D04 Classical guitar lesson 09

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- pages 119 Delcamp, Jean-François Gammes n°29 et 30

- pages 122 Delcamp, Jean-François Mordants et Trilles, numéros 36 et 37
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 18&t=30257

Finally, we'll look at three pieces.

- page 27 Gaspar Sanz: Zarabanda
In this Zarabanda by Gaspar Sanz, the time signature changes constantly, as in the Canario and Guajira rhythms.
In the original tablature (reproduced at the top of page 27) changes in time signature are not indicated.
This Zarabanda in D ends with a half-cadence on the dominant (A).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_%2 ... lf_cadence

- page 34 Robert de Visée: Minuet in A major, R. 4.09
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemiola
In this Minuet by Robert de Visée, the length of the measure doubles at the end (bars 14 and 15). So we go from a 3/4 rhythm to a 3/2 rhythm. I've added dotted lines above the bars to indicate this change.
In my video I chose to play the end of this minuet with a rhythm of notes inégales (unequal notes). The use of notes inégales in playing is typical of the Baroque period. http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory20.htm#egal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notes_in%C3%A9gales

- pages 58, 59, 60, 61 Anton Diabelli Prélude No.6 Opus 103
This prelude is a great exercise for practising repeated notes and an effective preparation for playing the tremolo. I recommend that you practise the six different fingering patterns that are suggested above the first bar. Be ambitious and persevere on the patterns which you find the most difficult, so that eventually you master them all equally well.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- pages 58, 59, 60, 61 Anton Diabelli Prélude No.6 Opus 103

Good luck!

I thank Tuk and Geoff (GeoffB), who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Prélude No.6 Opus 103

LindaWoodford
Prélude No.6 Opus 103

Pentti Kotilainen
Prélude No.6 Opus 103
:( + ♫ = :)

Robert Goodwin

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 09

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just recieved word that the title of your exam piece for D04 will be anounced on Friday 25 April 2014 on the Spanish forum. You will need to be registered on the Spanish forum as a student to participate. There is an 'english' subforum where you can sign up and request student status.

I wish you all, the very best of success with your studies and with the exam.

Remember to tune your guitar before recording. I have noticed a few 'off' sounding recordings in all of the levels recently.

Best regards,
Bob G.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks Bob!

Are you able to give us any clues as to which piece :roll: :D
Regards, Linda

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:44 pm

:lol: I think we'll have a month or so of guessing before we'll know... Here's one clue: It is one of the pieces given in the lessons (not necessarily one of the mandatory pieces).
Alhambra 11P

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:51 am

:lol: So, a piece that all of us diligent students will be familiar with, then :oops: :oops: :oops:
Regards, Linda

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 am

I have noticed a few 'off' sounding recordings in all of the levels recently.
I'm afraid there will be one more of those coming up soon with this Diabelli piece (well, kind of soon, probably 30 min before lesson 10 gets posted :roll: )

I can just about get D on the 5th string to sound vaguely similar to the open 4th (I use an electronic tuner for the open strings, because I'm pretty much tone deaf when it comes to tuning), but D on the 6th is way off unless my low E string is tuned pretty flat. On the positive side, at least this exercise has demonstrated what these "beats" are that people who can tune instruments keep taking about. My guitar (a Raimundo 130 student guitar) was bought for me when I was 12 or 13, and I've never really wanted to consider any limitations of it, because my own limitations are far greater. Is this kind of difference normal for higher end guitars too?

BTW this is the first time I've needed to play that F on the 6th string - amazing to have had the instrument so long and never to have played all the notes!
Regards, Linda

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 am

LindaWoodford wrote:Is this kind of difference normal for higher end guitars too?
I have no experience with luthier models, (and forgetting about the limitations brought on by equal temperament tuning) but I would say that it is impossible to build a guitar that has perfect intonation throughout the neck with any given set of strings. The intonation of my guitar improved considerably when I lowered its action, and switched to a compensated saddle, but it still can be pretty bad with some string sets. I guess it's all relative.

It's also the 'responsibility' of the player to correct for bad intonation with either pushing the string towards the soundhole or pulling it away from it with the fretting finger, to either lower or rise the pitch. That's something that may need to be done especially when playing the bass strings in higher positions.

I also find there's a difference in tune depending on whether I tune the bass strings played open or tuning their 12th fret harmonic. The latter method seems to give me better results when judged by ear, but that I think must be an issue with my tuner.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks Marko. In some ways, that's quite reassuring to hear. However adding the 'on the fly' tone corrections by stretching the strings adds a whole new level of complication, that a part of me wants to pretend I didn't just hear about! I am still at the stage of trying NOT to inadvertently introduce tone changes by trying to fret lightly with perpendicular fingers, rather than skewing the string :chaud:

Perhaps I might go for an intermediate tuning and send Bob some earplugs :D
Regards, Linda

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Sorry I've not been around much this lesson. Here is my best effort so far.

[media]https://youtu.be/288rmBZ7NXY[/media]

:bye: Congratulations if you make it all the way through to the end - it's a long one and there are quite a few stumbles!
Regards, Linda

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

Bravo Linda, its a good job :okok:
It seems you wrong on measure 43 where the B is natural, you play it flat
You took also a lot of freedom with the fingering. Not sure yours that is easier or helps for dexterity
But i'm far from to do as well as you, don't care from my comments and again :bravo:
:bye:

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Thank you very much, Gabriel. You are right about the natural B - thank you, I'll correct that.
I'm also inclined to agree with you about my changed fingering - it was supposed to make the transition to the next section easier, but I'm not sure if is better or worse overall.

How are you finding this piece? I found it very stimulating - in fact, I normally practice in the evenings and find it relaxing, but with this piece, I am so fired up that I can't sleep afterwards!

Good luck!
Regards, Linda

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi everyone!
I've been quite busy lately with DO3 pieces, guitar ensemble group plus many other things. I tried to record today, but my hands felt pretty tired and they were aching a bit too, so I had to stop playing. For that reason I decided to submit an earlier version of the required piece now and letting my hands recover a couple of days (or weeks if needed). The older version, which was recorded earlier this week, includes lots of hesitation and obvious mistakes but anyhow here it is.

Prélude No.6 Opus 103
[media]https://youtu.be/MvqGiMLwYrk[/media]
:merci: thanks for listening
Last edited by Pentti Kotilainen on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 pm

:bravo: Linda!

That was brilliant! Just lovely! :casque: :casque: :bravo:

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Bravo Pentti to have played it in full :okok: :chaud:
It needs lot of pratice to be well played.
LindaWoodford wrote:How are you finding this piece? I found it very stimulating - in fact, I normally practice in the evenings and find it relaxing, but with this piece, I am so fired up that I can't sleep afterwards!
:ouioui: It's an attractive challenge
:bye:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”