D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stefan Srećković

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Stefan Srećković » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Well done Teodora! Though double check your tuning next time, I believe you were out of tune on Oh Susanna and D'anse da villa. :bye:

Erik Baselier

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Erik Baselier » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi David, thanks for pointing that out, i thought it was ok but you are right. So i'll have to pay more attention to rythm then. Thanks, Erik

Ben Spurr

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Ben Spurr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:35 pm

D02, lesson 1, page 7, Anonyme, Danse D'Avilla:

[media]https://youtu.be/HTNOCpCHjh0&list=UU1PS80Idr4gKpXVGlod4Yew[/media]

D02, lesson 1, page 26, Delcamp, Polyphony:

[media]https://youtu.be/PlmTZg_iqeQ&list=UU1PS80Idr4gKpXVGlod4Yew[/media]

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:15 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi Stephan.
Thanks that you notice that my tuning is not right. I think that I should get better guitar like you suggested earlier. :bye:

Stefan Srećković

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Stefan Srećković » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:13 pm

I could borrow you mine, I'm barely using it these days :bye:

Scott Fountain

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Scott Fountain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:25 am

Rameen Raha wrote:Hey All,

Here are my videos for the beginning lessons of D02. It is late though any comments and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Rameen,
Sounded really good, notes were hit perfectly. Tempo was great too. :bravo:

Scott Fountain

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Scott Fountain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:33 am

Erik Baselier wrote:Hi All,

Here my submissions for Lesson 1. I find it still hard to learn even a well known piece as OhSusanna.. There are some irregularities in speed, some buzzing of strings and in general my tempo is a bit too low. Could not play any faster for a recording though.
Hi Erik,
Sound pretty good. The only thing I say was towards the end of Danse D'Avila, you tried to damp but missed. It was only a small thing, no big deal. You sounded good, keep up the great playing :bravo:

Scott Fountain

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Scott Fountain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:42 am

Ben Spurr wrote:D02, lesson 1, page 7, Anonyme, Danse D'Avilla:

[media]https://youtu.be/HTNOCpCHjh0&list=UU1PS80Idr4gKpXVGlod4Yew[/media]

D02, lesson 1, page 26, Delcamp, Polyphony:

[media]https://youtu.be/PlmTZg_iqeQ&list=UU1PS80Idr4gKpXVGlod4Yew[/media]
Hi Ben,

Enjoyed your videos! You did a great job. Only comment is on Danse D'Avila it sounds like the bass notes were played a little stucco. Maybe let them ring out a little longer. :bravo:

Brian Hunker

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Brian Hunker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:50 am

Hello Everyone.

It's so great to see so many of the guitarists from D01 once again here in D02! I found this first lesson very challenging (even more than usual). Everyone who has posted so far seems to have done a really great job. Congratulations to all. This month's lesson was surely a tough one.

While I was practicing, I wrote down a few thoughts that may be worth sharing:

1.) I found myself completely unable to play "Danse D'Avila" or "Oh Susanna" after 1 week of practice. I think it was the dual-rest-stroke technique. My conclusion was just to keep precticing very slowly and not even try to record until I felt more comfortable with the technique... It ended up taking almost 4 weeks, which sounds like a lot, but I feel much more comfortable with the technique, so for me it was worth the wait.

2.) I found the tempo of the 2 songs to be very fast! I kept wanting to speed up, but that just produced so many errors. If, like me you have difficulty with the speed of these pieces, I think the best advice is just to keep practicing them at 1/2 speed for a while longer. That works much better than rushing through with an uneasy sound and feeling.

3.) In "Oh Susanna" I found that interchanging the 2nd string (open) B and the 3rd string (4th fret) B made a HUGE difference in the ease with which the m and i fingers could perform the 16th note phrases. The first 16th note phrase (in which the right hand starts: i-m-i) flowed more easily when using the 2nd string B. The latter 16th note phrase (in which the right hand starts m-i-m) practically does not work at all unless I use the 3rd string B. I believe this has to do with keeping the right hand fingers in a relaxed order where the i finger is never reaching to a higher (thinner) string than the m finger. I didn't notice little important details like this until I had been working on these pieces for nearly 4 weeks. I guess it just takes that long.

OK. Finally, here are my submissions. I welcome your comments/suggestions. Thanks!! :guitare:

[media]https://youtu.be/LVrlSyPAUNg&list[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/gKU3FE7-UIU&index[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/hfrNvmRLajs&index[/media]

Stefan Srećković

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Stefan Srećković » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:03 am

Scott, you need to close your quote tags in order for them to work. I've edited your posts to reflect the aforementioned.

So it's a bit like this:
[ quote = "Name" ] quoted text [ / quote ]

Alternatively you could just use the quote button to quote a particular post. :bye:

Rameen Raha

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Rameen Raha » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am

Hey Brian,

It looks great Brian Hunker! your control and sound both were excellent and also the speed. You have done a great job. I couldn't manage to play them at their specific speeds so I have chosen the speed that I was comfortable with.

Cheers,
Last edited by Rameen Raha on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shelby Brown

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Shelby Brown » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Brian Hunker wrote:Hello Everyone.

It's so great to see so many of the guitarists from D01 once again here in D02! I found this first lesson very challenging (even more than usual). Everyone who has posted so far seems to have done a really great job. Congratulations to all. This month's lesson was surely a tough one.

While I was practicing, I wrote down a few thoughts that may be worth sharing:

1.) I found myself completely unable to play "Danse D'Avila" or "Oh Susanna" after 1 week of practice. I think it was the dual-rest-stroke technique. My conclusion was just to keep precticing very slowly and not even try to record until I felt more comfortable with the technique... It ended up taking almost 4 weeks, which sounds like a lot, but I feel much more comfortable with the technique, so for me it was worth the wait.

2.) I found the tempo of the 2 songs to be very fast! I kept wanting to speed up, but that just produced so many errors. If, like me you have difficulty with the speed of these pieces, I think the best advice is just to keep practicing them at 1/2 speed for a while longer. That works much better than rushing through with an uneasy sound and feeling.

3.) In "Oh Susanna" I found that interchanging the 2nd string (open) B and the 3rd string (4th fret) B made a HUGE difference in the ease with which the m and i fingers could perform the 16th note phrases. The first 16th note phrase (in which the right hand starts: i-m-i) flowed more easily when using the 2nd string B. The latter 16th note phrase (in which the right hand starts m-i-m) practically does not work at all unless I use the 3rd string B. I believe this has to do with keeping the right hand fingers in a relaxed order where the i finger is never reaching to a higher (thinner) string than the m finger. I didn't notice little important details like this until I had been working on these pieces for nearly 4 weeks. I guess it just takes that long.

OK. Finally, here are my submissions. I welcome your comments/suggestions. Thanks!! :guitare:
:bravo: Brian...if you were having problems I couldn't tell. Sounded great!

Shelby

User avatar
Bill Davis
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Nevada, USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Bill Davis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:01 am

Erik Baselier wrote:Hi Bill,
Just listened to your recordings, very nice, you seem to play very easily and with great precision, well done.
In the two polyphones your hand right hand pivots quite a lot between bas and treble notes, but I don't see that in the two other video's. Did you find a way to control your right hand?
Erik
Hi Erik,
Thank you for your kind remarks. I notice that problem with my thumb in certain exercises like Polyphones when it should be a simple movement. This was pointed out last year and I have made some progress on correcting it. But it's mainly in these focused excercises that I have the trouble versus just playing a song. I feel my thumb hangs up on the string so I find I am rolling off the string to compensate rather than striking the string. When I play a song I don't find myself doing that as much, unless the song has a real focus on that movement. I am still trying to figure this one out.

Thanks,
Bill

User avatar
Bill Davis
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Nevada, USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Bill Davis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 am

Erik Baselier wrote:Hi All,

Here my submissions for Lesson 1. I find it still hard to learn even a well known piece as OhSusanna.. There are some irregularities in speed, some buzzing of strings and in general my tempo is a bit too low. Could not play any faster for a recording though.

D02L01 JeanFrancoisDelcamp Polyphony1 (D01p26)
D02L01 JeanFrancoisDelcamp Polyphony2 (D01p26)
D02L01 Anonyme DanseDAvila (D02p7)
D02L01 StephenCollinsFoster OhSusanna (D02p)

All comments are welcome obviously.

Thanks,
Erik
Hi Erik,
I think you spotted most of your areas for improvement and Mr. Yang also noticed a few of the irregularities you probably noticed. It looks like you have nice limber fingers with a good span. I wish I could say the same for me. I Iook forward to seeing your excercises in lesson 2.
Thanks,
Bill :bravo:

User avatar
Bill Davis
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 am
Location: Nevada, USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Bill Davis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 am

Brian Hunker wrote:Hello Everyone.

It's so great to see so many of the guitarists from D01 once again here in D02! I found this first lesson very challenging (even more than usual). Everyone who has posted so far seems to have done a really great job. Congratulations to all. This month's lesson was surely a tough one.

While I was practicing, I wrote down a few thoughts that may be worth sharing:

1.) I found myself completely unable to play "Danse D'Avila" or "Oh Susanna" after 1 week of practice. I think it was the dual-rest-stroke technique. My conclusion was just to keep precticing very slowly and not even try to record until I felt more comfortable with the technique... It ended up taking almost 4 weeks, which sounds like a lot, but I feel much more comfortable with the technique, so for me it was worth the wait.

2.) I found the tempo of the 2 songs to be very fast! I kept wanting to speed up, but that just produced so many errors. If, like me you have difficulty with the speed of these pieces, I think the best advice is just to keep practicing them at 1/2 speed for a while longer. That works much better than rushing through with an uneasy sound and feeling.

3.) In "Oh Susanna" I found that interchanging the 2nd string (open) B and the 3rd string (4th fret) B made a HUGE difference in the ease with which the m and i fingers could perform the 16th note phrases. The first 16th note phrase (in which the right hand starts: i-m-i) flowed more easily when using the 2nd string B. The latter 16th note phrase (in which the right hand starts m-i-m) practically does not work at all unless I use the 3rd string B. I believe this has to do with keeping the right hand fingers in a relaxed order where the i finger is never reaching to a higher (thinner) string than the m finger. I didn't notice little important details like this until I had been working on these pieces for nearly 4 weeks. I guess it just takes that long.

OK. Finally, here are my submissions. I welcome your comments/suggestions. Thanks!! :guitare:
Hi Brian,
Good to see you back. Well, it was worth the wait and yes I too am taking more time to work on these exercises. I hope I can keep up. :mouton:
Thanks,
Bill

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”