D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:06 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Improvisation work - D01
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.

1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.
2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.
3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

Finally, we'll look at 8 tunes, pages 33 to 38. These tunes will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
Anonyme : Quand j'étais chez mon père
Jean-François Delcamp : Bref n°2
Anonyme : Savez-vous planter des choux ?
Jean-François Delcamp : Bref n°1

Anonyme : O bella ciao : In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in English).
Anonyme : No le daba el sol
Anonyme : Ah ! mon beau chateau !
Fernando Sor : Leçon II opus 60

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
Anonyme : Quand j'étais chez mon père
Anonyme : O bella ciao : In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in English).

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Quand j'étais chez mon père
O bella ciao

Antonio Carneiro
O bella ciao

Barbara DiNenno
O bella ciao

Bill Davis
O bella ciao

Halil Akaydin
O bella ciao

Ben Spurr
O bella ciao

Shelby Brown
O bella ciao

Scott Fountain
O bella ciao

Theresa S. Sedlock
O bella ciao

Paul Shepley
O bella ciao

Apip Kamil
O bella ciao

Eddy Sung
O bella ciao

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
O bella ciao

CasperVanKerschaver
O bella ciao

Erik Baselier
O bella ciao

Brian Hunker
O bella ciao
:( + ♫ = :)

Halil Akaydin

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Halil Akaydin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 am

Professor Delcamp seems to be using free stoke in the third set of videos. Should we be practicing rest stroke or free stroke on these.

In the Sor piece, for example, using free stroke will involve different muting technique. Should we just practice this rest stroke
even though Professor Delcamp is using free?

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Halil, at the beginning of each piece, in the noted bpm line, it tells you how it should be played. In this lesson, I see that only the one on page 36 is to be played using free strokes.

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks, Ben. Yeah, I noticed that but it just seemed like in the videos they were being played with free strokes so I was a little confused.

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Regarding O bella ciao, do we need to be heard counting out loud for our submission to count?

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Halil, I looked at a couple of the submissions in last years archive of that tune, they aren't counting out loud. So my thoughts are that we don't need to do that, if we keep time silently it will show that we are doing it right, there's no need to do it aloud.

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:21 am

I am wondering what the extended slur lines are indicating on most all of the pieces. The slur lines that arc over the top of the stances. Now that I notice them, they are prevalent in most of the pieces. I looked it up on the music dictionary but I could not get a good answer.

thanks

barbara

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 am

Barbara, those arcs are phrase lines. The best way I can describe them is that they are like a sentence in a story. The group of notes underneath the phrase lines go together like a sentence, with a beginning, and the last note resolves the phrase into an ending. The way I practice is to play these phrases over and over one at a time until I get it down. Does this make any sense? Below is a link with a lot more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase_%28music%29

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:20 am

Ben Spurr wrote:Barbara, those arcs are phrase lines. The best way I can describe them is that they are like a sentence in a story. The group of notes underneath the phrase lines go together like a sentence, with a beginning, and the last note resolves the phrase into an ending. The way I practice is to play these phrases over and over one at a time until I get it down. Does this make any sense? Below is a link with a lot more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase_%28music%29
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the wiki link. That was very helpful. I didn't even think about phrasing. I have so much to learn about music theory. I keep going back to my music theory apps to figure things out in the music we are studying. This is like learning another language. All those years I messed around with tab music seems like such a waste as it was holding me back from reading music properly and playing better music.

Thanks,Bill

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi, Bill, that is exactly what has happened to me, tabs seemed to be the only way I could figure out how to play anything and half the time the music never sounded right. I have several books covering guitars that include music for them, all leave quite a lot of needed music information out, no wonder I never progressed and could never play using sheet music. I've had to look all over the net in addition to looking through my books to figure out all of the different things that have appeared in these lessons. I just supposed everyone else already knew how to read music before they started, so I never asked a lot of questions.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Ben Spurr wrote:Hi, Bill, that is exactly what has happened to me, tabs seemed to be the only way I could figure out how to play anything and half the time the music never sounded right. I have several books covering guitars that include music for them, all leave quite a lot of needed music information out, no wonder I never progressed and could never play using sheet music. I've had to look all over the net in addition to looking through my books to figure out all of the different things that have appeared in these lessons. I just supposed everyone else already knew how to read music before they started, so I never asked a lot of questions.
Well said Ben! The good thing for us is we are back in the saddle and taking another whirl at it, in a more proper way. Happy learning Ben! Thanks for your honesty as it resonated with my same situation.

Here is a free theory training site that also makes an ipad/iphone app you can pay for, for convenience, but it's free online. In addition to my books this I found to be a quick reference on the basics. http://www.musictheory.net

Thanks!
Bill

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:17 am

Thanks so much Ben. I don't have the excuse of having studied tablature, I just haven't studied music theory much at all. So thanks for the explanation.

Barbara :merci:

Antonio Carneiro

Post by Antonio Carneiro » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Me too, I haven't studied music theory at all :( Does any of you have a good book suggestion?

---

Do hear Mr. Delcamp playing before or after practising? Every time I hear him before practice I'm not able to count the beats properly, I always try to imitate his speed.

QUAND J'ÉTAIS CHEZ MON PÈRE
[media]https://youtu.be/KDrRZ0BHluE[/media]

O bella ciao
[media]https://youtu.be/coQYWnXir2E[/media]

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Antonio,

I have the below book which helps a lot. I haven't seen any one book, or even after owning several, that covers everything you need or run into when playing the guitar, I'm beginning to think that people who actually know are few. As you've probably already found most of the music theory books apply to other instruments, lots for piano, but the guitar is quite different, as the same tune can be played in more than one place on the guitar, and in many different ways, if and when you ever learn where those places are located. I've already learned much more through this course than I ever have through reading, just by seeing things on the music, then researching to figure out the meaning. Same thing with most tutorials on the web, most are very basic and/or are just directed toward one tune or a riff, not much help at all. Maybe someone else has other experiences that they can share, but the basic problem that I see is learning how to learn.

http://www.textbooks.com/BooksDescripti ... 7AodpnEAYQ

Barbara DiNenno

Post by Barbara DiNenno » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Here are my submissions.
[media]https://youtu.be/D5GZa4CB1i8[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/o15NC0GTOSA[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/brZvYjfdw7I[/media]

thanks for listening…. :merci:
Barbara

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”