D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Beatriz Martin

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:05 am

Hi Duang,
Some people experience that problem, they get nervous when recording and make mistakes. I think this happened to me before in the beginning. The way I do now is that when I feel I have done the best in learning and playing a piece, I do two or three recordings and I picked the best. Now when I record I try not to think about the camera, or how it would come out, I try to play the best I can. When you practice enough the piece to play at least in an acceptable way and you don't think about the camera, then the video and the recording will come out well. So try not to think about the recording :)

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:30 am

Duang Turongratanachai wrote:I feel so nervous when I start recording and always make mistakes :cry:
Nok
Duang, I had this problem too last year but not anymore. This helps a lot: Always play with the recorder on. Even when you try to learn the piece for the 1st time. So, quickly you will get used to recording and you will not have stress. Also you don't have to make a perfect recording, if you notice, all of us have mistakes in our recordings. :)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:52 am

Attending a recital by a professional classical guitarist was an eye opener for me. I was surprised by how many mistakes he made (or more like small imperfections: buzzes, lack of legato in places, notes not sounding because of bad fretting, etc.) And soon afterwards I was surprised by how little did those small imperfections take away from the listening experience. It's just that we're so used to listening to heavily edited cd's that we have unrealistic expectations of what a performance sounds like in reality.

Also, the point of the lessons is to learn, not to post perfect recordings, which is something that I need to remind myself often. There's also very much truth to what Bea and Haris said. The recording gets easier the more you do it.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Here are my submissions for the lesson, thank you for comments.
(I know, polyphonies are bad, but I hate p-i, p-m double apoyando :? )
Hi Haris, sorry for taking so long to comment on your submission. I have been completing assignments for university and haven't had much spare time.

Well done on your submissions. There is not much I can offer you by way of feedback. I'm not sure why you say your polyphonies are bad? I thought they were both very good. Perhaps it's just that they feel awkward to play but they certainly didn't sound that way.

I really like your performance of Gaillarde. It's amazing how different the piece sounds played a little slower and without a Capo on the 5th fret. It's adds a different dimension to it that I liked.

Your Arpeggi was also very nice.

Perhaps the only piece that I can offer any constructive feedback on is the Schiarazula Marazula. I felt at times that bass notes were not as confident as they needed to be. I think also that sometimes the damping of the previous note was not always strong. Perhaps as you continue to practice this piece you could look at playing it slower and concentrating on the bass notes. It wasn't all the way through, but just occasionally the bass notes disappeared underneath the melody.

Other than that, your playing was really nice and your recordings sounded excellent too!!

Rgds,
Paul

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Halil Akaydin wrote:Hi everyone! Nİce job on all your recordings, we've started the year off strong. If we stay consistent, I think
we'll all be better players by the spring.

My audio submissions are attached.
Hi Halil,

Likewise apologies to you too for not commenting on your submissions earlier.

Well done on playing these pieces so nicely. It's really interesting hearing how we have all approached these pieces differently and yet all of us still offered very nice performances.

Your Polyphony 1 was very good. Well controlled and even. Your Polyphony 2 was also good although perhaps not as confident as your Polyphony 1 (which I fully understand as I personally find Polyphony 2 much harder than Polyphony 1),

Your Argeggi was incredible. So fluent and very well balanced (it was easy to hear the bass separate from the treble). I also liked your tempo on this piece too.

You Schiarazula was also very well played and served as good example of how it's sometimes better to play a piece slower but more musical than to play it too fast but without emotion.

Finally, I really liked your Galliarde. You get such a lovely tone on this piece it was a delight to hear (I've listened to it 4 times - I hope you don't mind :D ).

Rgds,
Paul

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Duang Turongratanachai wrote:Hi
I'm still struggling to practice to make the pieces perfect :oops:
I like all of everybody's works and will keep on trying. I also got a problem of making a clip so I think I would do just the sound recording.
I feel so nervous when I start recording and always make mistakes :cry:
Nok
Hi Duang,

I agree with what Bea and Haris have said regarding the recording process. For my submissions I just setup my recorder hit record and played the first piece over and over and over again without stopping the recorder. I think for the Schiarazula Marazula I probably ended up playing it 10 times in a row. Funnily enough, it was the the third take that ended up being the one I submitted!! I guess the point is that if you hit record, then play the piece, then hit stop and listen back straight away you become aware that your are recording yourself. Whereas if you just keep the recorder going and play, pretty soon you forget it's there. And after all memory is cheap these days and you can always delete the takes you don't like (I'm assuming you are using some sort of digital recorder rather than an analogue tape).

One other comment I will make to you is this. In my opinion our goal with these submissions shouldn't be to try and make them perfect (that's too much to ask). Rather it should be to play them "good enough".

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing your submissions.

Paul

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Paul, thank you for your comment!
Carl also wrote about the weak basses and I agree with both of you. I think I should play louder but also find a better placement for my recorder.

I recorded again Gaillarde with a capo and I think more correct notes duration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Paul, thank you for your comment!
Carl also wrote about the weak basses and I agree with both of you. I think I should play louder but also find a better placement for my recorder.

I recorded again Gaillarde with a capo and I think more correct notes duration.
Very nice indeed!! Well done.

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Thank you very much Bea, Haris, Marko and Paul for all your advice.
I will keep on recording and submit the best one.
:merci:
Duang

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:41 am

CarlWestman wrote:On Polyphonie your simultaneous strikes are not always there (neither are mine). I presume your timing is good b/c I can hear your metronome a bit and see you counting
Hi Carl, thanks for the great feedback. It's true, there was about one time that I remember that I didnt do simultaneous strokes. What's funny about polyphonie is that we've been playing it since level 1 and we dont get it perfect. Every time I play I seem to have a different error.

Bea :)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Haris - that new recording with the capo sounds so cool! I wish I had time to learn that one, but I had enough trouble with the ones we had to record. I spent the first week rotating through the 18 pieces provided for practice (never could get them all in one practice session - sometimes getting half of them was hard if I was to spend time working at them!), and since then I've only worked on the recorded pieces. More on that in a moment ... but I really enjoy the sound of that tune as you play it. Too bad some street noise (?) came in at the end.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Time for my dose of humble pie.

I must confess, I did not expect to struggle with all of these. After all, Polyphonie is something we've worked on every year. And I'm quite used to doing argeggios, as they are so common in Sagreras book 1 (which I did for a local class, which got me started in CG). Perhaps it was rust from this summer ... I really didn't play much at all, despite my annual good intentions to record more Sagreras pieces. I hope things go better as I get accustomed to playing again. That said, at some point I'm going to hit a wall that can't be breached without longer practice (and maybe younger hands?).

I did expect Schiarazula Marazula to be challenging, and it was. I spent quite a bit of time on it (forget those minimum practice times) but could never play it flawlessly. Maybe first time through, but couldn't do it twice, with the repeat. And I got tired of dealing with my cameras ... the memory cards fill up and batteries drain very quickly when you do all these takes. So I ended up just doing the audio recording, because it didn't require lots of starting and stopping and wondering if the thing was actually recording.

So here you go ... btw Harris, one of my less-horrible recordings of Marazula was peppered throughout with the background sounds of one of my cats working her claws at her cardboard scratcher! :lol: I was almost going to post that, as it had as few overt note mistakes as any of my others, but I think my tempo was uneven (kitty distraction can be beneficial for nerves but harmful for a steady tempo!), so I'll post another instead.

cheers to all, see you in lesson 2

Ferdinand Carulli (1770-1841)
Arpeggi di tre note – http://youtu.be/qqHCWJ2SGHI
Ferdinand Carulli (1770-1841)
Arpeggi di quatro note – http://youtu.be/1LorAsrOO7Q
Delcamp Polyphonie 1 – http://youtu.be/if4esPlPUfo
Delcamp Polyphonie 2 – http://youtu.be/OHNVaoHR48c

Giorgio Mainerio (1535-1582), Schiarazula Marazula
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:35 pm

:bravo: Carl,
I like your arpeggi. You had a problem transitioning to bar 6 in arpeggi 3. I think your fingers weren't ready and you had to look at your left hand to place them.
In polyphonie 1 I didn't see you dampening the open E on the sixth string in bar 4. You didn't do after playing the open A on the fifth string. I am not sure if you slightly muted it with your thumb before playing the A.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi Carl,

Nice playing. I really liked both your Arpeggi's. Just to pick up on Bea's comment about the transition to Bar 6, when I practiced this section, I practiced the last 2 triplets in Bar 5 and the first 2 in Bar 6 repeated continually over and over (slowly at first of course!!). In doing this I discovered that it was easiest to place my fourth finger on the high D on the 2nd strings at the same as when I played the open D. And similarly when I played the high D, I moved my 1st Finger from the 2nd String to the F on the 1st string. It's almost like a spider walking one step at a time ahead of the notes to be played. To me this was easier then trying to move both fingers at once to play the chord shape. I hope that makes sense? If you haven't done this before, it's best to practice this slowly and in fact you'll find plenty of opportunities in this study to try this approach.

Your polyphonies were also very good. One small thing I noticed with polyphony 2 is that in the last line you play the open high E only with you i finger. I know that there is no RH fingers marked on this section so I guess we are free to choose whatever fingers we like but I wonder whether for the sake of the exercise it's better to alternate the i and m fingers all the way through the study?

I liked your Marazula a lot and especially your tone (in fact I liked your tone in all the pieces). I did notice a small error in the bass notes in Bars 4, 8, 12, 20 & 24. In these bars you played the A twice in the bass instead of playing A - E. Other than that, it was very good.

Cheers,
Paul

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Beatriz and Paul! Bea, I hope I'm just rusty, but Paul brings up a good idea and I do remember on one piece in D02 with some particularly tricky LH damping that I had to move fingers into place either in advance of needing them to play - or to simply dampen instead. It feels strange at first (and at second!) to move LH fingers into place without intending to play a note with them right at that moment. On this particular one it s/n have been that hard ... hopefully I'll get back in playing shape.

As for the bass notes on Marazula, I appreciate you noting that. I had not noticed ... but it's not unheard of for me to misread notes and then practice the piece many times with the wrong notes in mind! This time I don't think that happened, but I may well have played it that way. I just ran through it again myself to see how I played it and generally I pull up on A-E with i and m of my right hand, so I suppose what must have happened is that I didn't pull up evenly and the A got lost in the sound of the E. Thanks for noting it though.

Well on to lesson 2. Hopefully there are fewer than 18 to work on in the first week!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”