D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi Carl, have you tried Avidemux? It's free (GNU GPL), lets you trim, replace audio, and export as mp4 (supported by youtube). I haven't used it for trimming / editing myself, but I use it to overdub with the audio I have extracted from the video, and then normalized in an audio editing software. Because my audio comes from the video (I use audio recorder as an external microphone connected to the line-in of my digital video recorder), I don't need to do any synchronizing (I trim before separating the audio), and therefore I'm not sure if Avidemux lets you do that. Worth a try perhaps?
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks - I did try it quickly yesterday, and do have it installed. I had some strange results, but did not have time to master the software before submitting audio only. One result was that the trimmed file was 3x the size of the original file, even though the trimmed part was about 1/3 the whole file time. So somehow it ballooned up by a factor of 9. Then, when I tried to replace the smartphone's audio with a digital recording (and I just sync them with trial and error in windows movie maker), WMM would not open the resulting trimmed file. I suppose I could spend more time mastering it but I think my time is better spent practicing guitar! Perhaps getting the right video setup is more of a summer project. Thanks for chiming in!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 am

:bravo: Carl,
The slurs were really good. I like how you showed your index pressing the strings and your right hand, did you do apoyando by any chance? It looks like apoyando, I didn't for slurs.
The Andantino had a good pace, even tempo, it sounded more smooth than the Sauteuse, I think it was really nice.
Sauteuse sounded quite well too but I heard some hesitations and I think the tempo was not even through out the piece.
:bye:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Thank you Bea - I agree with your critique. Yes, I do tend to do rest stroke, as it is how I originally learned and unless indicated otherwise that's how I tend to play.

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Carl,that is interesting that you tend to fall back on rest stroke. The first lesson from D02 almost scared me off because of the rest stroke exercises, even though I've been playing guitar a long time. I am trying to remind myself to include it in my practice occasionally so I can get more used to it. Your slurs sounded very good, and the other pieces seem to be coming along nicely. You used pretty extensive rubato in Sauteuse, which was interesting since you didn't sound entirely comfortable with the idea of critiquing pieces with rubato. Did you play it straight first, or did you end up using it in order to emulate our example?

Marko, thank you for your posts regarding Noad's advice on using rubato. I found the posts and the discussion that followed very helpful.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:20 pm

Laura Staats wrote: You used pretty extensive rubato in Sauteuse
Carl, is this maybe why I thought the tempo was not even? I don't feel comfortable with critiquing pieces with rubato either. As a beginner I stick to what's written on the paper, the tempo and duration of notes. I know I shouldn't do that, but that's what I do now, my brain doesn't interiorize rubato yet :)

prato fidel

Post by prato fidel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Hello for all, excuseme for my bad english, i want to said, thanks for uploading pieces in mp3. im student of the forum spanish, of february i living in other city by the job, i dont have internet in the new hause, and in the work i cant see Yotube, in the forum spanish everybody use Youtube. Halil Akaydin & carlWestman, your play sauteuse very diferent, but good.
records of Venezuela

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Here are my submissions:

LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
[media]https://youtu.be/V1Uyd-sSlsM[/media]

ANDANTINO
[media]https://youtu.be/p5bfoXGMHSQ[/media]

SAUTEUSE opus 59
[media]https://youtu.be/gh92dkSv54Y[/media]