D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Catherine Livingston

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Catherine Livingston » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Pentii, your submissions sound good. I have nothing more to add to George's comments. Your rendition of Samba Lele is nice. You captured the Samba feel.
George, The Bran Anglais sounds very good. The only suggestion to perfect it further might be to slow down just a tad. That might be just a matter of taste though. The music suggests a much slower tempo (76?), but Professor Delcamp plays it much more quickly than that. You played technically well in my opinion, though. :)

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:34 pm

@Pentti: Sorry, but you're wrong and Win is right, the key goes up, not down, because all the notes go up.
So yes, provided that the key without capo is A minor the new key is D minor.
It's quite ironic, really, considering the piece is called "Branle Anglais en la mineur".

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:35 pm

@Catherine, no, the music does not suggest a much slower tempo, the HALF note is equal to 96, so the quarter note is 192!

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Sorry Win, I was mixing things! Thanks George!

So when original key is A and;
capo is on the fifth fret the new key will be D
capo is on the fouth fret the key new will be Dd/C#
capo is on the third fret the new key will be C
capo is on the second fret the new key will be B
Capo is on the first fret the new key will be Bb/A#

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Well done Cat!

Well balanced playing, clear sounds, good phrasing. Very pleasant to listen to. Just lovely job Cat.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:09 am

George,

You are right about the tempo. I was just a bit confused. It does sound good fast.
-Cat

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:18 am

Well done Cat! Some polishing needed on the descending slurs but good tempo.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Samba Lele
[media]https://youtu.be/O_hBzdhyX7Y[/media]

I want to know how M. Delcamp uses his right hand for the last note (high E). Is he holding down with i and playing with m?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:12 pm

He touches the string at 12th fret with the side of thumb, and plays with 'a'. Note that the string isn't pressed all the way down to touch fret, just touched lightly while the other finger plucks it. Remove the thumb off the string right after the note has been played. It will keep sustaining that way. Also the position where the string is touched must be directly over the 12th fret.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Very good job Satyajit!

Samba Lele is a demanding piece, but you played it very well.
Tempo was good, notes were clear, there was no apparent hesitation and in general it was very pleasant to listen to.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Pentii, thanks for the kind comments about Bran Anglais. I did work on timing with a metronome this time and hopefully this is showing in my playing :D

George and Pentii, thanks for the clarification r.e. the capo fret position and keys. Very interesting.....

Sajyajit, thanks for the feedback.As I continue to work on this piece, I will try to increase the tempo and work on the clarity of the slurs. Thanks for the ideas.

Satyajit, Great job on Samba Lele! :casque: You definitely have a good feel for that piece. Thanks for asking the question r.e. the harmonic at the end. I was wondering about that too.

Samba Lele is still a work in progress, but I wanted to post for feedback before the week runs out. Why does my playing go downhill whenever I turn on the video camera?
I know the timing could be cleaned up. I am hoping to post try #2 on Sunday Thanks for listening + any feedback:)
Cat Livingston
[media]https://youtu.be/so_8Sj5agfU&feature[/media]

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 pm

George, Pentti

Thanks for the reply, that clears up a lot of things I didn't know about capos and the music written for it!

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Cat, Satajit,

Cat, great work on both Branle and Samba both are already at a pretty good speed, and the sound is nice and clear. Maybe it's just me but some of the notes in Beanle sounds a little shorter than others? Otherwise excellent work on both!

Satajit, you have great rhythm on samba and already play at a good speed, great playing!

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks, Marco for clarifying. I'll try this out. I've seen this technique/harmonic in quite a few vids.
Cat, excellent Samba! Thanks, Win and Pentti for feedback.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 am

Bransle Anglais
[media]https://youtu.be/p9Np7JZKGio[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”