D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:19 am

Hi Benjamin,

I'd suggest that you post what you have for now, post your question about a better recording software in this part of the forum, and hopefully improve the recording quality on the next lessons.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Jose Ramon Martinez

Post by Jose Ramon Martinez » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:19 am

Here are my D01 lesson exercises in mp3. Sorry for starting late, but I'm dedicating time so I can make it to the exam accomplishing all lessons.
So far have not had time to make a video, but I'm working on that and I'll post at least one.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila

Post by Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Sir,
I decided to switch to my left hand. Since I'm a lefty.
I wanted to use my dominant hand to reach my full potential.
Even after playing with my right hand for 6 months now it still feels more natural playing with my left.
My right hand is weak while fretting. It's still getting used to the stretches but its going faster.
I'll start over and submit my songs again.

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:13 pm

sounds good work on playing rest stroke and with more confidence and timing which I need to work on I have a habit of either speeding up or slowing down. good stuff keep on playing.

Post by Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Here is my submission for D01 - Lesson 01.
I started again with my left hand.
I'll make up for lost time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jose Ramon Martinez

Post by Jose Ramon Martinez » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Good morning Agnel:
Your sounding great and you are keeping a good tempo, which is quite important.

Post by Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks Jose.
Working on Lesson 05 now.

robinmcc9

Post by robinmcc9 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:38 pm

For the timing, such as on D01 page 6, I see 1e 2e 3e 4e 1e 2e 3e 4e.
What does the "e" represent?
Is it a way to see rhythm and timing rather than the left hand finger symbols?
thanks

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:09 am

robinmcc9 wrote:For the timing, such as on D01 page 6, I see 1e 2e 3e 4e 1e 2e 3e 4e.
thanks
Hi Robin, treat the 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e notations as a helpful reference for counting time--or the beats-- with a french ordinal counting flavor :-)
--in this case, simple 4/4 common time, 1 quarter note = 1 beat, 1 complete measure or bar = 4 quarter notes

In english we might count 4/4 time/beats as: 1 ,2, 3, 4 or ta, ta, ta, ta using our voice as a metronome or tap on the floor with a foot while notes are played on the guitar.

On page 6, exercise #1 - most of the notes are half-notes so they are sustained for 2 beats (1 2).
The whole notes in measures 3, 7, 9, 11 & 12 of exercise #1 are sustained for 4 beats (1 2 3 4 ).
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Chandramouli Godhandaraman

Post by Chandramouli Godhandaraman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:10 am

Hi,

I am Chandramouli from Bangalore, India. I wish to learn Classical Guitar. Unfortunatey, the classes nearby teach Guitar in general, no specific classes on Classical Guitar. I request you to kindly add me to the Student group.

THanks & regards,
Chandramouli

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 am

Hi Chandra,

The recent 2014-2015 online lessons have "practically" completed after the Final examinations and June/Lesson 10 although there are some students that have continued to remain active in the student forums in order to continue learning pieces, get feedback when possible, and or preparation for the next session September 2015-June 2016.

The 2014-2015 online lessons are "technically" still active until late August when the forum officially closes and becomes archived in preparation for the next session.

Currently--without registration, you can still view the current lesson forums to get an idea of the material that is covered, the degree of challenge, and how the student group feedback and lesson moderator model works. The disadvantage is that you will not be able to get student feedback.

If you still want to register as a student for the 2014-2015 session, we could add you to the student group, but would ask that you complete lessons condition #2 found here --> "Publicize the 2014-2015 course sessions"

All students--including past/recent students-- that want to participate in the 2015-2016 lessons will have to register in September.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:07 am

Chandramouli Godhandaraman wrote:Hi,

I am Chandramouli from Bangalore, India. I wish to learn Classical Guitar. Unfortunatey, the classes nearby teach Guitar in general, no specific classes on Classical Guitar. I request you to kindly add me to the Student group.

THanks & regards,
Chandramouli
Hi there, welcome to the group.
As John says, not many of us around at the moment. I am around some of the time and if you wanted to get some practice in, before the next session starts in September, I would be happy to watch out for your posts.
Otherwise do start working through lesson 1, at least you will get a head start on next term.

Chandramouli Godhandaraman

Post by Chandramouli Godhandaraman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks John and Colin,

I will complete the lessons conditions, for the next term (from Sept 2015) and start. Thank you for your direction. Looking forward to the next term.

Regards,
Chandramouli

bobmoore

Post by bobmoore » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:24 am

robinmcc9 wrote:For the timing, such as on D01 page 6, I see 1e 2e 3e 4e 1e 2e 3e 4e.
thanks
robin, the "e" means "and" for English speaking folks. It's a way to break counting quarter notes to counting them as 2 eighth notes.
If you were to count the measure of eight 1/8th notes, you would say "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in order to keep time. You would pluck the string on "1", then on "and" for the first two 1/8th notes, then on the "2", then on "and", for the second beat in the measure, then so forth for "3 and" "4 and". So you're able to count eighth notes thru a 4/4 measure and time them correctly.
When you tap your foot to the measure, your foot will go down and tap the floor on the down beats, the "1,2,3,4". Your foot comes up on the "and"s.
If you've ever played chords, you would strum downwards on the beats 1/2/3/4. You would strum upwards for the "and"s. If you strummed all 1/8th notes in a measure, it would look like this:
D = down strum
U = up strum

D U D U D U D U
1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e

I hope I didn't add to your confusion by typing in so much.

To count 1/16th notes, in English, people use 1 e and ah, 2 e and ah, 3 e and ah, 4 e and ah.
I'm not sure I could ever say what happens for 1/32nd notes :)

Best of luck,
Bob

bobmoore

Post by bobmoore » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:28 am

I also have a question.
In order to mute the string in the first piece, I was wondering if anyone had done a video showing how to do this. I read all the posts in this thread, but must have missed it. I'll also go back thru this to see.
Much appreciated,
Bob

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”