D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 75 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
numbers 9, 10 and 12. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Next we'll work on two pieces by Carulli:
- pages 22-23 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE consists of three sections of eight bars each, the third section being identical to the first. Thus it has an A-B-A structure, also called ternary form.

- page 50 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) VALSE en la majeur
There are numerous repetitions, so vary the tone colour to avoid monotony. To obtain different tone colours, play:
- over the soundhole (the sound volume is at its best here and you get a good balance between the bass and treble notes);
- over the fingerboard (the sound here is softer, closer to the that of a clarinet, and the basses are softened);
- near the bridge (the sound here is more metallic, and becomes close to that of the harpsichord, the basses are strengthened and the trebles weakened).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 75 number 10 Scale of E minor with crescendo and decrescendo
- pages 22-23 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
- page 50 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) VALSE en la majeur

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Scale of E minor with crescendo and decrescendo
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Stefan Srećković
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

WilliamTee
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Halil Akaydin
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Beatriz Martin
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

CarlWestman
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Satyajit Kadle
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Laura Staats
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Haris Karachristianidis
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur
:( + ♫ = :)

CarlWestman

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:40 pm

OK, it's time for my obligatory inquiry regarding fingering.

My question concerns Carulli's Valse (en la majeur Méthode complette pour guitare, Opéra 27). The transition from measure 3 to measure 4 is tricky to me - you go from G# to A using the same finger? It seems I either get a slide (if I keep the finger down) or too long of a delay if I lift it, move it, then put it down again. Could you just use 1 for G#, then 2 for A, and 3 for C#, and then use the last note in measure 4 (E) to give you time to move 1 and 2 into back on to A and C# for measures 5 and 6?

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Well you are meant to slide I guess, but in order not to make the sound, slightly loosen the tension in your LH knuckles.

I mean sure you could do it the other way around, but it's really so much easier to just slide your index finger over.

Like this!

[media]https://youtu.be/mJ_qTy9S0pA[/media]

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Well, look who is getting all cute with his video production! Very clever.

I meant to include in my note, I thought using the i finger twice in succession (same part of the piece, as well!) makes the transition from measure 3 to 4 doubly odd.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:21 am

Lesson 04 is such a walk in the park compared to the previous two!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:01 pm

yes, cute video Stefan!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:26 pm

How do you play variations in Arpeggi? ...Where does B, C, D, E fit inside the score? Thanks,

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Having looked at the last year's lesson 4, we're meant to do A only.

edit: I present this tip on Carulli's Arpeggi di tre note

[media]https://youtu.be/4et_krRMQmw[/media]

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 am

My understanding is that from exam qualifying submission point of view posting variation A only is sufficient. But there is nothing to prevent you from practicing the other variations as well. There is quite a bit of discussion on how the other variations should be played in the last year's thread viewtopic.php?f=118&t=73214

Regarding the chord transitions, in D04 we were taught to practice left hand transitions as whole chords, which will make playing all the variations equally difficult from left hand point of view. But same as Stefan, I personally would take advantage of all notes not needed to be prepared at the exact same time to make the transitions smoother. Professor Delcamp seems to be doing the same thing in his variation 'A'.

However I must point out, Stefan, that you played a wrong chord in bar 5. The top note is supposed to be 'g', not 'a', which makes it an A (major) 7 without the 5th. I also suggest to follow Delcamp fingering here. The notes in bars 5 and 6 are boxed, which means that they should be a bit difficult, and you're supposed to practice those transitions until you get them smooth. Although I do realize that using a barre would have been the only way, had that top note really been an 'a', as the stretch with '2' on the 2nd fret, and '4' on the 5th fret would be impossible for most people :D My point still remains that part of the pedagogical value of this study is practice fast and accurate chord changes, which is probably harder for those who didn't play acoustic / electric guitar before starting their classical studies.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I've got it all wrong. I don't know how I could've misread G into that A. OK well, that was embarrassing :kap:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Stefan Srećković wrote:I've got it all wrong.
I don't see it that way. :desole: It was an important lesson you taught. Getting fingers into place one by one could be used in all the variations except for the last one where the block chords are used. Besides, I enjoyed your video very much! You're clearly a good performer who doesn't shy away from the camera. :bye:

edit: Regarding the misread notes, don't worry about it. It happens to everyone. It's a good idea to double check when the supplied fingering doesn't seem to make sense.
Last edited by Marko Räsänen on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:44 pm

What you don't see is 45 minutes of trying to calm down and about two White Russians.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Those will do the trick! :lol:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm

:bravo: Stefane, you make two very naice and clever video lessions. :merci:

We have also discussing about Carulli two years ago (when I was on D02-D03) and here are my subscriptions on:

Var. A

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=64303#p705413

Var. B,C,D

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=64303&start=30#p710282

Maybe this can help someone.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:13 pm

:bye: Buenos dias Stefan, thanks for the video, even though it wasn't high A but G, I was trying to do it with high A to see how it felt like, it was hard to stretch the pinky to reach the high :lol:

The boxes were exactly the chords I find difficult to do a transition. What I do is going from bar 4 to 5 over and over and over. After going over and over and over, my fingers get frozen, so I loosen up my fingers, shake them. Then I go from bard 5 to 6 over and over, same process. Again with 13 to 14 same process. Is that what others do?

Interesting going from bars 4 to 5, I don't do a barre, anybody does a barre here?...I do like on the score, index for A, middle for C# and pinky for G. I was leaving my ring finger up on the air, until I saw Goran's video that looks as if his ring finger was resting the first string. Maybe I am wrong, maybe his ring finger doesn't rest on the first string. Anyways I tried this too. What's your experience, where do you keep the ring finger?

Oh, I almost forgot, Goran thank you for the variations, you worked very hard, they sound really nice, I still don't understand where do you insert B, C, D. I don't need to know now because I am going to concentrate on learning only variation A, but if I have more time I will try playing the others.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”