D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Brian Hunker

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Brian Hunker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 pm

OK. I have completed all my videos for Lesson 5 after practicing the material for 10 days.

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate these videos and I thank you for any feedback you are willing to offer.

[media]https://youtu.be/B8JNQlza-us[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/MVPUJnO7Ufc[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/PfDycF72vds[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/ZvdCv4___5g[/media]

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Brian Hunker wrote:Hi Everyone. Happy New Year.

BIll :
You are sounding great on these videos. Especially on Leccion 1 your timing and phrasing was excellent. I am going through a similar difficulty as far as not moving my wrist when I play notes with my thumb. It's tough, but I think that is precisely what the Polyphonie exercises are designed to work out. I feel many times more confident in my thumb rest stoke after having completed lesson 5.

The only other thing that I would suggest is that you maybe try to relax your a and c (pinky) fingers when you are not using them. From the videos it seems you have a tendency to pull them in close to your palm when alternating i and m. I don't know if it's that important, but I read that it is good to eliminate any muscle flexion in all RH fingers when are not being used.
Hi Brain, Thank you. You were right, these lessons were challenging. The amount of time I put into them was quite a bit. Especially with all the repeats. I too kept goofing up the notes on the repeat. I would almost get to the end of the piece and get anxious that I might actually complete it with no major errors and then I would mess up a note. lol. Very frustrating, but as you said, pay the price now or pay the price later. :shock: Also because the pieces are longer it takes more time to keep trying until you do it right.

I think you are right about my a and c finger not being relaxed. I did notice that and thought about working on relaxing. I think I go to that position to keep them out of the way but it will hurt me down the road because they would cause muscle flexion and also they are not in the ready position to be used.

Again, thank you for your feedback. :merci: Bill

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Brian Hunker wrote:OK. I have completed all my videos for Lesson 5 after practicing the material for 10 days.

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate these videos and I thank you for any feedback you are willing to offer.
Hi Brian,

Sounds very good! :bravo: I noticed on leccion I you also went up the neck with your picking hand, which provided a more authentic sound. :bravo: However, I did notice you added an extra note on the repeat after bar 12? Was that artistic or did I miss something? Either way, sounded very good. Bill

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:00 pm

BIll :
You are sounding great on these videos. Especially on Leccion 1 your timing and phrasing was excellent. I am going through a similar difficulty as far as not moving my wrist when I play notes with my thumb. It's tough, but I think that is precisely what the Polyphonie exercises are designed to work out. I feel many times more confident in my thumb rest stoke after having completed lesson 5.

The only other thing that I would suggest is that you maybe try to relax your a and c (pinky) fingers when you are not using them. From the videos it seems you have a tendency to pull them in close to your palm when alternating i and m. I don't know if it's that important, but I read that it is good to eliminate any muscle flexion in all RH fingers when are not being used.

Scott:
Very nice work here! Congratulations on completing (what I found to be) a very difficult lesson 5. This is a somewhat subjective tip, but you might want to try moving the default position of your RH a bit closer to the sound hole. Currently you tend to set up your RH very close to the bridge and the sound is a bit twangy. If you like it that way, that's cool. Lately I have found several sources who recommended that the default RH position be just over the edge of the sound hole towards the bridge.
Also, what happened to the repeats on "Leccion 1"? I know that the repeats in this piece made me have to spend 2 extra days practicing this piece (cause I kept flubbing notes when I tried to make my video)! But I think observing all the repeat signs, and sticking with it until you are confident enough to repeat each passage on video, is good preparation for when we will encounter longer pieces of music. For me the repeat signs revealed a significant weakness that I realized I could either address right now... or suffer with later. :shock:

Thanks for the tip Brian, well noted. :merci:

Bill, the reason why I didn't move my wrists is because I tore both my bicep tendons and lost a lot of mobility with my wrists. So, I guess I finally found something positive that my injuries served me well, I'll have to tell my orthopedic surgeon that one, LOL

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Please listen to my submissions. I am eager to hear any feedback. thanks
barbara
[media]https://youtu.be/CMG-zHaJpAU[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/dYuEl1q1d2k[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/esuJi9gQMfA[/media]

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Dear Brian,

Your videos are excellent. You look like Jean-Francois on Leccion I. very nice

Barbara

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Dear Bill,

You sound very good. Your video quality is very nice too. What do you use to record? I am having a hard time with setting up my iPad so the video picks up both hands.

thanks

barbara

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Dear Scott,

You are sounding good. On Leccion I, I did not see your thumb dampen any of the bass notes. I may have missed it but … and your timing was not consistent throughout.

Barbara

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:13 am

Barbara DiNenno wrote:Dear Bill,

You sound very good. Your video quality is very nice too. What do you use to record? I am having a hard time with setting up my iPad so the video picks up both hands.

thanks

barbara
Thank you. I just use my iPad camera app. I put it on a sturdy tv stand and prop a block behind it with enough weight to support the iPad at an angle. The block sits on the iPad case to hold it in place while I pick the best angle for the iPad to record. To post I used to use YouTube capture app. But I broke down and bought apples iMovie. I pick 540p quality to post. It is a little challenging to get a good angle and all but it's portable and super easy to record and post. I hope that helps!
Thanks, Bill

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:27 am

Barbara DiNenno wrote:Please listen to my submissions. I am eager to hear any feedback. thanks
barbara
Hi Barbara,
You are making good progress. :bravo: I had many difficulties on these lessons. This was a more rigorous lesson for me because of the thumb exercises and the repeats. I think it may help you if you can play the lessons mainly from memory while using the sheet music as a reference while playing. :merci: Bill

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Bill Davis wrote:
Hi Brian,

Sounds very good! :bravo: I noticed on leccion I you also went up the neck with your picking hand, which provided a more authentic sound. :bravo: However, I did notice you added an extra note on the repeat after bar 12? Was that artistic or did I miss something? Either way, sounded very good. Bill

Bill,

That little extra thing is just something I added. It's a little string trick called a "12th fret Harmonic". I saw Stefan do something similar in one of his D02 videos. I was just messing around with it in practice, but is sounded good so I figured I'd put it in here. If I felt confident enough to wink at the camera while playing that note, I would have. 8)

Partly it is just showing off :roll: . But it's also part of a certain strategy I have found to deal with the nervousness you mentioned earlier: the anxiousness you feel when you are trying to make a recording without any major errors. When I was in school, I thought Calculus was the most difficult class anyone could ever take. Until the next year when I had to take Calculus 2!!! Compared to Calc2, Calc1 seemed like a walk in the park. The truth is ease and difficulty are really just a matter of perception.

I thought "Leccion 1" was much more difficult than any piece we have studied in this course. So I started consciously obsessing over every finger stroke... Until I kind of forecd myself to add another layer on top (in this case the little harmonic effect). Then my brain could obsess over the new layer and let all the finger strokes fall out of my attention where simple muscle memory could do a better job than my anxious, obsessive conscious thinking.

I don't know how universal that particular learning process is. So take from that what you will. But I think the idea that you sometimes have to trick your brain in order to develop new skills is worth considering. I know I find myself having to do it all the time. :chitarrista:

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi Barbara.

Thank you for your nice comment on my videos.

You also did a very fine job with all your videos. I second Bill's advice to try and memorize a piece like "Leccion 1". From your videos it certainly seems like you have just about memorized "Leccion 1", albeit in 2-bar chunks. It is uncomfortable, but try to force yourself to connect the phrases WITHOUT referring back to the page. If you make a mistake, so what? Try again to find the right note using your memory and ears as a guide. When you make the connections on your own (without looking at the page) you are far more likely to remember it the next time you play.

Your posture and everything looks really good so I believe you will sort all this out just fine on your own. On the first day that I tried to make my "Leccion 1" video I had very similar difficulties putting the pieces together. I tried to record the piece maybe 10 times. After crashing every time, I just realized I wasn't ready. It took me 2 additional practice days (1 hour each day) to smooth out the bumps, and I am really glad that I gave myself that extra time. I say this to you because you look like you know what you are doing and sometimes a dramatically more satisfying result is just around the corner. You only have to give yourself a bit more time to find it.

But don't sweat it too much. Overall these videos show you are making great progress and you should feel extremely proud of that! :bravo:

Best of luck in Lesson 6!

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:03 am

Dear Brian,
Thank you very much. I appreciate the encouragement. I find it very difficult to memorize music. I really don't try, it is so hard. But I shall try again. Do you have any suggestions for how you memorize a piece?

Barbara :merci:

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:10 am

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your feedback. I have not tried to memorize any pieces. I shall try and see if it helps me.

Barbara

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Scott:
Very nice work here! Congratulations on completing (what I found to be) a very difficult lesson 5. This is a somewhat subjective tip, but you might want to try moving the default position of your RH a bit closer to the soun, sd hole. Currently you tend to set up your RH very close to the bridge and the sound is a bit twangy. If you like it that way, that's cool. Lately I have found several sources who recommended that the default RH position be just over the edge of the sound hole towards the bridge.

Hi Brian,

I am taking your advice and have been working on changing my default RH. The issue I am having now is I keep hitting the wrong strings. I guess it's a little tough to get used to and the guitar resonates more so I have to really concentrate on damping

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”