche du vieux manoir
Anonyme : Le coucou
Anonyme : Alouette, gentille alouette
Anonyme : Vent frais, vent du matin
Anonyme : Lundi matin
Anonyme : Cadet Rousselle










I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Anonyme : La cucaracha
Anonyme : Alouette, gentille alouette
Anonyme : Lundi matin
Anonyme : Cadet Rousselle


Good luck!


I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.


Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Scott Fountain
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Archit Junnarkar
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Halil Akaydin
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Bill Davis
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Ben Spurr
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Erik Baselier
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Barbara DiNenno
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

CasperVanKerschaver
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Brian Hunker
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Theresa S. Sedlock
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Eddy Sung
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Antonio Carneiro
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Shelby Brown
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Paul Shepley
La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle
:( + ♫ = :)

Juan Silva

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Juan Silva » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Good morning. Question on the first four pieces: Why is there a sharp sign at the f line of the staff, but no f notes in the piece?
Thanks,
Juan

Stefan Srećković

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Good question. I remember being puzzled about it last year. It's there to introduce you to key signatures (though there's not much of an introduction present).

Juan Silva

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Juan Silva » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Thank you Stefan. I can see that point.
-Juan

UPDATE:

I have taken a little bit of time to study "La Cucaracha" and here are my findings:

1. The sharp symbol (#) in the F line of the staff should actually be located in the F space of the staff. Maybe this was a software error OR maybe this is normal, someone senior please check my understanding of this.
2. The F notes that appear for the first time in the 5th measure should be sharp (#) according to the aid scale diagram at the top of the sheet. It is not identified as a sharp in the measure, only that finger 4 should be used, which is why I came to conclusion number 1 above.

I will proceed with #'s on all the low F notes for this piece, and I will also relocate the sharp symbol at the beginning of the staff to the F space on my copy.

-Juan
:merci:

EmmanuelVankerschaver
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi Juan,

The sharp symbol on the F-line is in the right place. It's the key signature for the key of G, an impressive expression for stating that ALL the F-notes in the score default to F#.

In the G-major scale, the notes are: G , A, B, C, D, E and F#. When composing a piece using this scale, rather than using a '#' sign in front of each individual F note on the bar, the '#' sign is moved up to the key signature.
Using a natural F in this case would require the introduction of the natural sign...

Each of the other major and minor scales have their unique combination of sharp and flat notes. As for the '#' on the top line 'F', The flats ('b') and sharps ("#') will be annotated on the top half of the staff notes (A-G) but hold for any single occurrence of that particular note at the other octaves.

Both Allouette & Cadet Rouselle are using the G-scale. Even though in Allouette there is no F-note is indicates that when e.g. playing with multiple instruments the other people would play in that same scale.

Plenty of pinky-practice in Cadet Rousselle though: all the F-notes on the D-string should be played as F# (thus: pinkie on fret 4)

Hope this helps ...
Emmanuel

Scott Fountain

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Scott Fountain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

Here is my weekly posting for Lesson 4. Let me know what you think!!

Thanks,

Scott

Aloutette, Gentille Alouette
http://youtu.be/mDb6E_GoGFQ

Cadet Rousselle
http://youtu.be/zjK2BLLuLzk

La Cucaracha
http://youtu.be/0LUc5pd6pXA

Lundi Matin
http://youtu.be/7N1DOmGU8EQ

Pg 54 Exercise 4
http://youtu.be/4tB6pDEXkjk

Pg 54 Exercise 5
http://youtu.be/nQjQpRuj4VY

User avatar
Bill Davis
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Nevada, USA

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Bill Davis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 am

Scott Fountain wrote:Hello Everyone,

Here is my weekly posting for Lesson 4. Let me know what you think!!

Thanks,

Scott
:bravo: you are really trucking alone fast and you added the exercises!

Sounded very good Scott.

What type of guitar make and model are you using?

Thanks
Bill

Juan Silva

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Juan Silva » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:12 pm

EmmanuelVankerschaver wrote:Hi Juan,

The sharp symbol on the F-line is in the right place. It's the key signature for the key of G, an impressive expression for stating that ALL the F-notes in the score default to F#.

In the G-major scale, the notes are: G , A, B, C, D, E and F#. When composing a piece using this scale, rather than using a '#' sign in front of each individual F note on the bar, the '#' sign is moved up to the key signature.
Using a natural F in this case would require the introduction of the natural sign...

Each of the other major and minor scales have their unique combination of sharp and flat notes. As for the '#' on the top line 'F', The flats ('b') and sharps ("#') will be annotated on the top half of the staff notes (A-G) but hold for any single occurrence of that particular note at the other octaves.

Both Allouette & Cadet Rouselle are using the G-scale. Even though in Allouette there is no F-note is indicates that when e.g. playing with multiple instruments the other people would play in that same scale.

Plenty of pinky-practice in Cadet Rousselle though: all the F-notes on the D-string should be played as F# (thus: pinkie on fret 4)

Hope this helps ...
Emmanuel
This really helps. Thank you for taking the time to explain. Clearly, I have some theory to catch up on! Especially keys.

It makes some sense now that you have explained compositions in a scale that contain sharps (even though those sharp notes may not be included in that piece) ....and where the sharp signs are located on the staff according to the musical key.

Again, many thanks. For this lesson I am clear, I'm sure I'll have questions as the lessons continue.

-Juan
:merci:

Scott Fountain

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Scott Fountain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the compliment. I am using a Cordoba 3M. It's not the best guitar but it's serving my purpose for now.

gregwillow
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:34 pm
Location: Elmwood Park /Chicago IL

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by gregwillow » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 am

Good job :D

Stefan Srećković

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey Scott!

Splendid work generally speaking. You've nailed all the melodies, I hear no buzzes, everything seems fine. Single remark though: use a metronome, your tempo seems to be varying at times. Additionally, you seem to be 'galloping' on Alouette Gentille Alouette :D

That's it. Keep it up! Have you had some previous experience with guitar playing?

Scott Fountain

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Scott Fountain » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:43 am

Stefan Srećković wrote:Hey Scott!

Splendid work generally speaking. You've nailed all the melodies, I hear no buzzes, everything seems fine. Single remark though: use a metronome, your tempo seems to be varying at times. Additionally, you seem to be 'galloping' on Alouette Gentille Alouette :D

That's it. Keep it up! Have you had some previous experience with guitar playing?

Hi Stefan,

I taught myself the electric guitar, but this is a different animal all together. The classical guitar is easier on the fingers, but everything else is much more difficult

Stefan Srećković

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Stefan Srećković » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:12 am

Yeah. You're in for a ride!

Scott Fountain

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Scott Fountain » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:00 am

Stefan Srećković wrote:Yeah. You're in for a ride!

:( :( I'm in trouble now, LOL!!!

Laertes

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Laertes » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Scott Fountain wrote: The classical guitar is easier on the fingers, but everything else is much more difficult
I wouldn't say it is easier on the fingers, just different. The tension is lower yes, but the neck is wider and thicker, the strings are farther apart and the action is quite higher.

On the other hand the electric has steel strings with more tension, and if you don't damp properly every little noise can get very loud through the amp but the action is lower and the neck narrower and thinner.

In my opinion some things are easier on the classical and others are easier in the electric.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”