D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stefan Srećković

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks y'all.

Marko I'll try experimenting with what you said. Figured I'm gonna get a clean rendition first before I start ornamenting it.

I'm currently experimenting with volume. It came to my attention that most of the pieces I go through are monotone in volume when in fact notes need accenting/toning down in order to bring out an even more beautiful sound.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:- It is also sometimes customary to use 'courtesy accidentals' (sometimes in parenthesis) to indicate the return to key signature, when the bar has changed, and there would be no obligation to do so. It could be, Bea, that you were expecting to see one here, and therefore thought the accidentals would "stick" through the whole scale.
Yes, Marko, this is exactly what I thought. Thank you so much for this explanation as well as the explanation about the notes with same pitch, I learned something else new today. :bravo:

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:37 pm

In Andante Affecttuoso, in measures 13, 14,15, what finger does Mr. Delcamp uses to damp the E before the D#. I am trying to use the 4th finger(pinky), I play the E then when playing D# I dampen the E, but then I have to lift the 4th finger to play the next E and then I damp the E again when playing the D#. In Mr. Delcamp's video I don't think he is using that finger, is he doing the dampening?

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:54 pm

It looks like he's doing the same exact thing yes. I don't see his plucking hand (his left hand) doing any muting, nor do I see any of his other fingers on the fretting hand doing the muting.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:16 am

Yes Stefan, that's what we see. I will keep on damping with the 4th finger. Yet I don't understand why do we have to damp the treble notes, they don't ring as loud as the bass, especially the E on the 1st string you could hardly hear it ringing after playing. I understand the bass should be damped because now their ringing bother me, but the treble they don't bother me when they ring, my ears haven't opened to that yet.

I went through the two pieces, it was not hard to sight read. I liked Mr. Delcamp link explaining the Sor piece, I learned a bit about the phrases, cadenza and 7th chord which I never heard before, I read in wikipedia that 7th chord is G D F B. I think one challenge here would be to play piano and forte when repeating the measures.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Bea, what 4th finger are you referring to - LH or RH?

As best I can tell from the video, if he's muting, he's doing so with his playing hand, not the fretting hand. Remember those exercises where we had to play one string and simultaneously dampen another - and alternate? This seems like that - and it's the most challenging type, adjacent strings. Anyway he seems to be using the m and a fingers, but I could be wrong.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:15 am

Obviously the LH 4th finger, has anyone used the RH pinky for any reason? not me :lol:
Carl, good point that maybe he is muting with the playing hand, however that's hard to see and hard to do, I haven't got that yet. I will mute with LH pinky.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:54 am

I had to edit this posting. Yes, muting the first string with the playing hand with the ring finger works for me with the Sor piece but not with those bars from Meissonnier.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 am

For the Meissonnier piece, you could dampen the E before the D# by laying the LH pinky across both strings, but then you'd have to lift it rather quickly to play E again. For those bars - D#/E/D#/E, the approach I was thinking of is the same technique as was covered in exercise 40 on p. 84 of D02. Do you think that could work? I'm trying it, but still in the early stages of getting it right.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:18 am

CarlWestman wrote:For those bars - D#/E/D#/E, the approach I was thinking of is the same technique as was covered in exercise 40 on p. 84 of D02.
That's exactly what JFD is doing. But he's using i&m, not m&a as you suspected earlier.
Beatriz Martin wrote:Yet I don't understand why do we have to damp the treble notes, they don't ring as loud as the bass, especially the E on the 1st string you could hardly hear it ringing after playing. I understand the bass should be damped because now their ringing bother me, but the treble they don't bother me when they ring, my ears haven't opened to that yet.
It's also that some guitars sustain the treble string better, new strings will sustain longer than old worn out ones, etc. But most likely it is as you said, you're just not paying attention to the difference in sound between the notes ringing together and not. Also note that JFD damps one string just slightly after plucking the other, so they do ring together a very small amount of time. That way he achieves seamless legato between the notes, without creating much dissonance that would result from not damping the strings at all. Mastering this (damping) technique allows for subtle control of the sound, and playing guitar well really is a lot about subtle things.

If you do the muting with your fretting hand pinky, it's almost inevitable that the notes will not sound legato, and therefore I do not recommend it.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:35 am

To clarify, is LH or RH muting used in this particular section?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 am

Your RH, JFD's LH ;-)
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:21 am

It was an unintentionally tricky question but you've given an adequate answer :D

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:03 am

Marko Räsänen wrote:If you do the muting with your fretting hand pinky, it's almost inevitable that the notes will not sound legato, and therefore I do not recommend it.
When will the easiest way will be the better one? :roll:

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:25 am

Not once has that been the case so far :D

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”