D02 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Mariano Martínez Gallego

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi Halil.

Your videos are very good, congratulations. :bravo:

They sound very good. :D

And the bonus, which is impressive. :bravo:

A greeting :bye:
Mariano.
Mi paso más

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:47 pm

[quote="Satyajit Kadle"]Here's where I'm at with the Minuet:
[quote]

Hello Satyajit Kadle

Your Menuet is very good. :bravo:

Mariano.
Mi paso más

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Hello, fellow of the English Forum.

Where are the beginners here. :D

All are very good. :lol:

There are no corrections. :wink:

Mariano.
Mi paso más

abel

Post by abel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi Haluil:
OK

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Hello all,

Here are my submissions for lesson 8.

Slurs: http://youtu.be/Fzlo3Tc4pSs
Improvisation on DEGABC: http://youtu.be/LVucQK1ltuY
Selection from La Tarentela (Sanz, 1674): http://youtu.be/P4nI9Wn4C14
Menuet in la mineur (Johann-Philipp Krieger, 1652-1735): http://youtu.be/j1CyuId6ZlU

I am already aware I paused a bit too ...

(wait for it)

... long in menuet, and there's a buzz here or there, but I welcome other feedback. I played the Krieger piece full scale, though I also practiced it shorter scale as well (capo at first fret, but tuned to standard). I got some buzzing there, but I found the 2-4 stretch(es) to be easier. Frankly I think it was dumb luck that my full scale take sounded better, though string tension is reduced some when you tune down a half step and then put on the capo at the first fret, and that did contribute to some buzzing and greater sympathetic vibrations.

Sorry about the camera angle on some of these. It's trial and error with that phone, but I like having HD, and my surviving true camera only does SD (the slurs and improv were done SD, as if you can't tell).

Will reply with comments on other submissions (starting with Laura) in a bit.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Actually starting with Haris - menuet, yes, a little slow, but it was steady, and that's better than fast and erratic. I won't quibble about a missed note here or there since nearly all of us do it - I'm sure you know your mistakes just like I know mine, when it comes to notes anyway.

[Edit: the above comment applies to your first version. Your second version was quicker and nice sounding. The step-down in the second part - measure 16 - sounded like you might have let the D ring too long (the next 2 are also eighth notes, but you play them quicker) ... but that said, I've suspected I've been playing it wrong too, but I look at the music, and there's only 3 notes there, and they're all eighth notes, I think. ]

Laura, I enjoyed your ornamentation on Menuet. Either you were very good at figuring out what M. Delcamp did in his video example (I could not), or you are experienced enough to make up something great sounding on your own. Since I don't know what notes you intended to hit, I can't say you missed any, but around 1:11 it sounded a bit awkward - perhaps you were improvising (in my own improv you will detect some inconsistencies in tempo since I sometimes hesitated slightly, unsure of what to do next, or was still processing what I was hearing myself play). The pace was a bit slow, even for a melancholy tune, but it was nice.

Continuing with Laura: your first improv was pretty darn cool. The second started with some arpeggio that appealed to me greatly! What did you play? I noted you added some double notes (struck together, e.g., p and i, or p and m, etc.). I experimented with that too, but had hoped to do something that would take up the full time that way. I kind of ran out of ideas before 20 seconds was up, but I guess I could have done what you did and played something else with it. I did try and avoid composition though, so I didn't work it through at all.

Your Tarantella was amazing! Wow. Now, did you stick to just strumming with your index finger (i) or did you use more fingers? I followed the written music and did not/could not get the full sound you did. Still, I know M. Delcamp just used one and he obviously did well.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Haris - your slurs were executed with precision. Your left hand is almost robot-like in that regard. Well done! Although, I don't think your tempo is consistent. I think all the notes are supposed to be of the same duration, so it should sound a little robotic too. Your improv was remarkable! Sure you didn't compose it? Perhaps like me, you practice improv a bit and you find yourself falling into patterns even if you don't write them down. Tarantella sounded very good. In particular, your D minor strums were very even. My menuet comments are above; again, on the turnaround/step down in measure 16, it sounds like you're playing the D note as a dotted eighth.

Satyajit - keep at it, for tempo and accuracy. I'm impressed that you added the ornamentation! How is everyone figuring out so easily what to play? My ear isn't that good I guess.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Halil - very precise slurs, nicely done. Tarantella - I agree with Laura, it appeared your last 2 strums were still on E, rather than A minor. And a shift of thumb is needed for that too, and it appears you did that part. Otherwise, excellent. Your improvisation was delicate and lovely - very nice to listen to. Menuet was very good ... I see you too added ornamentation (I stand alone?). Did you add trills too? Did you use the method outlined on page 1 of this thread? I'm not sure there were quite right (around 0:27-0:28, and 0:59-1:01), but my hat is off to you for the effort. I didn't understand how to apply the trill, though I can follow the step by step posted. Interestingly, the video Stefan posted - the trill he does for that Bach piece repeats steps 2 and 3 before getting to step 4, I think. I'm not sure if it should here or not, or where to apply it. It's tough enough for me to follow the sheet music! By the way, Halil, nice sounding guitar!

CarlW

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:27 am

CarlWestman wrote:Hello all,

Here are my submissions for lesson 8.

Slurs:
Improvisation on DEGABC
Selection from La Tarentela (Sanz, 1674)
Menuet in la mineur (Johann-Philipp Krieger, 1652-1735)
I am already aware I paused a bit too ...
(wait for it)
Hello CarlWestman
I saw your videos.

Slurs, very fast and agile, perfect.
Improvisation, Sono very well.
LaTarentela, also very fast.
The left hand has not been.
Perfect.
Note: stop between repetitions.

Menuet,
very high pace.
Sound clear.
Observation. The notes must sound, turn off them very fast, a little slower and the give a bit of sentiment.

This score was to dance slowly.

Good exercise, CarlWestman
A greeting
Mariano.

Note: Sorry for my English. :lol:
Mi paso más

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 am

Mariano, thanks for the encouragement :)

Carl, thanks for your feedback. On the Minuet, you should slow down the opening bars since the subsequent ones have shorter duration notes. Since it's an A minor piece, the improvisation isn't that hard to figure once you run down the scale a few times. However, I couldn't do any on the second part.

Laura, you did some superb improvisations on both parts, also I like the improvisation beat.

Haris, you're right hand technique is good, minimal movement and all dampings observed. I struggled a bit with the Sanz chords.

La Tarantela
[media]https://youtu.be/CRY3zzA-gYc[/media]

Improvisation - DEGABC
[media]https://youtu.be/Edp8oestDfw[/media]

Slurs
[media]https://youtu.be/82tUUlspVs4[/media]

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Laura,
Very nice Menuet with many nice additions and free playnig, unlike my playing that always sticks to the sheet.
Improvisations are very nice, especially the 2nd!
SLurs are very good and I agree about your comment about my slurs durations.
Tarantella is sounding great!

Satyajit,
Your Menuet sounds very nice. I think you could easily imporve it if you tried to play more legato some notes like the boxed ones in measure 7 or do in measure 11.
Very good improvisation, Tarantella and slurs.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Halil,
Great Menuet with nice baroque sound!
Tarantella is also very good except the last chord.
Slurs and improvisation very nice too!
Also, I liked very much the bonus video, it has also great baroque sound.
Your recording has a very good quality.

CarlWestman,
You have been through the most difficult part of learning the Menuet, I think you should play it slower with more feeling as Mariano says. Also I think it would help if you played it at slower pace with a metronome and slowly increase speed. At least that is what I do and helps me a lot. As I said you have done the most difficult part of learning it and I think you easily can do the rest of it.
Very nice improvisation and slurs!

You asked about my improvisation. I played it 1-2 times before recording, not exactly as i recorded it. Anyway, I didn't like it..

Thank you for all your comments, I agree with your comments about my mistakes.
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Lesson 9 has started; is it too late for me to replace my submission if I wanted to improve my tempo on Krieger's menuet? If not, I might continue to work on it with lesson 9.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:19 pm

You can make another recording but as Bob replied here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=85347#p919771 the 1st recording is listed in the 1st post of the topic.

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Halil,
CarlWestman,
You have been through the most difficult part of learning the Menuet, I think you should play it slower with more feeling as Mariano says. Also I think it would help if you played it at slower pace with a metronome and slowly increase speed. At least that is what I do and helps me a lot. As I said you have done the most difficult part of learning it and I think you easily can do the rest of it.
Very nice improvisation and slurs!
Hello Haris.

I commented.
Try singing the times.
Do not use a metronome.
At the beginning it is difficult.
Then you learn.
I sing, 1e, 2e, 3e and 4e.

Try it
A greeting
Mariano.
Mi paso más