D05 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D05 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D05.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Now we're going to work on a series of exercises:
- pages 152, 153 Francisco Tàrrega (1852-1909) Estudio en la mayor n°101, Estudio en mi mayor n°102.

Today we'll look at 4 pieces.
- page 26 Anonyme Se Io M'accorgo ben d'un altro amante
This piece is made up of 3 phrases of 4 bars each. The second and third phrases begin with an upbeat on the last eighth note (quaver) of the preceding bar. Each phrase is divided into two parts of two bars each. The first part of the phrase gathers momentum, suggesting a crescendo and possible accelerando. The second part of the phrase falls away, suggesting a diminuendo and allargando.

- page 64 Dionisio Aguado (1784-1849) Egercicio 19
A very good arpeggio exercise. I recommend that you practise it with the fingers of the plucking hand placed on the strings, as I demonstrate in the following short video.

The passage from bar 7 to bar 8 requires a little-taught technique. Many editors simplify the passage by making the F# which begins bar 8 an octave lower. The solution that I suggest involves using the second finger as a pivot finger. This holding on of the pivot finger is indicated in the score by a broken line linking the last A of bar 7 to the first A of bar 8.

- page 88 Julián Arcas (1832-1882) La Saltarina
This polka-mazurka is based on a phrase structure of 4 bars. Julián Arcas learned the guitar using Dionisio Aguado's method, and later became the teacher of Francisco Tarrega. Julián Arcas bridges the gap between the classical and modern periods. He would also go on to compose in the popular style of his country, the flamenco.

- page 120 Jean-François Delcamp (1956) Prélude n°1 en ré mineur
An arpeggio study in D minor which requires a lot of rubato. Use accelerando to accompany the reduction of intervals within bars. Many bars begin with an interval of a tenth or a sixth, and end with a smaller interval, like a fourth, a third, or a second. You will be pleased to know that bars 14 and 15 serve as a short respite. I particularly like this interlude which fits nicely into the study without dissolving in it. To lead back into the repeat of the first 8 bars, I devised a little "springboard" in bars 27 to 29 from a ninth chord on the dominant (A 9th).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Robert Goodwin, Alan (Tarbaby), Rich (oski79) and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François

Eric de Vries

Pat Hargan

Marko Räsänen
:( + ♫ = :)

EricKatz

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by EricKatz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:04 am

Thank you very much for this ten beautifull lessons, professor Delcamp!

Last year you weren't able to record the pieces from this lesson 10 because of a broken nail. I would appreciate it very, very much if you could find some time to publish at least the mandatory pieces. It would be of great help!

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Found this post on the French forum.
Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 10 byJean-François Delcamp "Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 8:22 p.m.

well I'm a big lazy, I forgot to make these videos.

If I have time between two navigations, I am promised.

: (+ = :)
Translated by g
Re: D05 Cours de guitare classique 10 par Jean-François Delcamp » Mardi 15 Avril 2014, 20:22

ben je suis un gros faignant, j'ai oublié de les faire ces vidéos.

Si j'ai le temps, entre deux navigations, promis je les fais.

:( + = :)
Original
Alhambra 11P

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:20 pm

PS you'll find a slightly different version of The Se io m'accorgo ben... here: D04 Classical guitar lesson 08 Only different in the last bars 14-16.
Alhambra 11P

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 pm

:merci: very much for the videos and another beautiful lesson, Professor Delcamp!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:18 am

Interestingly Professor Delcamp seems to be playing Se Io M'accorgo ben in standard tuning instead of drop D. I think I will do the same to avoid the change of tuning for one piece alone. The use of barre for F major chord in bar 14 seems appropriate.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:26 pm

I'll have to post my recordings a bit early, because in a few days I'm on my way to Italy (Modena, Ferrara, Bologna, Mantua and Parma).

Lesson 10 already. I almost can't believe time went so fast since our first lesson. I wish all my fellow students good luck with the exam! Thanks everyone for your sharp and friendly comments. Together with the video's you send in, it was a wonderfull learning experience.

Anonyme - Se io m'accorgo ben d'un altro amante

[media]https://youtu.be/XxEObYFbz-g[/media]

Julian Arcas - La Saltarina

[media]https://youtu.be/jw_FoNrCGp0[/media]

I hope to see you all next year at level D06. :bye:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:43 am

:bravo: Eric!

Both pieces sounding very good! Especially La Saltarina. Regarding the other piece, did you start the first part too fast? In any case, you slowed down considerably when going to 2nd part. I'm pointing it out, because I think there's a chance that you're not aware of it.

I just started this lesson yesterday, so cannot really offer any technical critique.

It really has been a great year. Have a nice trip to Italy, and see you at the exams! :bye:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 pm

:bravo: Eric, well played! Both pieces sound very good, especially after such a short time. Enjoy your trip to Italy.

Regarding the drop-D tuning for 'Se io m'accorgo', I don't see the point of it: the low D is not played at any point and the altered tuning doesn't make the fingering any easier. For these reasons, I have started playing it in standard tuning as well.
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 am

:bravo: Eric. :merci: for recording before Italy. I think you enjoy playing these :) And I enjoyed listening :casque:. I've not looked at the La Saltarina yet, but I definitely will regardless of whats announced for the exam.

PS I agree with the tuning issue. The D04 version does not have drop D tuning.
Alhambra 11P

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:07 pm

My videos for this final lesson:

[media]https://youtu.be/r0YtT2eP2tM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/vSW3vZ61fQM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/DXh1I95hhlA[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/8eSgLab6WXc[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/xJX6kbHHykM[/media]

The most technically difficult pieces for me are the Arcas and the Delcamp. The challenge with Se io m'accorgo is, perhaps, rather to make it sound interesting. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these performances are very musical, but as always it is a challenge just to record a take with as many right notes as possible!

Thanks for watching, and good luck in the exam! :bye:

A big thank you to Professor Delcamp for these wonderful lessons, which have introduced such a variety of fine pieces. :merci: :bravo:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:46 am

Well done, Pat!

In Tarrega studies your i-m alternation is very good including string crossings. What does require some work is the timing accuracy of position shifting (not to say I can do it any better in fast tempo).

The most notable thing in your videos is how relaxed how right hand looks compared to past lessons. Possibly related to that, your i and m tone is much better than before. Your 'a' finger tone still seems a bit tense, and I think your 'a' finger nail sometimes touches the ringing string when the finger returns back over the string. Having the pinky tied into it may be a contributing factor? Perhaps the nail shape could be better as well. I struggled most of D04 with a bad 'a' finger tone and a hooked finger nail. Now during D05 my 'a' finger nail isn't as hooked anymore, and/or I've learned to shape it better. I also think the tone has improved, but I'm not sure if it's completely due to the changes in nail shape. It could be that I've learned to use that finger so that it produces a better tone. What I do know is that after a period of few days not playing guitar, and starting with right hand exercises, my tone, and especially the 'a' finger tone gets better when my hand warms up, so it's not all in the nail shapes.

Still speaking of tone, your weakest point at the moment is the thumb. I can't see it from the angle of these videos, but the tone suggests to me that your thumb stroke goes pretty much sideways (towards the next string) instead of down towards the guitar body. That makes especially the 4th string sound nasal. I think you should experiment with your thumb nail shape, as much of the thumb tone is determined by the section of the nail that goes between the string and the soundhole, when you plant the thumb on the string, i.e. the left side of the nail. Also, the sharper the left side corner of the nail is, the more sudden the string release, and the more higher partials the string will produce (and less of the fundamental frequency). Possibly rounding the corner slightly will already help, but making it too round will result in scratchy noise, so there's always some trade-off involved.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 am

:merci: Thanks, Marko, that is very useful feedback. I was aware that I had a problem with my a finger, but I had not realised that my thumb sounded so bad. I have been working on the a finger in daily scale practice, trying to solve a problem of the end joint collapsing when playing rest stroke. This doesn't happen with my i or m, only with a, but I have been practising rest-stroke scales alternating i/a and m/a, and I think it is improving gradually.

Nail shape is a real problem for me because I have short nails. Most of the advice about ramping etc that I have read is simply impossible. Unfortunately, the a finger is the biggest problem in this regard - the nail bed ends about 3mm below the end of the finger. If I do manage to grow the nail, then it hooks down in the middle and along the left edge, with a difficult 'corner' in between that frequently snags and breaks, and by the time I have filed around these problems, it is back to nothing again! I have read of people using false nails and glue spots and I think this may be the only solution, but I haven't got around to trying that yet. With the thumb the nail is not a problem, but I will try to improve the stroke.

Re. the elastic band, so far I think that the benefits outweigh any drawbacks. But in the exam piece I find that I can play clearer harmonics using the little finger, so I will have to take it off for that.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 am

Pat,

I wouldn't go as far as to say that your thumb sounds bad. Just that it could sound better. I also forgot to say, that in my opinion in these recordings it sounds better than before, but I brought it up because your i&m tone had significantly improved, so the contrast was bigger than before.

Regarding your 'a' finger, it seems that you have a similar problem than I did, but mirrored. For me the hook was in the middle and right, and probably not as bad as you're having it. Have you tried nail hardener on it? I got some good results using that, and it seems that some of the change (straightening of the nail) was permanent, as I haven't felt the need to use it for many months anymore. "Nailtiques Formula 2 Nail Protein" is the name of the product, and it is sold at least by StringsByMail. I also take supplements such as D3, magnesium and Omega3, so it's possible that the improved condition of my nails is because of those. At least I know that my nail growth significantly accelerated when I started taking D3 in high dosages.

The downside of using nail hardener is the nail using some flexibility, and hence the tone getting 'harder' as well, so I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent solution.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks, Marko. I have been thinking of trying something like that again, although I haven't heard of the one you mention. I've used Hard as Nails before, as well as Nail Envy, but they both flaked off at the edge of the nail when I played. Another product that I've been considering is called Keratex hoof hardener (I think it's actually for horses, but I have read good reports). Maybe something to try over the summer...

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”