D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
WilliamTee

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by WilliamTee » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:31 am

:bravo: Brian. You looked comfortable on the video. I especially love to listen to Leccion 1. Nice job. :chitarrista:

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:12 pm

Lesson 5, pg 28, #1, Simple Alternation

[media]https://youtu.be/4Ifcky4EX_A&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Here are my submissions ! Please feel free to post your views :)

[media]https://youtu.be/Pbj5fVNewuc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGTocXSYZOHz0qPtXZ8pyEQ[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/onArSvS1uJI[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/PZY-2A4At08&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGTocXSYZOHz0qPtXZ8pyEQ[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/o86DST7HiE0&feature=youtu.be[/media]

I have added this one because I just loved it ! :casque:
[media]https://youtu.be/DWZTJorxCdk&list=UUGTocXSYZOHz0qPtXZ8pyEQ[/media]

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 am

Bill

You were very good and loved the sound of your guitar. Leccion 1 was was excellent. I have to admit that I have faced many difficulties playing this piece. I can't tell you how many retakes I took while recording to get this one right. I felt you were pretty relaxed and that's where the confidence came from. :bravo:

Scott

Your pieces were good. Although repeats were missing in a few, you still played with the rhythm pretty well. To me, the difficult part has been the repeat section in each of these pieces. I noticed that I could breeze through playing them once but struggled big time on the repeat sections. If you have time, do practice these pieces with the repeats. It will make a big difference in your playing skills. It really helped me a lot because I realized that my comfort level was limited to about 25-30 seconds and beyond that I couldn't survive without hitting some wrong note. But practicing these pieces, Leccion 1 in particular :bye: , made me work more on my patience and concentration than the piece itself. Anyways, keep practicing ! ! :bye:

Brian

Just one word for you 'Perfect' :applauso:

Barbara

Your progress has been very good. You played your pieces very well. I could see you were pretty confident on simple alternation pieces and that is good to see. :bravo:
:merci:
Ben

Well played. Eager to see the rest of your pieces.

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks, Archit. I was out of town for almost a week and couldn't practice. I'm still having problems with leccion 1, unable to consistently get my fingers on the correct strings. Added to that is I have a visitor in my home, making it a challenge to record without interruption, but I'm getting there. I'm hoping I can get it all posted before the next lesson comes out. Your videos were good, didn't notice anything wrong with them.

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:20 pm

D01 Lesson 5, pg 28, #2, Simple Alternation.

[media]https://youtu.be/DsL4gK84LtQ[/media]

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:19 pm

D01 Lesson 5, pg 26, #2, Polyphony

[media]https://youtu.be/099O996p1nc[/media]

Theresa S. Sedlock

Post by Theresa S. Sedlock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Bill Davis - you've already been told your whole hand moves instead of just your thumb, so i won't mention it :)

Scott Fountain - good job on counting aloud, your timing seemed spot on

Brian Hunker - impressive on the simple Alternation #2

Barbara - sounding good

Ben Spurr - couldn't find anything to critisize

Archit Junnarkar - your guitar sounds really good (now if you could just get rid of that hummm)

:discussion:

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:07 am

Archit Junnarkar wrote:Here are my submissions ! Please feel free to post your views :)
Hi Archit,
Sounds great :bravo:

You seem relaxed which is helpful.
Bill

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Barbara DiNenno wrote:Dear Brian,
Thank you very much. I appreciate the encouragement. I find it very difficult to memorize music. I really don't try, it is so hard. But I shall try again. Do you have any suggestions for how you memorize a piece?

Barbara :merci:

Barbara,

Here's a few things that have helped me to memorize parts:

1.) Stay Positive. Sounds obvious but it's 90% of battle right here. Decide that it is going to happen and that your going to do it. Don't think things like "I'm just not the kind of person who..." or "I'm not naturally good at ..." Staying positive helped me realize that I would much rather change some of my habits than let my habits keep me from getting to the next level of technique. To put it another way, it is helpful to realize that the experience of learning classical guitar is supposed to change a person.

2.) As you start to link the notes together into longer and longer sequences (and ultimately the whole piece), try to use the tactile sense in your hands and fingers as much as possible. Rather than trying to remember note names (A, B, C#,...) Think about what it FEELS LIKE (what movements your fingers make) to play a sequence of notes.

3.) Stay consistent and memorization will come on its own. Memorization is more of a by-product of familiarizing yourself with the material on a daily basis and allowing it to sink in over several days and weeks. In that sense, memorization is a goal that I keep in mind, but not something I pursue directly. I check often to see if I've reached memorization (so that I can work on expressive phases of the music), but if not I simply keep at it (review tip #1).

Hope some of this is helpful.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Brian Hunker wrote:....
Here's a few things that have helped me to memorize parts:

1.) Stay Positive. Sounds obvious but it's 90% of battle right here. Decide that it is going to happen and that your going to do it. Don't think things like "I'm just not the kind of person who..." or "I'm not naturally good at ..." Staying positive helped me realize that I would much rather change some of my habits than let my habits keep me from getting to the next level of technique. To put it another way, it is helpful to realize that the experience of learning classical guitar is supposed to change a person.

2.) As you start to link the notes together into longer and longer sequences (and ultimately the whole piece), try to use the tactile sense in your hands and fingers as much as possible. Rather than trying to remember note names (A, B, C#,...) Think about what it FEELS LIKE (what movements your fingers make) to play a sequence of notes.

3.) Stay consistent and memorization will come on its own. Memorization is more of a by-product of familiarizing yourself with the material on a daily basis and allowing it to sink in over several days and weeks. In that sense, memorization is a goal that I keep in mind, but not something I pursue directly. I check often to see if I've reached memorization (so that I can work on expressive phases of the music), but if not I simply keep at it (review tip #1).

Hope some of this is helpful.
:bravo: Brian, very nice and helpful explanation.
It seems to me (from my experience) it is necessary to "turn off" the brain for memorizing music. It is necessary to believe in your fingers, and with repetition build muscle memory. It's like one reverse process when something from fingers mounted in the brain. :)
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Archit:

Wow. Really great job on this lesson. Looks like you managed to not only memorize and playback each of the pieces perfectly, but you did so with a good amount of expression and feeling. Particularly on "Leccion 1" you sounded great! AND great job with the BONUS work: "Donne Moi La Fleur". :okok:

I do have one suggestion for you. See if can pay a bit more attention to the follow through of your thumb. Particularly when you play an open fifth string after previously playing an open sixth string. If this bass note moves from open E to open A (or from open A to the open D) try to make a definite habit of playing the new bass note (rest stroke) and then immediately cycle back and land your thumb on the previously ringing bass note to damp it. Seems like a lot of work but in my experience it took one or two practice sessions to change it from a conscious action to a reflex that happens by itself. It makes a big difference as far as clearing up the sound in the low notes and it also promotes a greater feeling of stability planting the thumb vs. kind of letting it float around above the bass strings.

But overall TREMENDOUS progress here, Archit. Sounds great and you made it look easy.

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Goran Penic wrote: It seems to me (from my experience) it is necessary to "turn off" the brain for memorizing music. It is necessary to believe in your fingers, and with repetition build muscle memory. It's like one reverse process when something from fingers mounted in the brain. :)
:bye:

Thanks, Goran!

I also like the way you think about it as a 'reverse process'. This is something I often acknowledge but have difficulty describing. The feeling is as if your brain teaches the sequence of notes to your fingers (muscle memory), one and two notes at a time. And then you must allow the brain to reverse from the role of speaker to the role of listener. I stop thinking about the literal notes and just spend time 'listening' to sequence of the changing sensations in my hands. And that MUSCLE SENSE FEEDBACK which the fingers send back to the brain is really what is memorized. ...crazy stuff. :shock:

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Brian Hunker wrote:Archit:

Wow. Really great job on this lesson. Looks like you managed to not only memorize and playback each of the pieces perfectly, but you did so with a good amount of expression and feeling. Particularly on "Leccion 1" you sounded great! AND great job with the BONUS work: "Donne Moi La Fleur". :okok:

I do have one suggestion for you. See if can pay a bit more attention to the follow through of your thumb. Particularly when you play an open fifth string
Wow! Thanks a lot Brian for your feedback. Much of what I did in this lesson came from all the things you shared with us. You have always been stressing on trusting the fingers rather than looking at the fret board. It helped me a lot and I am glad I could do that successfully in Leccion1. :)
And yes, you made a good observation on my right thumb. I never gave it a thought even though sometimes, in my own pieces, I can hear the bass notes ringing needlessly. So, point taken ! ! I will try and work on that as well.

It is good to see you helping each one of us. ! ! :merci:

Theresa S. Sedlock

Post by Theresa S. Sedlock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Polyphonie1
[media]https://youtu.be/gh31FiyrV2Q[/media]

Polyphonie2
[media]https://youtu.be/M_2SMZDs2BE[/media]

Exercices de simple alternation
[media]https://youtu.be/nfslyLcbriY[/media]

Exercices de simple alternation2
[media]https://youtu.be/JukVSIo2nBU[/media]

Here is my assignment for this lesson. I am currently working on Leccion1. I realized i wasn't doing it apoyando style. If i don't hear from any of you I will assume I am doing everything perfectly.

8)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”