D05 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Håvard.Bergene
Student of the online lessons

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 pm

:merci: Marko. I had a another reading error in the same bars which I corrected after listening to Pat's recording. I'm not sure how I managed to misread the D#. I know very well that D is at 5th fret, so higher position is no excuse :oops: . I think improved tone is mainly due to better nail shape (quite short this time), but I also tried to copy your mic placement :)

I've also done a little pami tremolo study... (maybe one week now + I tried Sagreras for about a week before lesson 1 started).
[media]https://youtu.be/liNTVUHdIzE[/media]
Alhambra 11P

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:19 am

Håvard.Bergene wrote:...
I've also done a little pami tremolo study... (maybe one week now + I tried Sagreras for about a week before lesson 1 started).
:bravo: Håvard. Very nice performance, excellent and steady pace with lovely tone. Congratulations. :casque: :casque:
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:47 am

Mark, Pat and Håvard congratulate you on your performances. :bravo:
I am unfortunately still extremely busy at work, so my practice suffered. I hope that this will soon pass.
Marko Räsänen wrote:Piero, your Bach sounds good, but I would rather hear a complete performance with mistakes left in, than something copy pasted together from 3 or more separate takes. It also would be courteus towards other students to let them know that you have edited the piece together from smaller parts....
:shock: I am surprised even though I always wondered how some students can play without mistakes every melody, and regularly send only audio recordings. I always wanted to see how this flawless look to play video

I had my doubts, but I did not want to believe.

piero zaninetti

Post by piero zaninetti » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Sagreras: Terceras lecciones N 4 .

I tried three different ways : i-m-i , i-a-i and then a-m-i :bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 am

Håvard, your tremolo was very even and with good tone, but the upper voice was perhaps played too softly. Could be your recording setup though.

Piero, the notes you played with 'i' finger came out accented in all three versions, which makes me think that there is more resistance between the nail and string for 'i' finger than 'm' or 'a' fingers. I think this is a nail shape issue. For even tremolo, I think it's important that each of the ami fingers feel equal resistance on the string. Adjust the ramp angle of your 'i' finger nail to be more shallow to match the resistance of other fingers. Also, I think you should play ami tremolo slower to get it more even. There is nothing to be gained in practicing the tremolo faster than you're currently capable of.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Here is my recording of Bach's Prelude BWV 1007.

When I was practising it, I had a nail problem with my a-finger so I made many changes in the fingering. Although my nail has recovered by now, most of those changes are still here. Sorry, mister Delcamp :oops:
I have put a lot of afford in the musical expression. IMO a mechanical Bach is almost an insult to the grand maestro! I'm happy with some parts, but I know there's still an awfull lot of work to do.

[media]https://youtu.be/dRWe7ADCoso[/media]

Also the recording quality requires some attention in the future. :( Maybe it's the set of Augustine Gold I'm using since a week or three. The e-string sounds terrible at some spots in the Prelude. It might also be the position of the microphones or the new room I recently moved into (it might be too reflective - it only has a curtain and a bed as sound absorbing objects). And last but not least, maybe I should experiment with my stroke technique.

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 am

:bravo: Eric. I think you've done a great job! As you say, there are still lots to do (For all of us :wink: ). If you want to continue working on it, I suggest to focus on the parts where you have to slow down (bar 10 (the difficult 11 was ok),19,22-28), to get everything up to your main tempo. Maybe play a bit more legato. PS very good tone in some parts.
Alhambra 11P

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:11 pm

:bravo: Eric,

I agree with things that Håvard said. Very pleasurable to listen to. I wouldn't say that your 1st string (I assumed you meant the 1st instead of the 6th?) sounds terrible. It is a little thin sounding at some places. With Augustine Gold/Red/Blue/Black refers to the material and/or tension of the bass strings. The treble strings are differentiated by Classic / Imperial / Regal names. The Imperial is probably the thinnest sounding of those. Is that what you currently have? Imperial Gold?

I find many of the medium / lower tension 1st strings have the problem of sounding tinny. They usually sound fine for the first week, and then they start to sound thinner and thinner as the elasticity goes. I am currently using Hannabach 728 Custom Made Mediums. The trebles are very thick, the 3rd string a bit too thick for my taste, and because of the thickness the sustain suffers a bit, but with my setup / action, they're not overly hard for the left hand. Also, they do not sound overly exciting, but they seem very consistent to me. They stay in tune well, are not very sensitive for temperature (they don't get sharp after being played for a while), the intonation is perhaps not the absolute best, but still acceptable to me. And it's easy to maintain a good tone on the 1st string. I've had them on now for ~3 weeks, and they still sound good, which is more than I can say of most of the other strings I've tried, especially considering that I've been practicing considerably more this lesson than usually.

About your new recording room being too reflective, that is a matter of taste. I didn't find it excessively reflective, but if it forces you to place the microphone closer to the guitar than you're comfortable with, it may become a problem. Actually the sound in your recording was pretty much like my bedroom where I practice every now and then, but never record in. Because the room is smaller than my living room, I find that I play softer there and still get more volume. But regarding the tone, I think the bass strings are affected more.

To be honest, I'm surprised that you get as warm tone as you get by striking the strings as perpendicular as you do. Your right hand position is of the old 'Segovia school'. I guess you do sand & buff the undersides of your nails? After filing my nails, I get a catchy edge to the underside of my nails that I need to sand and buff away, because otherwise the tone will suffer. It's just difficult not to overdo, causing the nail's edge to become thin, which again worsens the tone.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 pm

:bravo: Håvard, great work on all those pieces. The Tarrega and Sagreras are almost there, and in the de Abreu I think you know which parts are giving you difficulty and need more practice. Also I think you could make more of a difference in dynamics between the melody and accompaniment. If only we had more time!

:bravo: Piero, the tremolo study is sounding good.

:bravo: Eric, I enjoyed your performance of the Bach prelude. The crescendo in the final bars was very effective. If I have one comment, it is about the beginning of the piece - it seems to me that the focal point of the arpeggio figure in the first few bars is the second beat, and I think you could bring this out more effectively. In your recording, it sounds as if you are playing the second beat more quietly than the first, whereas I feel that the first four notes are leading towards that point and would prefer a slight crescendo. But, as always, this is is a matter of taste.

I will probably be late with the next lesson, as it lasts only three weeks and I will be away on tour without a classical guitar for half of that time, but I will try to post some videos before lesson 10 commences. :bye:
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Havard, Marko and Pat, thanks for your comments! :merci:
They reflect that is wasn't as worse as I thought.

@Havard
I slowed down on purpose in those bars. :oops:

@Marko
Yes, I meant the first string. I have been experimenting after my recordings. I have hung some blankets on the wall and it was definitely better.
The set of strings are Imperial Gold. I'm happy with the sound of string 2-6, but to get a good sound from the 1st string you have to be carefull with your technique. Sometimes it just slaps on the fretboard.

My stroke is a combination of flesh and nail. When I look at the innerside of my hand, I see only 1 millimeter of my nails. So they are very short. I use a glass file and never have the problems you describe. After filing, I "oil" my nail by striking along the skin of my nose or my forehead. That makes a big difference in the sound!

@Pat
It's a pity the crescendo ends with the small sound of the single d-note. That makes it very hard to perform that way. Apart from that, I messed it up after the crescendo.
I have an other interpretation of the place where one has to put an accent. I've listened quite a lot to Yo Yo Ma, who accentuates on many places the third 1/16 note of every four 1/16 notes. But the way you suggest to play it is also interesting. Good luck on your tour. Music?

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Here's my recording of the Tarrega exercise. I would like to have some more time, but tomorrow the 9th lesson starts. So I'll post it now.
At 50% of the tempo indicated it's still hard to play without mistakes. I tried to hide some of them by playing in the dark :lol: :lol: Nice piece, though.

[media]https://youtu.be/EasFhVYGxn0[/media]
Last edited by EricKatz on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Well done, Eric. :bravo: I didn't hear any mistakes until the very end. I wouldn't worry about the tempo: accuracy leads to speed, but not the other way round.
It's a pity the crescendo ends with the small sound of the single d-note. That makes it very hard to perform that way.

I agree. I also find it difficult to make the final chord as loud as I would like - the open D string sustains much longer than the upper notes.

One of the nice things about this piece, when it comes to interpretation, is that there are so many versions available to listen to, by cellists as well as guitarists. I like this performance by John Feeley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGipFrts650.
Good luck on your tour. Music?
:merci: Yes, a tour of Wales with a children's theatre show based on an old Irish myth about some children who get turned into swans by their wicked stepmother. I'm playing acoustic guitar with a fiddler who wrote the music. Originally it was for a harp rather than a guitar, so I'm using DADGAD tuning to try to approximate the same effect.
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am

Eric, unfortunately I cannot use a glass file, because I cannot stand the screechy sound it makes :D I use a sapphire file followed by #1200 sand paper, followed by #2400, #4000, #8000 and #12000 Micro-Mesh wrapped over a foam block. I have gradually shortened my nails as my right hand technique has improved. 1mm is about the length I use nowadays too. A year ago, I would simply miss the string a lot of times with nails that short.

Very good Tarrega!

Pat, have a nice tour! Fortunately the next lesson only requires posting a single piece, Arrependida, which is one of the easiest ones we've had so far (and if you believe that, you'll believe anything) :P
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:51 pm

:bravo: Eric. Smooth position shifts. :casque: Playing at the very highest positions (>ca. 14th fret) is quite demanding (I.e. to make clean sound with longest possible sustain).

Btw. I'm looking forward to play the Arrependida again. I think the time I spent on it last summer will allow me some time on the other pieces in lesson 9 this month.
Alhambra 11P

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri May 23, 2014 6:11 am

I'm not sure that I could compensate all missed, but at least I'll try.
[media]https://youtu.be/BQooPArJhrg[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”