D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Pentti Kotilainen

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Fri May 30, 2014 5:29 am

:merci: Håvard and Stewart for your kind words.
I was also taking a look at your examination recordings and they were fantastic both. :casque: :casque:
:bravo: :bravo:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri May 30, 2014 5:36 am

Hi Stewart,

Very nice interpretation of Nostalgický valcik! I would expect you to get at least a muy bien with that performance.

The workload really seems to increase year after year, and there never seems to be enough time to come up with satisfactory recordings. On the other hand fine-polishing pieces will do little good for technical improvement, so it makes sense to study a lot pieces instead of just a few.

If I was in your position (starting D05 next September), had some practice time during the summer (and I really think you shouldn't stop practice for the summer at least completely), I would spend some time preparing for the next semester by:
- playing scales
- playing arpeggios (Giuliani studies)
- practicing the following pieces from the first half of the D05 lessons:
L01: Melodia de Sor, Vaghe bellezze e bionde...
L02: Estudio en forma de minuetto (Tarrega)
L03: El postillon de la rioja, Ländler (Mertz), Menuet (Bach)
L04: Allegro de la Partita VII (Brescianello), Ballet (Besard), Sons de carillhões
L05: Etude III opus 60 (Carcassi), El sueño de la muñequita

Some of those I listed simply because they're fun to play, but many of them have technical challenges worth practicing more than the allotted three weeks time. At least it won't hurt to identify the technical challenges well before the actual lessons, so you could start practicing the isolated difficult passages before the relevant lesson begins. And possibly have time to work on alternative fingerings if some things feel impossible to do.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Fri May 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi Marko, thank you so much for taking the time to offer such good and thorough advice. I have started to look at the D05 pieces and I know I will have to start practicing and preparing now if I want to be able to do justice to the course. As you say, if I can identify the main technical challenges first (and not have to spend hours on the sight-reading too) I may have a chance! Thanks again, Stewart

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Sat May 31, 2014 7:41 am

:bravo: Chris. Good improvement since your last recording. PS I notoiced that you are not in Alumno de los cursos en linea... Register in the international english thread...
Alhambra 11P

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Sat May 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Håvard.Bergene wrote::bravo: Chris. Good improvement since your last recording. PS I notoiced that you are not in Alumno de los cursos en linea... Register in the international english thread...
+1 for spanish register it is here :bye:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:28 am

Congratulations Pentti, Stewart and Chris! :bravo: :bravo:

Well deserved honorifica, Stewart!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Stewart Doyle

D04 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:57 am

Congratulations to Pentti and Chris, I hope you both decide to join me in D05 next year.

Thanks Marko, the piece did play to my strengths ('not too fast and with feeling' you could say!) but I was pleased to improve on last year.
I've been taking your last piece of advice to heart, including around two and a half hours yesterday looking at a number of pieces and awkward passages. I can't manage as much as that generally during the week, but I have managed to practice every single day since your post. I'm enjoying 'un-learning' the way I used to play Romance now that the pressure is off, the Pernambuco is a blast, I've never played harmonics the way that's needed for the Barrios, but it's a great challenge!
If there was an award for helping and inspiring other students across all the lessons and grades, I think you would be out at the front, with a well deserved honorifica!

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:17 am

:bravo: Stewart!
You really deserved your honorifica.
:bravo: Chris! You did a very nice job.

Congratulations to both of you! :D

:merci: Marko and Stewart for your kind words. :D

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Congratulations Pentii, Stewart and Chris! :bravo:
Pentii, I thought your recording quality and the "feel" of both your D03 and D04 submissions were lovely.

:D Cat Livingston

Pentti Kotilainen

Post by Pentti Kotilainen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks Cat,

and

:bravo: :bravo: to your exam recording.
It was both technically and musically brilliant. :casque: :casque:

Congratulations and best regards,
Pentti

ChrisCapener

Post by ChrisCapener » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:29 am

Well done Pentii and Stuart, I certainly am looking forward to joining you in D05 and will practise through the summer.

Also thanks to everyone for their kind words and encouragement.

:bye: Chris

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:24 am

Congratulations to all on your exam results!

I'm sorry not to have been around the past few months - it would have been great to have been able to finish off the course properly and join in with the final exam buzz, but for one reason or another I've not had chance to pick up my guitar since this lesson 10 was posted. :cry:

Anyway, I hope to start again very soon. :guitare: :mouton:

Most importantly, though, I want to thank everyone their contributions to a great year of guitar playing - to Prof Delcamp for designing such a great course with truly beautiful and inspiring pieces, to the moderators for all of the work that goes on in the background to create the safe, supportive and constructive environment in which we participate, and to my fellow students for the support and encouragement throughout the year. :discussion:

Look forward to seeing you in the Students Corner over the Summer and back in the lessons next year :bye: :casque:
Regards, Linda

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”