D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stefan Srećković

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Bea it's good to know that I haven't caused any further confusion. I think my mind instinctively went for A because that particular chord is seen in handful of pieces in Sagreras book 1.
Beatriz Martin wrote: The boxes were exactly the chords I find difficult to do a transition. What I do is going from bar 4 to 5 over and over and over. After going over and over and over, my fingers get frozen, so I loosen up my fingers, shake them. Then I go from bard 5 to 6 over and over, same process. Again with 13 to 14 same process. Is that what others do?
I don't necessarily do that, but sometimes my fingers get too icky sticky so I have to wash them and get back to practicing.
Bea wrote: Interesting going from bars 4 to 5, I don't do a barre, anybody does a barre here?...I do like on the score, index for A, middle for C# and pinky for G. I was leaving my ring finger up on the air, until I saw Goran's video that looks as if his ring finger was resting the first string. Maybe I am wrong, maybe his ring finger doesn't rest on the first string. Anyways I tried this too. What's your experience, where do you keep the ring finger?
Personally, I do a mini barre here. Score doesn't call for it, but I find it more appropriate.
Bea wrote: Oh, I almost forgot, Goran thank you for the variations, you worked very hard, they sound really nice, I still don't understand where do you insert B, C, D. I don't need to know now because I am going to concentrate on learning only variation A, but if I have more time I will try playing the others.
Think of B, C, D, and E as pattern templates. All of the patterns have only represented the first bar of the piece. Following that pattern you'd do the entire piece!

David Lavallee

Post by David Lavallee » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm a D01 student, just peeking ahead.. but when I saw Stefan's first lesson with the thumbs up and down, I about fell out of my chair laughing! Thanks Stefan!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Stefan Srećković wrote: Think of B, C, D, and E as pattern templates. All of the patterns have only represented the first bar of the piece. Following that pattern you'd do the entire piece!
ah, the first bar, good, I get it now, thanks.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:31 am

You're welcome, both David and Bea :)

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Marko you're a bit more into theory and scales as I see it. Would you kindly explain why the notes in the descending run of the E minor scale don't match those of the ascending run?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Stefan, it's something called melodic minor scale (as opposed to natural and harmonic minor scales). There's some information in wikipedia, but I haven't found a satisfiable answer to why it is that way, except that it sounds better than harmonic and natural scales. Why do we practice melodic minor scales is another question, and I believe we have Segovia to thank for that, as they're the ones that appear in his 'book' Diatonic major and minor scales.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:03 am

Good question, Stefan. I noticed that as well and wondered, but did notice that it sounded nice, so I didn't question it further (for now).

I have a question as well - on Valse, what fingers are you using to sound the 1st string E notes in the middle part? I've settled into using a, then m - each measure. Any reason to do otherwise?

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:54 am

Not sure to be frank. I think it comes down to preference. Mine is M-I.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Here goes.
VALSE en la majeur.mp3
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE.mp3
Gamme de Mi mineur.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 am

No video Stefan?
Amazing on Valse, this is the best I've heard so far among all the submissions. I can feel the enjoyment of you playing it. Good job man!

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:55 am

As always, all comments are welcome.

Mi Mineur
[media]https://youtu.be/xLlsb-WCPNY[/media]

Valse
[media]https://youtu.be/_iFyTschveI[/media]

Arpeggi Di Tre Note
[media]https://youtu.be/mZDBXXszWR8[/media]

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 am

Wow, :bravo: Stefan and William. I wish I would play the pieces as nice as you have done. I'll take Stefan's Valse and William's arpeggi, that's it, great combination!William, I enjoyed seeing you playing the arpeggi and moving your head, you looked like enjoying so much.
I am not near to post yet. I am going very slowly, I had trouble changing chords in arpeggi and moving my right hand up and down to give some color in Valse. Even playing the scales I am lacking the fluency that you both have shown.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:38 am

Take your time Bea. It has only been six days into this lesson so far!

Thanks for the comments. No videos this time William, figured that recording audio only is going to help feeling more relaxed. Knowing that there's no camera staring at me definitely helped.

Good job William. Having heard your arpeggi I think I need to polish mine a bit. Also, are you satisfied with your tone? I constantly struggle in achieving a decent tone. Think it's starting to become more of an obsession.

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks all, for your comments.
Also, are you satisfied with your tone?
Not really. I'm now still focusing to get the correct techniques. However for some exercises that I like, and if I have time, I try to observe the way I play it to get the nice tones. One thing I know that what I hear during practicing is different than what I hear in the video. I tend to listen slightly above the soundhole which is the nicest but again, it sounds different when you listen on the video. It is quite interesting.

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Stefan and William, excellent submissions. Now it's time to celebrate a little for a job well done. Stefan, you really nailed these, very musical playing!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”