D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Erik Baselier

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Erik Baselier » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi Archit,

Sounds good, the background noise does not bother me so much as your guitar sounds loud and clear enough. Well played, I thought, you looked as if you played without much effort, wel done. A comment made which was also made earlier is about he arched fingers. I am not sure what the intention is but I find it requires less effort to play with arched fingers, although the positioning is more critical. I imagine that when playing fast the arched fingers become hammers and require hardly any effort to ensure the strings don't buzz. More experienced players than me would have more relevant things to say I think.

Erik

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks, Erik. I had a little difficulty playing it without missing a couple of notes here and there, I guess the tempo suffered as a result.

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:27 am

Here are my submissions for lesson 4: thanks for listening. Merry Christmas!
[media]https://youtu.be/BTEx3tgn5GY[/media]

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:31 am

Eric, Bill,Ben,and Archit,

you all are sounding very good to me……
well done.

barbara

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:41 am

Erik Baselier wrote:Hi All, here my submissions for Lesson 4

All comments welcome of course.
Erik

Eric,

Nice job, your posture is good, finger looks great. :bravo:

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:56 am

Barbara DiNenno wrote:Here are my submissions for lesson 4: thanks for listening. Merry Christmas!
[media]https://youtu.be/BTEx3tgn5GY[/media]

Hi Barb,

Sounded good, fingering good as well. The only thing I noticed was that in Allouette and the last song (I think it was Mati Lundi) you play staccatos in a few parts. Other than that, great job!! :bravo:

Merry Christmas!!

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:03 am

Brian Hunker wrote: Bill, one thing I noticed in your Alouette video. Measures 7 and 8 are all D notes (3 high D's and 3 low D's). I believe you read this as low D to open B string, which is common because the D and B lines are right next to each other on the staff. Other than that your performance was excellent. I only point out this minor mistake because octave jumps like this D-to-D exchange are REALLY common in music and you can benefit greatly if you learn to recognize octave jumps by-ear in this song. So it's kind of worth a second look in that regard.
:cafe:
Brian,
You are spot on! I can't believe I didn't catch that. It doesn't even sound right. lol. Great catch and thank you for letting me know. I re-recorded and edited my post so the updated one is there.

Again, thank you for taking the time to really listening and catch that mistake :bravo: .

Bill

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:28 am

Erik Baselier wrote:Hi Bill,

Sound very good and looks very easy, you clearly know what you are doing. What happens in la cucaracha in the 10th bar? I listened to it a number of times but could not figure it out, I have the impression you play another note than in the sheet music.

And In Alouette I think you play in bar 7 and 8 D's in stead of B's.

I also found a mistake in my own recording from your recording of Cadet Rouselle, I failed to repeat the first 5 bars, so thank you for your recording.

All the best,
Erik
Hi Erik,

Thank you for listening to my recordings. Funny thing is, Brian noticed the same problem with Alouette as you did. Please see my response to Brian. Thanks!

As for La Cucaracha, I did the same thing as I did in Alouette. After listening I noticed I hit the open G again rather than the open B then D. Great catch! :bravo: I re-recorded La Cucaracha and updated my post.

Again, thank you for taking the time to listen and provide feedback.

:merci:
Bill

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:38 am

Barbara DiNenno wrote:Here are my submissions for lesson 4: thanks for listening. Merry Christmas!
Hi Barabara,

You are making good progress. Cudos to you for doing it with a band-aide on your finger! :mrgreen:

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:48 am

Erik Baselier wrote:Hi All, here my submissions for Lesson 4

All comments welcome of course.
Erik
Hi Erik,

Your picking hand looks natural. I wish had a little longer fingers to help with the longer stretches. You were right about missing the repeat in Rousselle. The first 5 bars should be repeated then the rest of it played through. However, your recording played all the way through an then finished with the first 5 bars.

Other than that, nice job. :bravo:

Thanks,
Bill
Last edited by Bill Davis on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 am

Ben Spurr wrote:D01 lesson 4, pg 24, Anonyme Lundi
Hi Ben,

You're coming along well :bravo: . I noticed at the end of Lundi Matin you pushed through the 1/4 notes in the second to last bar at the same speed as your 1/8 notes before them. I really struggle with keeping tempo so I try to practice with a metronome and then get the tempo in my head so I can count it without the metronome. I know there are some varying opinions on keeping tempo. This is what I do.

:merci:
Bill

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 am

OMG ! this thread has suddenly flooded with submissions and discussions ! ! Nice to see that.

Ben !
You played very well. Your timing and tempo was very good in Anonyme Alouette, Gentille Alouette. In Lundi Matin, your tempo varied but your notes were spot on. :bravo:

Erik !
Your videos were fabulous. You seem so relaxed when you play, no wonder you produce that kind of music from your guitar and your posture is also so good. Everything seemed right to me in all your pieces, you surely have worked hard on them. Good Work ! ! :)
And, thank you for your feedback.

Barbara !

Wow ! Nice way to sum up everything in one video :) You have progressed a lot. From your previous lessons to this, you surely have made a remarkable improvement. I could see your fingers had quick movements and i-m-p switching was also very smooth. In some measures, I could see there were some hiccups but with more and more practice you can easily eliminate all that. All in all nice work, you have worked hard, practice harder ! ! :bravo: And thanks for your feedback !

Brian !

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it. And, well I am not using a laptop to record videos, but a camera. I have got a lot of suggestions from everyone here and I will try to work on them to eliminate that sound ! :)

Erik & Bill !

Regarding the arched fingers that I haven't used in some pieces, it is because I needed to damp the lower string as per the music sheet. It does look awkward, at times, placing the finger like a bar but then that is possibly the only way to damp the string taking least amount of time. In the music sheet, Mr JFD has emphasized a lot on damping and I really like damping :mrgreen: . I feel I have now started damping even those notes that are not required :shock: and this is not good. I have to be careful.

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello, All.

I am starting Lesson 04 this week (working to catch up after joining in late). I was just watching Prof Delcamp's example videos for lesson 4 and I noticed something in his right hand movement that I think is worth calling attention to:

If you haven't already, look very carefully at the way Delcamp moves his (left?) striking hand from left to right as he moves up and down the first 2 scale exercises. When he starts his fingers are right over the sound hole. Then as he moves to the notes on the low E string his hand moves closer to the bridge. Then back over the sound hole as the phrase returns.

I don't know whether this is just a matter of maintaining good posture, but I suspect is also stylistic. As the right hand slides away from the sound hole you get less projected sound, which makes sense given the dynamic markings ( > < ) in the score. I suspect a lot of the fluidity you hear in Delcamp's playing of this exercise has to do with this kind of fluid left-to-right motion of his striking hand...

Also, does anybody happen to know if Prof Delcamp is actually left-handed or is this another one of those mirror-image-camera situations? :cafe:

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Hello, :bye:
I completed my task for this month.. thank you for watching and leaving your comments. :merci:
I would like to wish you all Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :bye:
See you all next year. :bye:
[media]https://youtu.be/pnCEUX0XYgI[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/nRtJarg_Qj0[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/iIbViy5eSR0[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/RZWi3jBFpvM[/media]

:bye:

Erik Baselier

Post by Erik Baselier » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Brian, I believe prof Delcamp is actually left handed. I think I have read that in the forums somewhere.

Erik

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”