D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:49 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D05.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we are going to work on a series of exercises:
- page 160 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) Exercices sur les harmoniques à l'octave (Exercises for octave harmonics):

exercise 110, play natural octave harmonics using both hands.
exercise 111, natural octave harmonics using one hand.
exercise 112, artificial octave harmonics: F and G on the first string.
exercise 113, natural and artificial octave harmonics: scale of E minor.
exercise 114, natural and artificial octave harmonics: arpeggio of E minor.
exercise 115, natural and artificial harmonics produced by touching the harmonic node of the string with the thumb.
exercise 116, natural and artificial harmonics produced by touching the harmonic node of the string with the index finger.

Today we'll look at 5 pieces.
- page 27 Anonyme Saltarello
I offer a fingering which makes it easier to control how long the basses ring on. You are free to use it or, along with the majority of guitarists, to opt for a fingering with all open strings in the bass.
Each phrase is repeated a second time with small embellishments. Thus bars 9 to 16 repeat bars 1 to 8, and bars 25 to 32 repeat bars 17 to 24.
The harmonics of the last few bars are natural harmonics produced by lightly touching the harmonic node of the string with a left-hand finger. In the final 3 bars, make a barré with the left-hand finger, just barely touching the strings.

- page 53 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°38
This is a lively piece. In my view, it should be played staccato to reveal its resolute, masterful side. A rare alliance of conviction and conciseness, it is a little masterpiece.

- page 70 Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
In this arpeggio study the three voices are each expressed in their turn. Mostly the bass appears on beats 1 and 4, the melody on beats 2 and 3, and the middle voice in between beats. Use rest stroke on the first string with the ring finger in order to bring out the melody.

- page 118 Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita
One of the charms of this very poetical piece is the melody in artificial harmonics. To produce these harmonics on the bass strings, I use my thumb to touch the harmonic node of the string at the indicated fret. Doing it this way allows me to stay close to the normal position.

- page 128 Julio Sagreras (1879-1942) Lecciones III n°11
This is a lesson where the melody is played in artificial octave harmonics. To produce an artificial octave harmonic, the guitarist lightly touches the string with the index finger at a dividing point (a harmonic node) situated half way along the vibrating length of the string, while at the same time plucking the string with the ring finger as near as possible to the bridge. One of the difficulties is to play the melody in harmonics mezzo forte and the accompaniment piano. Either the ring finger or the little finger can be used for playing harmonics. The ring finger seems to me to be easier to use. The little finger is an interesting option because it can pluck the string further away from the point where it is being touched by the index finger. The further away from this point you can pluck the string, the louder and clearer is the sound obtained. To increase volume and clarity, stretch the plucking finger as far as possible from the finger touching the harmonic node.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 70 Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
- page 118 Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

Exam qualifying submissions: :
Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853) Etude III opus 60
Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita

Håvard.Bergene

Marko Räsänen

piero zaninetti
Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de lamuñequita

Pat Hargan

Eric de Vries

Goran Penic
:( + ♫ = :)

Håvard.Bergene

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:40 am

A first recording of El sueño de la muñequita. I've worked mostly on the artificial harmonics part, and by mistake I forgot the thumb until yesterday, so I show both thumb and index making the artificial harmonics. The start / end I see no problem with other than more practice. In the harmonics I struggle a bit to avoid lower harmonics (the regular note) sounding at the same time as the (upper) harmonic.
[media]https://youtu.be/Taj-YKUcFjQ[/media]
Alhambra 11P

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:06 am

Hi Håvard,

I think your making good progress with the piece. Clearly the harmonics part can be played either way (using either thumb or index finger to stop the string at the node). Bar 35 could be more difficult with index finger as the chord there has 3 notes.

Stopping the base note from sounding is only a matter of finding the exact node point with your thumb. With your index finger you had no trouble in doing that.

In bars 42 and 44 where there are the 5th fret harmonics, I have been stopping the string at harmonic node with a free left hand finger (first '2' and then '4') at the 5th fret similarly to (what I think) professor Delcamp does. It allows the note to be plucked near the saddle to produce more volume, possibly.

I realise you haven't practiced the first part too much, but when you do, pay attention to continuity of the melody line. I think it should have a singing quality, as in a lullaby.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Håvard, I just listened to your performance again, and noticed that in bar 14 you play B as the bass note instead of f#. I think the easiest way to damp the B from bar 13 is to momentarily lift the barre when moving the other left hand fingers. At least I am playing the 'a' note on 4th string with thumb, which makes right hand thumb damping out of the question, or at least very complicated.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:49 pm

After recording my best take so far of 'El sueño de la muñequita', I listened to JF's version of it, and I'm almost ashamed to post this. Mine is sooo sloooow, and yet too fast for me to play without mistakes.

My harmonics used to be better previously when practicing. Especially the 3rd string 'g' is barely audible in this take. I'm not sure what happened, but it's not just microphone placement vs. live sound to my own ears. Probably just the thumb placement was off. This is once again one of those 'deceivingly hard to record' pieces for me, with so many aspects to study that it's hard to get a take that sounds remotely like I'd want it to sound. I think the piece is simply pushing my limits, in a good way though :)

[media]https://youtu.be/0lrQqtDFmz0[/media]
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

piero zaninetti

Post by piero zaninetti » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885-1944) El sueño de la muñequita :bye:

Guitar Vicente Carillo Mod RIO 1998 Strings D'Addario EJ45 Normal Tension
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gilmar

Post by gilmar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi Harvard.
A little more practice and you will get it. You have a very good advices from Marko.

gilmar

Post by gilmar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Nice Performance Piero.
Congrats.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:03 am

Marko Räsänen wrote:After recording my best take so far of 'El sueño de la muñequita', I listened to JF's version of it, and I'm almost ashamed to post this. Mine is sooo sloooow, and yet too fast for me to play without mistakes.
[/youtube]
:bravo: Marko. I like your performance. Speed is not the problem, it will come with time, but you know this.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:02 am

:merci: Goran!

The problem with speed (aside from the right hand movement related to playing 5th fret harmonics) for me is mostly avoiding string noise for example at the end of bar 2, when pinky finger needs to move quickly from 4th string to 1st, or at the end of bar 5, where there is a position shift and finger '2' needs to lift quickly from the 5th string when the bass moves to finger 4 on 4th string. I find especially the latter very difficult to do at speed without creating noise from the wound string or cutting the bass note short. I wonder how people manage things like that generally? Do I just need to mute the 5th string with RH thumb before unfretting it, so that I can unfret the string quicker?

I also struggle with bar 26, getting finger '2' in place at the right time, but that problem most likely will resolve itself with enough repetition.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Here's my Carcassi. I've been practicing it with 1st string rest stroke, but decided to record it free stroke all the way, because I think it sounds more balanced that way. Feels remarkably easy to play after the pieces we've had to record lately. Few mistakes still included :D

[media]https://youtu.be/7VpYGaHzgYU[/media]
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 pm

:bravo: Piero!

:bravo: Marko. I agree that the Carcassi feels much easier. I think the main difficulty lies in separating the voices. I think you managed that quite well, but the accompaniment arpeggios (ie not base and melody) could maybe be played softer. May need to be exaggerated to be heard on the recording (as I think you wrote in another post). Very pleasant :casque:
Alhambra 11P

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:46 pm

:bravo: Håvard. Keep at it, you are making good progress with the Barrios.

:bravo: Piero, you played both pieces very well.

:bravo: Marko, so did you. Goran is right, speed is not important; it will come in time. I would not worry too much about string noise either. I did not notice it on your video and I feel that it is certainly more important to give the bass note its full value than to cut it off in an attempt to minimise noise. Nice job on the Carcassi too.

Here are my attempts at this lesson's pieces. I have finally changed my strings for the first time (after more than a year since I bought the guitar). :D

First, the Barrios. This technique of playing artificial harmonics with the thumb is new to me. I can see the benefit, but I need more practice with it. I did not read Marko's comment about touching the 5th-fret harmonics with the LH before making the video; as you can see, I have been playing them over the soundhole with the RH, which makes it a bit tricky to find the node accurately. I also find it difficult to read the music when playing passages with artificial harmonics, because I need to look at the guitar to check that I am over the correct fret with the RH. Another good reason for memorisation, I guess.

Apart from the harmonics section, I find the trickiest part of this piece bars 26-27.

[media]https://youtu.be/zykTgmm0cSI[/media]

Here is my Carcassi. I have learnt this piece before, from Noad, but I have tried to use the Delcamp fingering and damping. I find the fingering at bar 7 awkward (although no doubt good training, as we have discussed before), but I much prefer the fingering at bar 20 to Noad's. I would like to get some more dynamics into the piece. Does anyone know the meaning of pf at the beginning or rf at bar 6?

[media]https://youtu.be/WpYry_TvuOA[/media]

Sagreras - I nearly have this one, but I have more experience with this method of playing harmonics than with the thumb. My main problem is losing my place on the page when I have to look at the guitar.

[media]https://youtu.be/6ePznm-4RsE[/media]

Paganini - the main things I have found tricky are the position shifts at bars 5 and 25 and the damping in bars 14-18 and 27-30.

[media]https://youtu.be/AmP917Qxp5U[/media]

Saltarello - not exactly Allegro! My main impressions of this piece are that the LH little finger is very busy, and the damping makes it harder than it seems at first.

[media]https://youtu.be/uUSG5lxLUJ0[/media]
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Everybody has been very busy over here. Good work, Marko, Havard and Pat!!
After a holiday of two weeks, I finally have the opportunity to make some recordings and post them. Here's my first try of Carcassi's Etude III.

[media]https://youtu.be/gdKtrtY2IJM[/media]

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 am

Hi all.
Here is my Sagreras.

[media]https://youtu.be/Dww8P-5GquI[/media]
:merci: for watching.
Marko Räsänen wrote:Here's my Carcassi. I've been practicing it with 1st string rest stroke, but decided to record it free stroke all the way, because I think it sounds more balanced that way. Feels remarkably easy to play after the pieces we've had to record lately. Few mistakes still included :D
:bravo: Marko. Nice performance. :casque:
I was afraid that I am playing too slow this piece, but now after I heard your performance I must admit that I prefer the slower version more.
Also the whole time I played the rest stroke, but in the end I decided to free stroke performance.
I also find this on French forum (especially the first video):
Giuseppe Gasparini wrote: Bonjour Anne, quelques suggestions pour le 3 Carcassi :bye: Jules :bravo: :bye:

http://youtu.be/ABiFbArVsFQ
http://youtu.be/TMi_391ywno
I hope that tomorrow I will have time to record my video with Carcassi piece.
Last edited by Goran Penic on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”