D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
CarlWestman

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:45 am

Welcome Laura! Your guitar sounds wonderful. What model are you playing? Also, how are you doing video? Do you have a webcam? My computer is in a room that is terribly lit and thus it's pointless to use a webcam there, especially for this. I stay within arm's reach of my camera, which tends to result in my head being out of frame (trust me, it's no big loss!), but there's a better view of my hands for critiquing.

You play rather well, though I agree your tempo is a little fast. (You play remarkably cleanly for the ambitious tempo you do set).

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:01 am

Very nice quality recordings, Halil!

My first impression, from your C Major scale, is why did your trebles sound so incredibly bright compared to your bass strings? At first I thought maybe you had a steel-string guitar. Perhaps you played the trebles with nails but the bass strings with flesh?

I thought you did a very nice job on the Sor piece - the rubato you employed was Stefanesque! Though a milder form. I'm sure you're aware of a couple slip-ups, as am I of my own, but overall, your playing was very consistent and enjoyable to hear.

Carl

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:55 am

Thank you for your feedback Beatriz and Stefan. I agree. I definitely need to slow things down to play more musically. I am still a bit confused by the tempo markings, particularly for the Andante. Mr. Delcamp plays it considerably slower than the notated tempo. Is he playing it at this tempo to make it more approachable for a level 2 student, or is the suggested tempo a bit off?
Carl, I am playing an Alvarez CY117 that was built in 1986. I believe it has a solid cedar top, and rosewood back and sides. I am the original owner. I have been playing for quite some time, but I switch around and play lots of other instruments and styles, so my playing hasn't progressed as far as I would like. Finding this site has rekindled my interest in playing classical guitar. I record my video with iMovie directly with my built in webcam. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and a Rode NT1 microphone.
Carl, I can relate to your comment about needing to avoid starting from the beginning of the piece after a mistake. During practice, I usually try to avoid this, but today I had to do many takes while recording a couple of the lessons. Because I was trying to get a decent recording, I kept starting over from the beginning. After a while I had to pause the recording and practice just the end of songs so that I could get past the parts where I kept messing up. It is very difficult to a solid performance all the way through a piece, particularly the longer ones. Overall you did a great job on this week's lesson.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:44 am

Hi Carl,
Your recordings were quite well.
In regards to the Allegretto you play well all notes, good intonation and fluid. One thing it could be missing to make it more interesting is to add sound coloration or echo effect (piano, forte) like delcamp explains. I am not telling you this because I was more successful at doing it. I tried to do the echo effect but I needed more confidence and practice so that's something we both need to work on.
CarlWestman wrote:I really hoped to get through the Meissonnier piece with fewer hesitations and slip ups.
Regarding the Meissonnier, you seem to know what you need to make it perfect. Again you did not add any sound coloration. I think this piece needs sound coloration because although it is nice it becomes monotonous without coloration. Try to move your hand closer to the fingerboard or over the rosette too. I wasn't great but I did it and I find myself enjoying more the piece, besides it gave me more familiarity and confidence with my right hand.
:bravo:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Laura Staats wrote:Thank you for your feedback Beatriz and Stefan. I agree. I definitely need to slow things down to play more musically. I am still a bit confused by the tempo markings, particularly for the Andante. Mr. Delcamp plays it considerably slower than the notated tempo. Is he playing it at this tempo to make it more approachable for a level 2 student, or is the suggested tempo a bit off?
It's funny how things that used to catch my attention, I don't even worry about anymore. In D01 I would sometimes get flustered when there was a difference between the indicated tempo on the sheet music, and how M. Delcamp would play them. It wasn't a one-time thing, and no one seemed to care about the discrepancy, explaining it away in some fashion or another, so I took to ignoring the indicated tempo, for better or worse, and sticking to a tempo comparable to how M. Delcamp demonstrated the piece. That is, I gave more credence to his demonstration videos than the written sheet music.

The downside of this, of course, is that I may not really have any legitimate ground to suggest someone is playing too fast merely because their tempo is faster than M. Delcamp's video. I have so long ignored the marked tempo that I failed to consider that you (or others) might actually be playing it as written, rather than as demonstrated! So my apologies if your tempo did coincide with the written sheet music.
Laura Staats wrote:Carl, I am playing an Alvarez CY117 that was built in 1986. I believe it has a solid cedar top, and rosewood back and sides. I am the original owner. I have been playing for quite some time, but I switch around and play lots of other instruments and styles, so my playing hasn't progressed as far as I would like. Finding this site has rekindled my interest in playing classical guitar. I record my video with iMovie directly with my built in webcam. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and a Rode NT1 microphone.
Carl, I can relate to your comment about needing to avoid starting from the beginning of the piece after a mistake. During practice, I usually try to avoid this, but today I had to do many takes while recording a couple of the lessons. Because I was trying to get a decent recording, I kept starting over from the beginning. After a while I had to pause the recording and practice just the end of songs so that I could get past the parts where I kept messing up. It is very difficult to a solid performance all the way through a piece, particularly the longer ones.
Yes, I agree!

Well your guitar sounds fantastic. It's nice that you can get the camera on and off from such a distance. I do have an older camera for which I have a remote release - but it might buy me 3 more feet of distance, tops, and it just does standard-definition. [BTW - I totally understand what you mean about (effectively) getting imbalanced practice when recording. I will have to make a point of controlling for that]

I have considered upgrading from my laminate top guitar, but I really value not having to worry about humidity. In the winter, our gas heat really dries out the house, to the point that it would be foolish to acquire a solid-top instrument and subject it to these conditions. Our open floorplan makes it very hard to get humidity levels up in winter, short of an expensive whole-house humidifying system. The other option is to keep it in a case 23 hrs a day, which isn't attractive to me either for a number of reasons (the lid dropping on the top is just one!). HOWEVER, I did just do some measurements in our semi-furnished basement (I know! - the horror!) and found that even in winter it's a good 45% RH* down there. In the summer, we bring it down to 50% with a dehumidifier. It's not a good place to play (dim, cool, noisy with the dehumidifier) but it could be a decent place for a solid-top to live, so long as I empty that dehumidifier regularly in summertime.

* Relative humidity in winter may be greater than actual humidity, b/c lower temps hold less humidity. But still, it's all I can measure.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:Hi Carl,
Your recordings were quite well.
In regards to the Allegretto you play well all notes, good intonation and fluid. One thing it could be missing to make it more interesting is to add sound coloration or echo effect (piano, forte) like delcamp explains.
What is that? I am unfamiliar, and I confess, I didn't notice that being recommended/suggested. Is it the volume - how he would play it the second time more softly? I do recall in the previous lesson (I think) moving upward on the neck, but didn't notice the instruction to do that on this lesson. That said, I clearly hear it in how he played the demonstration pieces. I should have realized it applied well here too. I could have done that, and should have.

Thank you for the feedback, you're spot on in noticing that.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:31 pm

CarlWestman wrote:It's funny how things that used to catch my attention, I don't even worry about anymore. In D01 I would sometimes get flustered when there was a difference between the indicated tempo on the sheet music, and how M. Delcamp would play them. It wasn't a one-time thing, and no one seemed to care about the discrepancy, explaining it away in some fashion or another, so I took to ignoring the indicated tempo, for better or worse, and sticking to a tempo comparable to how M. Delcamp demonstrated the piece. That is, I gave more credence to his demonstration videos than the written sheet music.
Once you get to D04 and especially D05 you'll find that playing at indicated tempo isn't something you'll manage in the allotted time. Even reaching M. Delcamp's demonstration speed usually means forgetting about adding any musicality to your playing (as surviving the piece technically will require all your attention), if doable at all :)

I comfort myself with the thought that the indicated tempo is something a professional playing would aim at when preparing for a performance, and perhaps in another five years I might be able to reach the indicated tempo at least for some of the pieces I am currently struggling with.
CarlWestman wrote:I have considered upgrading from my laminate top guitar, but I really value not having to worry about humidity. In the winter, our gas heat really dries out the house, to the point that it would be foolish to acquire a solid-top instrument and subject it to these conditions...
During the coldest months where I live the inside RH drops to 10% or something like that. I don't see it as problem for a solid top provided that the change is gradual enough. Still, I would suggest to keep the guitar in its case (with occasional humidification) even though it's a bit of a pain having to remove and reattach the supports (unless you use a footstool). At least factory made solid tops are sturdy enough to handle some dryness.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:During the coldest months where I live the inside RH drops to 10% or something like that. I don't see it as problem for a solid top provided that the change is gradual enough. Still, I would suggest to keep the guitar in its case (with occasional humidification) even though it's a bit of a pain having to remove and reattach the supports (unless you use a footstool). At least factory made solid tops are sturdy enough to handle some dryness.
Wow, is that dry. Well, in less severe conditions I have a crack on my Rover's spruce top. Just hairline, doesn't affect anything (except resale - and I'll probably never sell it). I'd be considerably more chagrined if it happened to a more expensive model. (The Rover is inexpensive but rare).

When i was in Las Vegas last month, the humidity dropped to 8% in my hotel room. I did humidify the guitar then, but that was not an everyday thing.

I get your point about gradual vs. sudden, but I think gradual can still cause damage if the humidity gets low enough. Maybe not always, but eventually that wood is going to move. Maybe not quickly, but it will, and the glue (or whatever holds the wood fiber cells together) may not go with it at some point.

I've enjoyed a sunny, string-changing day. :D

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Jean-François Delcamp wrote: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=670
Hi Carl, the suggestion of echo effect was on this link on page 1 of the lesson. You probably missed it. I found this instruction interesting.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Hello everyone. Here's my submission for Andante Affettuoso.
[media]https://youtu.be/ytPYn4ntj2g[/media]

Experimenting with ideal settings on the Zoom Q2HD. Any inputs/tips will be appreciated from those in the know.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:30 am

C Major Scale
[media]https://youtu.be/zN2163Ug8rk[/media]

Sor Allegretto
[media]https://youtu.be/MO5fqv-0o24[/media]

Mark_Steed

Post by Mark_Steed » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Nice work Satyajit. I particularly liked your Sor, well done - the timing is difficult, the crochets tend to ring on over their allotted time :D

I don't know the Meissonnier at all well and will leave the technical critic to those who are far more in the know.

Enjoyed your playing

mark :bye:

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks, Mark! Yes, damping and timing need refinement.

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Here are my submissions:

C Major Scale
[media]https://youtu.be/rnxmt1r2cog[/media]

Sor Allegretto
[media]https://youtu.be/MZmfvR_mpxQ[/media]

Andante Affettuoso
[media]https://youtu.be/GbbO78VJAHQ[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”