D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stefan Srećković

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Spasiba Halil :D How's your practice coming along?

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:48 am

Stefan Srećković wrote:Thanks for the comments. No videos this time William, figured that recording audio only is going to help feeling more relaxed. Knowing that there's no camera staring at me definitely helped.
One thing I like about the audio only is that it is easier to spot mistakes and when you play really well it sounds brilliant which is how Stefan's playing sounded.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:
Stefan Srećković wrote:Thanks for the comments. No videos this time William, figured that recording audio only is going to help feeling more relaxed. Knowing that there's no camera staring at me definitely helped.
One thing I like about the audio only is that it is easier to spot mistakes and when you play really well it sounds brilliant which is how Stefan's playing sounded.
I agree with Bea ... it was a notably different experience just listening to Stefan's MP3 files rather than listening and watching. I really focused on the music much more, and could better notice his tonal and tempo variations. I would be interested to know from a moderator how much audio-only is discouraged, because I would greatly prefer it as well. I would not have to sync it with my video; file size is much smaller; I can leave my recorder running much longer without running into file size issues, plus the relaxation aspect is better too. While I have on rare occasion received constructive feedback based on video (thanks Beatriz!), to me, not much would be lost audio-only, and even then, if I was having issues (such as with tone or muting or whatever), a brief series of questions might nearly as quickly pinpoint the culprit.

Just a thought.

CarlW

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Video is by no means mandatory. It's there to address posture issues, odd fingerings, and problematic passages that one might have due to the lack of LH/RH technique development.

Do as you please I say :D

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:34 pm

To detect unnecessary tension as well.

Video is also useful when something doesn't sound quite right, but you're not sure exactly what it is, but I guess that is what Stefan meant by 'odd fingerings' :D

Overall, I find myself less likely to comment on audio only recordings than video ones, because I have less confidence in knowing what actually happened during the recording.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Stefan, my practicing is going pretty well. Thanks for asking. I'm a little busy these days but I make time
for these lessons and some Carcassi. I'm really glad I joined these online lessons and I particularly like that
we are building a foundation in damping notes. It's something I previously never worked on and I'm hoping it
will pay off down the road.

We have a good little group here. I'm looking forward to making progress together and playing some of the meatier
pieces in the higher levels. It's exciting!

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:50 pm

I always prefer videos particularly (I would even say mandatory) while studying the guitar.
The point of school is that someone point out your mistakes or to help others with your videos.
Audio records are to enjoy music, meditation, relaxing with eyes closed :casque: . If you hear an error on audio recordings difficult to be able to conclude what is the cause and give someone advice on how to correct.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:21 pm

My lesson 4 submissions. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:49 pm

:bravo: Halil. Great job!
I like how you did crescendo and decrescendo with the scale.

Wow, this group is getting better each day, I feel I am in competition. I better record something nice, or I'll be out :lol:

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:17 am

Give it your best, Beatriz. All will be well. :)

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Well done Halil. I think I can hear some hesitation every now and then, though I imagine that's the lack of polishing up :bye:

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:29 pm

You're right, Stefan. I need to keep at these through the end of the month!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:17 am

A question that is bothering me.
It seems to me that the first note on each bar on the arpeggi seems to be longer than the rest of the notes. Or is it that this first note is accentuated more? I give each note the same duration and my arpeggi doesn't sound at the beginning of each bar like Mr. Delcamp.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:09 am

It's the same duration. Mr. JFD is just using rubato to give it some emotion.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I beg to differ, Stefan. While I agree with you that he does use rubato throughout the piece, it seems clear to me that the bass note that begins each measure is lasting at least for the next two notes, and probably the next 5, before returning to the same bass note again. As best I can tell from the video, he is not muting them. They clearly continue to ring out, and it's consistent. Much of Sagreras' arpeggios in his book 1 are written this way. There is rubato in the piece, yes, but I don't think the duration of the bass notes (in most cases, as he plays) is an example of it. Just starting with the first measure.

just my opinion.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”