D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
IvanHurtado

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by IvanHurtado » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Zafar Haq wrote: Let me explain my setup for recording, editing my videos...
I have "Microsoft Movie Maker software".(Not the Windows Movie Maker 2.6). I, also have "Widows Media Encoder Software" to record video and audio. Both are free and can be downloaded from Microsoft site.
Next is Editing part...
It is done in Microsoft Movie Maker. You can use markers to preserve the video you like and delete the rest. You can add Titles as you saw in my videos. I have not use other effects yet.
Thanks for the details of your video edting software & process Zafar. (Note: The above quote is just a portion of Zafar's post.)
Since I 'd never uploaded videos to youtube or done any video editing, I'm really a newbie to this stuff. However, I did some investigation and found the following which may help others that are in the same boat as me - that is video challenged...
  • First of all, let me state that I am using my iPhone and/or iPad to record my videos. So if your using an iGadget like me, you may be surprised to know (as I was) that the stock iOS Photos app has a built-in feature for video trimming so you can easily remove portions of video clips you don't want. If you press on the video frames at the top it will show a yellow frame that can be dragged to select the portion you want to keep, then press the "Trim" button when done to remove the portions outside of the yellow frame. And you can upload the video to youtube directly from there as well.
  • If you want to add a title page, the stock Photos app doesn't do that, but you can download a free app from Adobe called VideoBite, which allows you to edit/trim videos like the stock app does, and it also allows you to add a title page to the video. There seems to be a character limit as to how long the text in the title page can be, though not sure what that is. However, it should suffice in most cases
  • If you happen to have a newer iGadget, you may have apple's iMovie app (for free). I don't have this app but I'm pretty sure it has tons of features for video editing. I think it costs about $5 if you want to buy it.
  • Finally, as mentioned I've never uploaded videos to Youtube, but I spent some time exploring and learned that Youtube has quite a few video editing features itself. For example, you can also trim sections of videos, add titles, annotations, etc. You can even add a Text page in front of a video and republish it. So regardless of what device you are using to take the videos, you can do all the editing on Youtube itself. That being said, trimming video on Youtube is a bit slow.
So at this point, I think I will trim my unwanted video segments using the stock iOS Photos app (which is fast & free), then upload the trimmed video to Youtube, and finally slap on the Title text page using Youtube's Video Editor.

I hope this helps others like me who struggled a bit with the video aspect of the first assignment... enjoy! :bye:

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:42 am

1 Cordes a vide.mp3
1 Old mac donald.mp3
1 Au Clair de la lune.mp3
I really like lesson Old mac Donald and Au clair de la lune. The damp thing is new for me and with Old mac Donald I had to try very hard with that. Au clair de la lune was good training for my little finger. Why start with m finger?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Jeremy Gillard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Bert Stendahl
------------------
These sounded fine to me. Without actually seeing what you are doing there are no further constructive comments I can make. The only thing that I did notice was you did not play the fermata in Old Macdonald. But, that's a minor thing. Keep up the good work.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

TomRichmond

Post by TomRichmond » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 pm

Bert,

I had a chance to listent o Cordes a vide, which was nice. I think that you could work on muting the previous string when changing strings, for example at the transition from bar 6 to 7.

As you probably know, you would probably get better feedback if you had video, too. For example it sounded like your middle finger rest strokes are a little bit louder than your index finger strokes, and a video might show why which might suggest how to address the (minor) issue.

Sorry, I didn't listen to the other songs yet due to computer issues.

Best,
Tom

Steven Galvin

Post by Steven Galvin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Nice work Bert Stendahl

Ernesto Santiago

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page6 )

Post by Ernesto Santiago » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:38 am

Hello Everyone !

I apologize for my late posting. Work has me extremely busy and I have a stress fracture to my left forearm. So here my first video and I am working on the 2nd one. Any critiques would be very grateful :merci:

[media]https://youtu.be/frQwiDeicZk&feature[/media]

zhihao-wang

Post by zhihao-wang » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:59 am

Hi all,
Here is my homework. Thanks.

My left hand's pinky is hurt by accident and will be always a dolphin finger. It affects the mobility of left hand, and thus I change to use right hand to hold fretboard and left hand to pluck the strings.

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING
[media]https://youtu.be/nP2CB43Hqhg[/media]

Au clair de la lune
[media]https://youtu.be/QEYFotgO7fw[/media]

Old Mac Donald
[media]https://youtu.be/qMUOPaoCMAg[/media]

Regards
Hao

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:50 am

Hi, zhihao-wang
Welcome.
This morning, I have the opportunity to watch your submitted homework studies videos.
1. You don't need to hold the fret board with your left hand. If you have a correct posture and placement position of guitar and your right arm resting on the guitar body. Guitar will stay balance with out left hand support. Yes, You have to use left hand to play notes. In your second study video, (Au clair de la lune), your posture and placement of guitar and your left and right hands look all correct to me. Lets comment on your study videos now.
2. In Open Strings study, I can not see your right hand in your video. I just heard the audio and compare it to music sheet. You played it well, smooth, good tempo, slight finger misplacement sound at before one last bar . good job.
3. I like your playing of "Au clair de la lune" study video. Well played.
4. Same observations for playing "Old Mac Donald" study. Well played. Slight confusion arise at the end of bar 12.
In summary. You did it well. Be relaxed, keep practicing. :)

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi, Ernesto Santiago,
Welcome.
As you mention about your left arm injury, I will not comment on it. Hope you will recover soon.
Your posture, guitar position, right hand look good to me.
Well done. You played it well in one sitting.
Just, need more practice in part 2 of "Cordes a Vide" study. I felt rhythm problem. Half notes to be played for two quarter notes duration. Just count loud 1,2,3,4 for quarter notes and let the quarter notes ring for each count. Hope you will submit the rest of study videos. You are doing well.

Alex Lototskyy

Post by Alex Lototskyy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:44 pm

good day to fellow students and professor. I will start working on this lesson today. I'm slightly behind as I just joined the course though exited. Thank you for accepting me.

Alex

zhihao-wang

Post by zhihao-wang » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Yes, You have to use left hand to play notes. In your second study video, (Au clair de la lune), your posture and placement of guitar and your left and right hands look all correct to me.
Hi Zafar
The piece (Au clair de la lune) is played in left-handed,my video recordings flipped so they look like right-handed.

Regards
Hao

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi, zhihao-wang,
It does not matter, if you are left handed. I, appreciated your smooth playing of "Au clair de la lune" study video.
Hope you will participate in the forum. Watch other students study videos, post your comments with positive feedback advice.

Ernesto Santiago

Post by Ernesto Santiago » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:18 am

Hi Zafar,

Thank you for viewing my video. I wil complete submit the next 2 studies. Yes I was aware of the timing of the notes on the 2 part was off abit. I am glad you have observed the rythem. I just have to slow down abit and feel the music breathing.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Jeremy Gillard wrote:Bert Stendahl
------------------
These sounded fine to me. Without actually seeing what you are doing there are no further constructive comments I can make. The only thing that I did notice was you did not play the fermata in Old Macdonald. But, that's a minor thing. Keep up the good work.
Ditto, Bert! Sounds very good. Don't worry...I overlooked the fermata too! :roll:

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:40 am

Brandon Birse wrote:

Brandon, that sounded very clean to my ears and your positioning looks good, too. I'm jealous!
Thanks Paul. Your's sounded pretty good to my novice ears. Your strumming hand looks more relaxed than mine. Mine cramps up all funny, and I point my pinky out. I tried holding a pen cap in my strumming hand with my "a" and pinky fingers. Maybe I'll continue that unless anyone has a better tip.
Hi Brandon,
Very very god indeed. Timing is spot on and notes ring clear. About your picking hand...it does look tense in the video. Tour hand/finger should drape more loosely over the sound hole. One teacher told me that I should imagine my hand relaxed and free, as it might be just as it reaches for a doorknob...

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”