D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Catherine Livingston

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:54 am

Satyajit

:bravo:
Nice job with the Branle Aglais. You play the slurs and notes clearly.
I think this piece is supposed to be played through twice (repeat sign).

Cat

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:24 am

Hi all,
I'll upload "Samba Lele" tonight, having trouble playing it at 72 BPM...
In the meantime I wanted to ask a question:
is it actually possible to decently play those pieces after 3 years of playing guitar and no other musical background, especially with the practice times Prof. Delcamp proposed? Like for me just the warm-up takes 20 minutes, I'm playing for about 1 (or sometimes 1.5) hour per day every day for considerably more then 3 years and I'm having quite a bit of trouble with those pieces.
I see that most other people at D03 lessons have a rather strong music background... Do you guys actually manage to play those pieces by dedicating only 2.45 hours per week for guitar? To me that seems completely impossible, so I decided to ask...

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 am

@Cat, you're so right. I should've repeated the section again. My bad. Thanks for the feedback.

@ George, from my own perspective, things like key signatures or rhythm patterns are not difficult to pick up by themselves since I do have several years of Piano playing experience.

It is quite a challenge for me, however, to control hand movements which are far more subtle here than on the keyboard. Infact right through D01-D03 I have been struggling to keep my right hand relaxed and avoid awkward movements.. and getting a clear melodic line from my rather weak left hand fingers. Most Piano pieces are composed with the right hand playing the melody and the left hand the harmony. I feel my brain has to find those neural pathways to undo it's previous conditioning and adapt. Hence to start with playing slowly is the best way forward.

Anyway, not to digress further and to answer your question specifically, yes and no. There are people who can and those who cannot (with the same level of experience and hours of practice). I'm sure the courses have been designed with careful consideration and decades of experience as to what's possible and what's not.

The suggested practice times are indicative and designed to avoid straining your wrists/hands. There are times I've adhered to them and times I've spent hours just like you. Muscle memory has to be carefully built and one needs to pay attention to detail like damping, slurs and overall musicality of the pieces etc.

Many times I've not been able to play a piece decently even after a few weeks. Then somehow it slowly begins to take shape. However, I don't tend to focus on speed so much.

These end pieces are challenging and you're doing fantastic with whatever I've seen of your videos, so don't beat yourself up over them :) We have all summer to practice each one of them until the next level.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:46 pm

George, I think it's important to notice that the proposed practice times are minimum practice times to make any kind of progress. Professor Delcamp doesn't say it is enough to completely master the pieces within 3 weeks, just to develop technically. Also it's noteworthy that there isn't any time dedicated to scales, other type of exercises and warmup. The proposed times are to be spent on musical pieces alone. Also, I think that age is a factor here. Young people learn faster and need less warmup.

It's also one thing to play the pieces technically correctly, slowly and with mistakes, and another thing to play them musically at performance speed, with good tone and with confidence. The latter approach will require working well past the minimum requirements, or being very gifted.

I personally found D03 rather easy because of my prior guitar playing experience, starting at the mid-point of the year and catching up, but found lesson 10 to be unproportionally difficult. It was during D04 that I realized that I need to work much harder than the minimum requirements to be able to post recordings I was even somewhat satisfied with, and D05 required even more work than that.

I think it all comes down to your definition of "decently playing". If you mean by that going to have a recital after 3 weeks of practice 8.15 hours in total, and you actually succeed well, I would say that you've picked a level that is too easy for you. These pieces are meant to push your limits, not being performance ready immediately after the lesson. But if you're really struggling with a specific spot on a piece, feel free to post here a question. It often helps to analyze things with others in order to overcome technical difficulties.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Satayajit,

Great work with Bransle Anglais!
Everyone, sorry I will be really late with this lesson, I have started recording just recently and have been having problems with my camera, may have to wait to get it fixed.

George, regarding your comments, I agree with Marko, I don't think you are supposed to be able to play these pieces perfectly in 3 weeks. I have been playing guitar for a little more than 3 years, and have no musical background before guitar. I find some pieces in D03 harder than others, and some pieces are not that much different from level D02. However it could just be that I am able to dedicate much lesser practice time that I should. I only practice about 30-40 minutes each day on the week days, and a little more on the weekends this year. I definitely feel that I have made less progress than last year when I spent more time practicing.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Thank you George for your comment r.e. practice time at the pace of these lessons. You joined this group late and so far your submissions sound fantastic. I think you must really be a perfectionist. This is a good thing since classical guitar is a challenging but rewarding style.I took lessons back in college and was approximately at the level we are at now when I stopped. I have found that it takes about 45 minutes to an hour of practice on most days for me to make any progress to post something I consider "decent". Level 4 looks much more challenging. There are several pieces to learn each lesson and the learning curve is steep. I am wondering if I'll be able to keep up the pace unless I get started on some of those pieces over the Summer. D03, Lesson 10 is also looks pretty challenging compared to the lessons we have completed thus far.
Thank you Marko for your support and feedback through these lessons. Your comments are helpful to all of us!
-Cat

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Samba Lele:
[media]https://youtu.be/1fPlcqiBsHY[/media]

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 am

And that was quite easily done, George :)

Cat, I agree with you. I'll have to do some serious practicing on D03 lessons as well as some D04 lessons during the summer. However, D04 and D05 pieces are quite delightful.

Win, I think even I might be hard pressed to post the 10th lesson's submissions this April but I've posted the minimum needed to take the exams (7). Happy practicing everyone!

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:07 am

@Satyajit:

1. Nice job with Branle Anglais! After looking at yours I thought it might have been better for me to slow down and play it more cleanly.
2. I think the piano training is helping more far more then you think --- understanding music can be even more important than mastery of the instrument.

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am

@Catherine:

1. Very nice audio!
2. On Samba Lele --- I don't think I'll say anything interesting that you don't know already. Tempo is slightly off in the beginning, probably needs more confidence...

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:09 pm

George,

Very nice with Samba, nice and clear notes!

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here are my submissions for the lesson. All comments are appreciated as always. After watching my own videos, I have noticed my rather awkward left hand once again. I think I will have to spend more time concentrating on getting a better form from it going forward.

Emmanuel ADRIAENSSEN - BRANLE ANGLAIS - some slurs are still not clear
[media]https://youtu.be/6xZKTkaDD8o&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Gaspar SANZ - JACARAS - rather slow chord changes in this one, still needs a lot more practice
[media]https://youtu.be/jrATHJyEnBs&feature=youtu.be[/media]

ANONYME (ca. 1850) SAMBA LELE- Will have to work more on left hand position to get it closer to neck
[media]https://youtu.be/mchmgrEt20c&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Win Chaivipas

Post by Win Chaivipas » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Satyajit

I'm sure just about everyone will be at least a little late with lesson 10 pieces, anyway M. Delcamp said that they were to be practiced during summer, so I guess later than April won't be a problem!

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43 am

George- Your Samba Lele sounds very clear, confident and musical :casque:

Win, The Bran Anglais piece is coming along nicely. Once you figure out a comfortable position for that left hand, it should flow more smoothly for you. Does the capo position have something to do with it? Sitting position? Both of your hands look steady while playing the Samba Lele. .The Samba Lele sounds very good. :bravo: For me this was the more difficult piece and you play

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24 am

@Win: I believe your rhythm is wrong for the intro part in Samba Lele. The strummed parts are played in the last quarter of the first beat, but I believe you play them in the second beat. Metronome + playing very slowly should help to fix it.
Nice overall!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”