D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Mike Modjeski

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Mike Modjeski » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:53 am

Very good William, consistent, clean.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:48 am

:D William,

Both pieces sound clean and the timing is good. I found the Prelude really nice to listen to.
The notes at the end could be more definitive. Other than that, it sounds perfect!
How are your nails doing? Mine still haven't grown back.
:D
Cat Livingston

Marian Kmet

Post by Marian Kmet » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:39 am

Mike Modjeski wrote:On the Carulli PRELUDE N°4 opus 114, Mr. Delcamp suggested practicing this piece keeping three fingers on the strings at all times in order to train the fingers. I assumed that he meant for the right hand, which is a challenge and it doesn't sound right. Also he doesn't play it that way in his video. Am I thinking correctly? It is a good exercise but I have to play it normally sometimes for a break;)
Hi Mike,

that's just a technique exercise, not a performance tip. Playing that way sounds staccato and I don't think PRELUDE N°4 is supposed to sound staccato.

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Sorry for the late comments everyone, I was away during the holidays.

Pentti, you play prelude really well even with your fingers kept down! Great tone variation in Ghirizibo!
Cat, nice consistent playing on both pieces, great job!

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 pm

William,

Nicely played on both pieces. Great rhythm in Ghiribizzo, and cleanly played on prelude!

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

My videos for the lessons are below. As always, all comments are greatly appreciated.

Prelude - realized it was slower than I expected after watching the video - still a few hiccups.
[media]https://youtu.be/s8PTq6KXRX0[/media]

GHIRIBIZZO n°1
[media]https://youtu.be/ce-l57QGKeo[/media]

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 pm

:bravo: Win!

You did a great job with both pieces.
The Prelude sounds fine slow. It just makes it sound somber.
You played the end notes definitively. I hear no fault with your rendition of Paganini Ghiribizzo number1.
:) Cat Livingston

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Excellent job Win! :bravo:
Flawless playing. Both pieces. Very enjoyable to listen to. :casque:
Thanks Win.

Pentti

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:37 am

Thanks for the comments Cat and Pentti!

EmmanuelVankerschaver

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Starting to slip behind on schedule, but here are my submissions for this lesson

Ferdinand Carulli

[media]https://youtu.be/ASley_f301U[/media]

Niccolo Paganini

[media]https://youtu.be/Oqf8_Np0nZA[/media]

Enjoy and feel free to comment

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Emmanuel,

:bravo:

I really enjoyed listening to both pieces :)!
Carulli Prelude N4 Opus 114-
You played this piece evenly with good fluidity. It was a pleasure to listen to.

Paganini Ghiribizzo n 1
It sounded very good.
It was amazing how You maintained focus even when someone (a child?), set something on the table near you!
That would have been difficult for me.

Glad you are still with us!
-Cat

EmmanuelVankerschaver

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks a lot Cat,

I did notice the year 3 students are as large of a group as some of the others based on the forum activity ;-)

My 6-year old daughter did bring me an encouraging drink after seeing me struggle in front of the webcam...
Kids are smart these days, or -not unlikely- she knows the suffering from the piano lessons she gets - LOL

You're contributions were smooooooth as well. What impresses me the most is you don't look at you fingers but rather the sheet music when you are playing. In my case, I learn the score by heart as fast as I can and focus on looking at my left hand fingering ;-0)

Cheers
Emmanuel

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:31 am

:bravo: Emmanuel!
Well done again.

Your Prelude was very fluent and flawless.

Regarding GHIRIBIZZO n°1, you could have tried to vary tone color by shifting your right hand as professor Delcamp suggested. This was anyhow something that I found quite challenging when playing.

EmmanuelVankerschaver

Post by EmmanuelVankerschaver » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Thx Pentti,

you found the right hand position change quite challenging, I have found it quite impossible even with 7 weeks practice :oops: .
Occasionally I did get something working but not on a consistency I could submit it.
Let's hope I'll look back at this in two-three years and wonder why I found it difficult early on...

At the moment no time to work on that : trilling like a madman !

Cheers
Emmanuel

Marian Kmet

Post by Marian Kmet » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm trying to catch up this D03 class and here's my lesson 05. I've done lesson 04 only week ago :)

PRELUDE N°4 opus 114:
[media]https://youtu.be/Rp3EOKkMgbc[/media]

Very nice and enjoyable little piece. I tried to imitate professor's Delcamp playing (dynamics, crescendo/decrescendo) as much as possible, but this recording is the best I'm able to do now.
I'm quite confused about the bass notes here. They're notated as short 16th notes, but professor Delcamp kept them ringing throughout the piece. Without hearing his recording, I would try to damp all that bass notes to keep them short and I'm sure I would struggle with that :)

GHIRIBIZZO n°1:
[media]https://youtu.be/lbvMywqPg1M[/media]

This was quite hard to sight-read at first, I guess I could not play that without the fingerings provided in the score. And again, bass damping was the biggest challenge for me.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”