D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 83 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ - CEJILLA
Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video.
Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Next we'll work on five pieces :
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE

- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

- page 59 Felix HORETZKY (1796-1870) AMUSEMENT

- page 70 ANONYME (ca. 1850) DOS PALOMAS

- page 62 ANONYME Dans les jardins d'mon pere

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE
- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Robert Goodwin, Alan (Tarbaby), Rich (oski79) and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Professor Delcamp, I would like to thank you for all this great lessons you provided as. Good Summer!

I have a question about the 6 accompanying notes In Dos Palomas in measure 3: When we hit la we stop fa? The same for the next free sol and re. Do we stop the previous or let them sound both? And what about the right hand? p-i-m i-m-p is OK?
Thank you!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:08 am

Another question - I'm confused on a number of elements in the Chaconne sheet music.

First, does the ancient-looking printed notation at the top come into play at all, or is it redundant?

Second, how does one interpret and play the smaller-font/print music? For instance, in measure 4, there is a 3rd string A note that is tiny (why?) and it looks like it is to be a pull-off to G#. However, G# is (apparently) to be played simultaneously with the E chord. How does one do a pull-off and a chord strum simultaneously? I would think the strum would negate the pulloff, wouldn't it? It would just be the A note followed by the strum?

Third, how does one interpret the smaller-printed measure 4? What do you do with that? Is that for the second time through? If so, where is the repeat sign?

Fourth, should the fingering for the E chord appear right at the start of measure 4, rather than the 3rd strum in?

Lastly - is there embellishment and ornamentation in the Delcamp recording? Again, does not seem to match the sheet music in places, so I want to be sure I'm not just missing something. Seems definitely to be the case at the end, but perhaps elsewhere too.

Thanks

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 am

Carl, This chord with pull off is at 0:08min in the video. The smaller-printed measure is an explanation for the chord-pulloff. You play the same chord like the exactly previous with the same left hand fingers, but finger one is also at sol#. Exactly after play you make a pull off with finger three.

I have also a question: What is the ornamentation at 0:11min?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 am

CarlWestman wrote:First, does the ancient-looking printed notation at the top come into play at all, or is it redundant?
That's the original lute tablature. Just ignore it.
CarlWestman wrote:Second, how does one interpret and play the smaller-font/print music? For instance, in measure 4, there is a 3rd string A note that is tiny (why?) and it looks like it is to be a pull-off to G#. However, G# is (apparently) to be played simultaneously with the E chord. How does one do a pull-off and a chord strum simultaneously? I would think the strum would negate the pulloff, wouldn't it? It would just be the A note followed by the strum?
Haris already replied to this. I just wanted to add that for more information google / search wikipedia for 'grace note' and 'appoggiatura' (entry 'Ornament (music)' in wikipedia).
CarlWestman wrote:Third, how does one interpret the smaller-printed measure 4? What do you do with that? Is that for the second time through? If so, where is the repeat sign?
In general, the smaller printed measures are alternative (and often simplified) ways of playing the measure. In this case the measure is identical to the original, with the exception that the appoggiatura has been written as part of the standard size notes instead of a grace note, i.e. written as it is actually played.
CarlWestman wrote:Fourth, should the fingering for the E chord appear right at the start of measure 4, rather than the 3rd strum in?
No, because the start of the measure 4 is A minor chord (without the bass 'A' note).
CarlWestman wrote:Lastly - is there embellishment and ornamentation in the Delcamp recording? Again, does not seem to match the sheet music in places, so I want to be sure I'm not just missing something. Seems definitely to be the case at the end, but perhaps elsewhere too.

The second time he plays it through, he changes the melody somewhat in bars 5-7. I think he also added a 'b' in bar 6 as a grace note before the 'a' on beat 2. And then obviously the ending.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Here is a 1st recording of the exams piece. I know it is not perfect.
Thank you for your comments!

[media]https://youtu.be/BmpITE1SC08[/media]

P.S. Where are you all? Lesson 10 has only 5 posts :)

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:38 am

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Here is a 1st recording of the exams piece. I know it is not perfect.
Thank you for your comments!

P.S. Where are you all? Lesson 10 has only 5 posts :)
Hello Haris.

Do not despair.
With this comment are 6.

You have it very well.
I'm still with the legato.
I'm still counting times and attempt to not release the ropes.
But I try.
This lesson is short, but has difficulty.
This difficulty in our head.

A greeting.
Mariano.

Note:
Thank you for sharing.
The nerves removing.
Mi paso más

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:39 am

Thank you Mariano!
Don't worry, you will do it!

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:17 am

Good one, Haris. I'm just about starting this piece now. I will probably post lesson 10 videos once I gain confidence with the exam piece.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Thank you Satyajit, that is what I do too, except Dos Palomas, I liked it and posted a v1 in Spanish forum.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Here is a 2nd recording of exams piece with my new recorder.
Thank you for comments!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Here is a 2nd recording of exams piece with my new recorder.
Thank you for comments!
Hello Haris.

Listen to your audio. and you first recording.

The sound in the audio is more consistent.
You corregiste the end.
Following a good pace.

You already have it.
A greeting.
Mariano.

Hola Haris.

Escuche tu audio. y tú primera grabación.

El sonido en el audio es más constante.
Corregiste el final.
Siguiendo un buen ritmo.

Ya la tienes.
Un saludo.
Mariano.
Mi paso más

Laura Staats

Post by Laura Staats » Fri May 02, 2014 3:56 am

Your new recorder sounds great Haris. The exam piece is sounding very polished.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri May 02, 2014 9:19 am

Laura Staats wrote:Your new recorder sounds great Haris. The exam piece is sounding very polished.
Thank you Laura, now I am looking for the easiest way to combine it with video. I think I will use my handycam as a webcam, Zoom H4n as audio source both to Movie maker or some other similar program that can capture both. So no sync is needed. If my handycam can not used this way I have to get a webcam. The only problem in this solution is the PC noise.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri May 02, 2014 11:13 am

What recording setup are you using Haris? I'm using the Zoom Q2HD. The ouput is not the same as with a separate microphone, but suffices as of now. I think I'll have to get a separate mic soon and then mix the audio/video which I assume is what most ppl are doing?

Laura your mic is superb.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”